The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings! I'm going to be attending a racing school in May and was advised to get a racing shoe. There isn't anywhere local to try on shoes so I was curious if anyone here could tell me how the brand of their shoe compares a "regular" shoe brand. For instance, I wear a size 11 in Nike, but a size 10.5 in Vans. Before I order, I'd like to make reasonably sure I'm getting the right size. Can anyone let me know how their shoes compare?

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Greetings! I'm going to be attending a racing school in May and was advised to get a racing shoe. There isn't anywhere local to try on shoes so I was curious if anyone here could tell me how the brand of their shoe compares a "regular" shoe brand. For instance, I wear a size 11 in Nike, but a size 10.5 in Vans. Before I order, I'd like to make reasonably sure I'm getting the right size. Can anyone let me know how their shoes compare?
Time for a trip to Speedware in Redmond!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
True racing shoes feel more like socks than shoes; you really need to try them on in person to find a brand, model, and size that fit your foot size.

ed

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
+1 try them on.
sparco are huge for what they say the sizes are.
I sent back 2 pairs before i got it right.
simpson seem to be true sizes , = to my nike sizes.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Go a half size smaller than your tightest regular shoe. That's my rule of thumb. Like Ed said, they are more like socks than shoes and you want them to fit that way while you're driving. These aren't your hiking shoes, after all!

·
Registered
6 Posts
racing shoes are for driving not walking around all day.
i agree go smaller, but if you think you will be walking
and standing around all day, take another pair of shoes for
that.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I'm hoping to go to Speedware on Friday or Saturday afternoon. I am doing the 2-day course in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
494 Posts
All said, it can depend on what you are driving.

I had been using Safequip shoes which were very "socklike" and tight. But in my Spec Racer Ford, I was having issues hell and toeing because the pedals are actually spaced farther apart than in most formula cars and many sports cars with tiny footwells.

I switched to a slightly bulkier Piloti shoe -- which has a wider, squarish sole instead of the "narrow rubber, everything else wraps around your foot" and life suddenly got MUCH better.

Steve

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like I'll just end up going to Speedware. Thank you all for your input, very valuable information.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't forget the gloves while you're trying on shoes, Skippy provides the helmet and suit.
Thanks, already have a set for when I go to HPDEs :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts