The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finalising the refitting of the front clam on my '06 Exige after upgrading the hoses to braided ones.

When I removed the side quarter panels, a number of aluminum shims sprung out. Although I attempted to view their location when I removed the other side, I was unable to see how it all fitted together..... and they simply sprung out as well.

Now that I am about to refit them, I am struggling to work out where exactly the shims are located..... in addition and somewhat worryingly I only have seven of them.... i must be missing one of them.

Can anyone explain to me where they are located......

·
Registered
803 Posts
shims are installed based on your specific car

Unfortunately you are in a very difficult position. The shims are installed based on the specific measurements of your car, how the mount points of the clam align, and how big your clam is. So if you are not careful when removing your clam, you will not know where the shims are supposed to be.

At this point, your best approach is to mount the clam with an even number of shims on each side and hope the body panels align evenly. They will be off a slight amount and if it bothers you, you can loosen the mount point, install more or less shims, and tighten. It is a pain to do.

On the other hand, I found my alignment was closer when I reinstalled my clam and was happier with the panel gaps and position.

You might take a look at my tutorial on removing the clam as I thought I mentioned the shims. It might give you some idea of where they go...

(Sorry, I am on vacation and so cannot point you to the exact page on my site. Explore The Sands Mechancial Museum for the Elise maintenance section...)

Michael

1 - 2 of 2 Posts