The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

Still in the process of figuring what the prior owner(s) did to this car. As mentioned previously, the car is running dangerously lean with AFRs in the 15s even under low boost. Going the BOE Torque 300 route and getting the parts installed.

After taking a look at the SC pulley, it appears to be an item that is not longer offered and perhaps a two or three-piece design that resembles a "quick change" type of pulley.

I removed the four retaining bolts and now have this on the SC shaft:

Another pic from above:

I'm trying to figure out how to remove this. I'm hoping that this is two pieces and the nut is holding the flange. Anyone seen this before or have any advice on removal?

Additionally, this is rather concerning! I'm going to go with a 3.0" pulley

Thank you.

Gene

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Hi All,

Still in the process of figuring what the prior owner(s) did to this car. As mentioned previously, the car is running dangerously lean with AFRs in the 15s even under low boost. Going the BOE Torque 300 route and getting the parts installed.

After taking a look at the SC pulley, it appears to be an item that is not longer offered and perhaps a two or three-piece design that resembles a "quick change" type of pulley.

I removed the four retaining bolts and now have this on the SC shaft:

Another pic from above:

I'm trying to figure out how to remove this. I'm hoping that this is two pieces and the nut is holding the flange. Anyone seen this before or have any advice on removal?

Additionally, this is rather concerning! I'm going to go with a 3.0" pulley

Thank you.

Gene
I do not recognize that setup, but the conventional advice is to hold the pulley with a strap-wrench (not super easy).

In your case to looks like you could find an Harmonic Damper Pulley Holding Tool that would fit.

Also, watch the offset on any new pulley you buy. I've had one that did not match the other pulleys on the belt.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not recognize that setup, but the conventional advice is to hold the pulley with a strap-wrench (not super easy).

In your case to looks like you could find an Harmonic Damper Pulley Holding Tool that would fit.

Also, watch the offset on any new pulley you buy. I've had one that did not match the other pulleys on the belt.
Thanks. I fabricated a tool that is similar to a harmonic damper pulley unit, but the hub will not budge. I'm going to try a Magnuson 3.0" pulley with an 0.4" offset which matches the offset of the pulley I've removed. If that doesn't work, I'll likely have to cut this hub from the SC shaft which will probably require removing the rear clam. Arg!

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
You removed that 4 sided bolt right? Still wont budge? Cutting it up a little with a dremel or chop saw to the extent the clam allowed would be my next step, getting it hot while cutting plus releasing some stress will help.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
I would try soaking with pb blaster for a few days, then try and get an impact in there. The shock is not great for the plastic gears in the SC but your tool should be able to brace well enough to protect them. Some heating with a jet lighter or a MAP torch may help. The shock and heat may break the bond.

A nut splitter is another device I'd consider trying.

Otherwise get a Dremel with a diamond wheel and start cutting that nut. The heat may work before the cut is even complete.

That being said, taking the clam off is an inevitable move at some point :)

Good luck!

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
To follow up on what kfennel said, that 4 lobed thing appears to be a nut, it has to come off for the hub of the pulley to come off. I don't know if a * point socket would hold it, or an adjustable wrench or what. Ho;d the hub with a strap wrench and undo that 'nut'

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
You removed that 4 sided bolt right? Still wont budge? Cutting it up a little with a dremel or chop saw to the extent the clam allowed would be my next step, getting it hot while cutting plus releasing some stress will help.
I did, and it's not moving a bit. My handmade tool is working fine, but I'm starting to round the flats on the nut using crows foot wrench (1"), so need to try a socket or move to cutting. I will hit it with some PB Blaster and heat first. I agree it has to be a nut given the MP62 SC shaft and I suspect the spline is captured by the larger hub/flange. I actually used a bore scope to get a close look at the junction between the nut and the hub/flange and this does look like two pieces.

Thanks all. Will see how this goes...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Update-

After trying heat, PB blaster and much wrenching, I could not remove the hub and nut. However, I did find a 3.0" pulley with the exact bolt circle and dimensions that works from Magnuson. I installed this with a longer belt and have no issues.

However...the car is only producing 5lbs of boost, but the density altitude (DA) yesterday was quite high (3,000' elevation, but 9,000' DA) with the 3.0" pulley (tapped into the IC pipe on the passenger side) and running very lean even after replacing:
  • injectors
  • ECU/tune
  • coil packs
  • plugs
  • MAF
I'm thinking an air leak or fuel pump issue. I have a BOE surge tank that will be added, but also noted that someone cut into the rear bulkead to access the stock fuel pump. This will be the first place to check given all of off the odd modifications that have been done to the car.

Any other things I should look for?

Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts