The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fell in love with the car and had to have it, so I convinced my wife that it was a good investment and I could make some money on it. Now as April gets closer, instead of thinking this will be a great car to own, she wants me to sell it(my baby). I'm at a loss as to what to do and I only have 2 months.

Frank
#4 Elise in St. Louis

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
I think you should either:
  1. listen to your wife and get a more reasonable replacement car, or
  2. divorce her and use your new Elise to find a replacement woman.
It all depends on what's more important to you.

If you're not planning on owning the Elise, though, you should withdraw your deposit. If you try to sell your spot, your dealership will likely void your contract and try to sell at a profit themselves. If you try to buy it and flip it, you'll probably break even (once you count in tax). In the end, all you'll do by trying to profit on the car is making the Elise market more difficult for those who will actually own one.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Frank, Frank, Frank... :p

Seriously, if you want the Elise, then you should tell your wife that you want the car. She should understand. If she doesn't... I'd say buy it anyway! ;)

If you're serious about flipping it (buying it, then selling it), then trust me (and Steve) when I say that you'll break-even at best. The tax and license on the average $45K Elise in SoCal is about $4,162.50... so you'd have to sell the Elise for $50K to break even.

Personally speaking, I'm done with giving-up my enjoyment to satisfy "the other half." (not that I have one anymore...) Hence why I have a garage full of "impractical" cars (with the exception of the A4.)

Bob

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Chuck,
Welcome to the board, have you placed your order yet?
Can you handle the Elise financially? I.e would it cause a strain on your lifestyle and budget. If so, then perhaps you can have a chat with your wife. I'm with rtking on this, given the above scenario, she should understand you passion and ferver for this illogical lustful toy.
However, if the purchase effects your life adversly then that's a whole different story.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Hmmm... selling your baby... now there's an idea. If you can slide back on the list 9 months or more till your elise delivery date, just get the wife to pop one of those buggers out and then sell it on the black market to afford the elise! ;)

Disclaimer: Ok... I'm just kidding here... I would never seriously advocate this. My gf doesn't like that I even wrote this. Which is mostly why I said it...

Cade :D

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
chuck-03 said:
I fell in love with the car and had to have it, so I convinced my wife that it was a good investment and I could make some money on it. Now as April gets closer, instead of thinking this will be a great car to own, she wants me to sell it(my baby). I'm at a loss as to what to do and I only have 2 months.

Frank
#4 Elise in St. Louis
What color and options did you order? It sounds like your wife wants you to sell it and you told her that was the plan from the outset. How much over MSRP does she want you to charge?

It sounds like Frank is trying to sell his spot and using ET to do it...the sad story is not cutting any ice with me.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
MotorCade said:
Hmmm... selling your baby... now there's an idea. If you can slide back on the list 9 months or more till your elise delivery date, just get the wife to pop one of those buggers out and then sell it on the black market to afford the elise! ;)

Disclaimer: Ok... I'm just kidding here... I would never seriously advocate this. My gf doesn't like that I even wrote this. Which is mostly why I said it...

Cade :D
Philosophically that's not much different that "A Modest Proposal" by Jonathan Swift. :D

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Maybe Chuck never had the intention of keeping the car in the first place and wanted to sell it to make a decent profit for his "investment" and now he's just making up a story about his wife wanting him to sell it. Just a conspiracy theory. :D

Chuck,

You should trade up on the current model of wife. :D

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
huggy bear said:
Maybe Chuck never had the intention of keeping the car in the first place and wanted to sell it to make a decent profit for his "investment" and now he's just making up a story about his wife wanting him to sell it. Just a conspiracy theory. :D

Chuck,

Is it Chuck or Frank and does he even have a wife:)

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Maybe Chuck never had the intention of keeping the car in the first place and wanted to sell it to make a decent profit for his "investment" and now he's just making up a story about his wife wanting him to sell it. Just a conspiracy theory.
And I bet Chuck's not his real name, either! I bet it's really something like Frank. :D

edit: beat me to it! aaagh.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
huggy bear said:

Chuck,

Huggy, dud you crack me up:D

LOL,
Mitch

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Hey Chuck
If you really want the car and can afford it (but then again if you really want it you'll find away to afford it). Go get it. Life is too short, enjoy yourself. You can't get back yesterday!
And tell your wife to relax. :cool:
Welcome to EliseTalk.

Neil

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry the wife thing is true, so no conspiracy theory there.

And my nickname is chuck cause my middle name is Charles...

On a side note, since the Elise has a Toyota engine, does anyone of know of any simple tricks to improve HP yet? I read the engine itself is capable of handling 300HP, but I don't know if lotus has released any information to the aftermarket to make it happen.

Also, I heard that if the Elise sells well here(and it is) then they my bring a streetable Motorsport Elise over. Does anyone know anything about that?

Just wondering.
Chuck-Frank

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Welcome

Chuck-Frank,

Just giving you a hard time. I'm going assume you can afford it. I think you should get the car and on the first night take her out on a nice dinner date driving the Elise. She'll be so blown away at how amazing the car really is and she'll change her mind. If after that she still wants you to sell the car, then you can still do so without very many miles on the car to affect resale value. I'm pretty sure you'd be able to cover what you paid for the car and maybe even then some.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
It is completely obvious to me that your wife is quite unsuitable for everyday use to and from home. You need to keep the Elise and find a wife that is less likely to break down.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Re: Welcome

huggy bear said:
Chuck-Frank,

Just giving you a hard time. I'm going assume you can afford it. I think you should get the car and on the first night take her out on a nice dinner date driving the Elise. She'll be so blown away at how amazing the car really is and she'll change her mind. If after that she still wants you to sell the car, then you can still do so without very many miles on the car to affect resale value. I'm pretty sure you'd be able to cover what you paid for the car and maybe even then some.
Unless she's into cars she's likely to hate the Elise if it's loud, cramped, difficult to get in and out of, etc. Remember that just because we think it's the best thing since sliced bread doesn't mean non-car people will. I have no doubt that my wife will not like this car. I'm just lucky to have a very accomodating wife.
To get out of the car what you paid for it (assuming you get MSRP) will mean that you have to sell it for MSRP plus delivery, tax, title, and license. That is likely to end up being more of a markup than many dealers are suggesting they'll sell their 'surplus cars' for. I doubt that you'll get it.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Maybe she has realized what a babe magnet it will be? :eek:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Maybe, but no back seat so no worries. :D

Does anyone know anything about a motorsport version for the street or do we have to build out own. :cool:

Not that that would be a bad thing I might add.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
chuck-03 said:
Maybe, but no back seat so no worries. :D
Well, you could alays ask your wife to get out. ;)

As for the Elise, if you don't get the car, you'll regret it. You'll especially regret it when we start posting thread like, "MY ELISE HAS ARRIVED!!!" or "BETTER THAN SEX!!" And the pictures we'll post will kill you!

If you can't be honest with your wife, then I sugguest you lie. :)
You can simply tell her you'll take delivery of the car, which is when the feeding frenzy will be at it's peak and then flip it for $10K over. Show her the eBay add:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2463043531&category=6312

When your car does come, you can say the market took an unexpected turn as many Elise owners either flipped their cars for profit, or sold it because it was too "hard core" of a sport car for the average Joe. Simply put, you miss judged the market. Economist do it all the time -so why can you! :)

After that, you can play the "it-will-be-a-classic" card, especially considering the 2007 model will be a redesign to meet overly strict U.S. regulations. :)

As for fliping the car for profit, I don't think you'll really come out ahead unless you get your Elise with the first shipment. I think there will be a lot of speculators who will unload their Elises and a lot of other's who missed judge the practicality of the car. I think there will be a lot of used Elises on the market after 2 to 6 months. Car's generally aren't good financial investments.

Get the Elise - you know you want it! :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts