The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
frustration has set in. I need advice. i have had a house for sale for over a year the first year with and agent now i am doing 4 sale by owner. I will take any advice on how to get sold. i have priced at $60 per square foot. the house next door is $74 per square foot. the house can be seen at forsalebyowner.com zip code 72956 my house is the van buren listing.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
The real-estate market has been in an enormously inflated bubble over the last couple years, and that bubble is starting to burst. Had you closed on your property 6 months ago, you probably could have still gotten top-dollar for it. It will be more difficult now, with so many selling their homes and so few looking to buy.

My advice regarding any kind of investment is that if your next-door neighbor is doing it, you shouldn't do it. In this case, that would apply to selling your home. If you are willing to sacrifice it, then you should drop the price. Otherwise, hold it for 10 or 15 more years (and rent it out) until real-estate prices have started to peak again.

What I plan to do is to wait for interest rates to go up to about 7%. Then I'll rent out my place and look to buy a new house cheap.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
I realize that the above post doesn't do anything to help you sell your house.

I think a small investment in landscaping will significantly increase the sellability of your home. You need some color! Maybe a stone path coming out to the street with a nice little tree and some flowers will do the trick!

Inside, you should lighten up your walls. Dark walls with white moldings provide a striking contrast, but have the double-negative of turning off many people and making the place "feel" smaller. I would strip off the wallpaper and paint all your walls in complementary neutral colors - beige or off-white are always good choices.

Also, get rid of the header-band around your bedroom walls. That cheapens the place. Replace it with crown molding to match the rest of the house.

I think a few thousand dollars invested could really make your house show significantly better.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I agree on improving curb appeal. Post some pics of your home and we can offer real suggestions.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for advice. i have posted pics. at forsalebyowner.com you can view house if you type in zip code 72956 and look at the house in van buren. as for waiting to sell i already bought other house last year thinking mine would sell fast. wrong!!!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
901 Posts
HOGFAN:

We did a 4-Sale by Owner about 9 months ago and sold in 5 hours.

Try running an ad in the Vanu Buren or Fort Smith paper with a photo of the front of the house. Have the ad read "Open House Next Weekend". Give explicit directions and buy some signs at Hoem Depot/Lowes to point people toward the house. We even did a booklet (3-4 pages) with photos of the house in one of those little info holders in the front yard.

We had people calling us all week long to see the house early. We told them it would be open Sunday. We had four offers and got $2,000 more then our asking price! Granted the market was a little hotter then.

My $0.02!

Mark Pfeffer

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Ah, I see the pics now. I now understand why Steve gave his advice and I agree with him.

The front of the house looks nice enough, though maybe a little plain (not enough vertical vegetation?). I would add a little color with hanging flower baskets on the porch. If it was my house, I would remove (or cut back?) those two bushes which pinch in on the walkway entrance. The entrance on the house is quite nice and should look more inviting.

Strip off the wallpaper. Use light paint everywhere. Dark does not help sell.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts