The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much savings(if any) are FE buyers getting? Will a fully optioned non FE be more? This may influence my decision on whether I wait and spec a standard car. I don’t really want to pay for some of the included FE options, but if they’re ‘free’…

Why is the V6 supercharged in this car rated at 4.3 seconds to 60, and in the Evora it’s under 4 seconds? 19 or so horsepower doesn’t equal .4 seconds.

Where do you think the base price of a V6 non-FE will land?

What do you think a FE AMG 4 will cost?

For the Evora owners: What’s insurance like on these cars? Expensive? Stupid expensive?

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
🍿

Reactions: GDBB

·
Registered
190 Posts
With the way inflation is going, I wouldn't count on the Emira ever being a better deal than right now. Simplest thing would be to put down a deposit and at least have the option to place the order for a FE when your number comes up. (assuming they're still accepting deposits for FE cars; I don't know) Which options would you skip from the FE if you could?

·
Registered
876 Posts
How much savings(if any) are FE buyers getting? Will a fully optioned non FE be more? This may influence my decision on whether I wait and spec a standard car. I don’t really want to pay for some of the included FE options, but if they’re ‘free’…

Why is the V6 supercharged in this car rated at 4.3 seconds to 60, and in the Evora it’s under 4 seconds? 19 or so horsepower doesn’t equal .4 seconds.

Where do you think the base price of a V6 non-FE will land?

What do you think a FE AMG 4 will cost?

For the Evora owners: What’s insurance like on these cars? Expensive? Stupid expensive?

Thanks for the input!
We don't know yet how much the savings is, but I'm guessing it's pretty decent. When you look at the options list for the Cayman GTS 4 which the Emira is mainly competing with, the prices of things add up right quick. I'm going to guess we're saving at least $12-15k compared to adding them all individually to a base car.

The horsepower and 0-60 times are asterisked as 'targets', meaning they aren't the final numbers yet. We won't know what the final production numbers will be until the vehicle has gone through and passed homologation.

We can only guess at this point, but my guess is the V6 non-FE is going to be around $80k U.S., but that's up for grabs due to the ever-rising inflation we're experiencing right now. That can affect everything including options, so I don't see the prices coming down anytime soon for an Emira. The current advertised price for the V6 FE is probably the best price you're ever going to get for what it's offering.

This is hard to estimate, since we don't have the prices for the individual options yet. I know forged wheels aren't cheap, so I expect those to be at least $4k. The Michelin tires are likely to be more than the Goodyears, so the Driver's Pack which includes the Sport Suspension is probably going to be a few grand or more. If I remember right, I think Porsche charges $600 just for painting the calipers, so that's probably about what Lotus will charge. Porsche also charges over $3k just for their version of Seneca Blue. I would expect the premium metallics for the Emira to be at least a $2k+ option. Then there's the KEF audio system. KEF audio gear isn't cheap, so that's likely to be a $2.5k+ option.

As you can see, priced individually, you can blow past $10k quite easily and have only half what the FE bundle includes. With the Porsche, you can blink and be past $10k. To match on the Porsche what the FE offers, you'd be more like around $25k+. Just as a ballpark guess, I'd say plan on adding $15k to the base price of the AMG 4 for the FE version. The problem is, apparently they aren't even going to start producing those until year 2023, (calendar year, not model year) so by then, who knows what inflation is going to do to prices. Right now we're at 7.9%, and it's climbing. This is starting to look like the Jimmy Carter years, and by the end of that, we were over 12%.

I don't know how the insurance companies are going to rate this car. Hopefully it will do well in the crash and rollover certification tests, which would help keep the rates down. Not having 670 hp will also help.

We're all just getting bits and pieces of information right now, so there's still a lot of speculation. I don't think Lotus even knows a lot of this yet to be honest. Scott Walker at the showing event at the Concorde exhibit in England, said they've been used to making about 1,600 cars a year, and the response they've gotten for the Emira has been completely overwhelming.

We just have to be patient and keep watching and waiting.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a deposit down since July 12th. :)

I'd skip the safety stuff, the extra adjustable seats, convenience options, etc. I only drive my 4C one a week for an hour or so, so I simply don't need many of those options. They are nice though!

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
Based upon my Evora 400 ownership here's what I'd have in my mind for expectations:

V6 Emira nicely equipped - $95-105k
Insurance - $1500-2200 per year with $250 deductible ( I'm with Hagerty and my Evora 400 is $1800 p/year with guaranteed Value of $115K. Clean record and middle aged )

Completely agree with @Eagle7 that it's only going to get worse, possibly much worse. Hang onto your butts folks!

·
Registered
536 Posts
I agree that Emira is cheap in today's market. The Esprit was 75K back in the 90s and they don't have the aluminum chassis or the Toyota powertrain.

IIRC insurance charges more for a 2-seater sport cars. The Evora is a 2+2, so I think the rate will be lower than the Emira. If you are concern about 10k difference in options; then ordering an FE Emira is the way to go. Price will creep up every year afterwards.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I’ve had two dealerships state that the opportunity to get an FE has probably passed. They said they will know more soon, from an upcoming meeting with Lotus, but people preordering now are most likely going to get non-FE models. One dealership suspected that manual transmissions will be first to rollout, as they have been athe vast majority of the reservations. They also believe the most popular colors will get run through production first, to maximize output.

This was purely speculation on their part, but it makes sense. You wouldn’t, create pruduction queues based upon the reservation number. That would require too many changeovers.

I was told most likely mid 2023 for my v6, unless Lotus can very effectively scale production. Again, this was based upon the limited info available from Lotus, and not knowing how many people may eventually drop from the reservation list.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I’ve had two dealerships state that the opportunity to get an FE has probably passed. They said they will know more soon, from an upcoming meeting with Lotus, but people preordering now are most likely going to get non-FE models. One dealership suspected that manual transmissions will be first to rollout, as they have been athe vast majority of the reservations. They also believe the most popular colors will get run through production first, to maximize output.

This was purely speculation on their part, but it makes sense. You wouldn’t, create pruduction queues based upon the reservation number. That would require too many changeovers.

I was told most likely mid 2023 for my v6, unless Lotus can very effectively scale production. Again, this was based upon the limited info available from Lotus, and not knowing how many people may eventually drop from the reservation list.
Their state-of-the-art automated paint system doesn't require batch processing. It can paint different colors individually, so they could actually process cars by date order. That will be nice for those who ordered the less popular colors, since it won't necessarily delay their order.

·
Registered
318 Posts
1. How much savings(if any) are FE buyers getting? Will a fully optioned non FE be more? This may influence my decision on whether I wait and spec a standard car. I don’t really want to pay for some of the included FE options, but if they’re ‘free’…

2. Why is the V6 supercharged in this car rated at 4.3 seconds to 60, and in the Evora it’s under 4 seconds? 19 or so horsepower doesn’t equal .4 seconds.

3. Where do you think the base price of a V6 non-FE will land?

4. What do you think a FE AMG 4 will cost?

5. For the Evora owners: What’s insurance like on these cars? Expensive? Stupid expensive?

Thanks for the input!
I numbered your questions.

1. Current guess is 20% savings on about 15k GBP of options, or about 4% overall. It's likely you'll get a better deal by waiting for a future year.
2. Current guess is that they are being conservative. The Emira is heavier.
3. Current guess is $79K USD.
4. Current guess is $90K USD.
5. Not an Evora owner, have no opinion on this. However, having owned some expensive cars in the past, it can be reasonable.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Insurance isn't bad if it's a second/third/etc. car and you can list it as a leisure vehicle. My Evora 400 was around $1,100/year with Erie with a $500 deductible and full coverage. Don't remember if it was full tort or limited tort. I think it was the one that doesn't let me sue for pain and suffering. R8 and Supra are about the same. NSX is like $1,500. I think those numbers would be double or triple if any of them were my daily driver / only vehicle on the policy.

I've actually heard of people being advised to go buy a $1,500 beater car and list it as their primary vehicle so they can have their sports/exotic car listed as leisure. Pays for itself in two years.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Where do you see this? I don’t think it was ever suggested as such.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe I misread, let me find it.

3 was the V6
4 was the 4
3. Current guess is $79K USD.
4. Current guess is $90K USD.

1 How much savings(if any) are FE buyers getting? Will a fully optioned non FE be more? This may influence my decision on whether I wait and spec a standard car. I don’t really want to pay for some of the included FE options, but if they’re ‘free’…

2 Why is the V6 supercharged in this car rated at 4.3 seconds to 60, and in the Evora it’s under 4 seconds? 19 or so horsepower doesn’t equal .4 seconds.

3 Where do you think the base price of a V6 non-FE will land?

4 What do you think a FE AMG 4 will cost?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Lotus have underplayed a lot of figures - which is the safer way to play things. They have also been a bit lenient with the truth.

I have no doubt that the Emira, once the production car is out, will please us all. I have a suspicion some tester is going to get a 3.9 out of it with a perfect getaway and gear change. Anyway, it will all about handling and the mid-hear acceleration will not upset anyone.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts