The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pure bench racing here but it is always nice to get things out of your head. Here are some facts: I love my '06 Exige, it handles, stops and goes great. Would not change much about it, I am ok with the power of it but of course you can always have more. I also love the new V6 Exige that is not available in a road car here.

I have to admit that my '06 looks great from most angles but there are some angles that I have to admit I do not like it from, directly from the side for example just does not look long enough. Also the wheelbase is a bit short letting it change direction great but is also rather quick to spin. Longer wheelbase cars are less likely to spin....You may see where this is going. There is no angle that I am not in absolute love with the V6, just amazing. When the usual question of 'if you can have any car.....' I usually say the F40 but on a slightly more realistic option is the new Exige (BTW I just found out that Exige means 'required' in spanish/french, pretty cool and fitting)

If Lotus is ever able to bring the V6 Exige here I would probably sell my '06 and another car to get one. If that never happens and I just so happened to get my hands on a front and rear replacement clams for the V6, I would not be against stretching out my '06 and adding in the Evora's drivetrain.

I should add in that I am no stranger to one-off fabrication. I have a long term car project that should be wrapped up in the next 2 years and might be looking for my next one. Fabricating an entire longer rear section and control arms would not be out of the question. Now ideally I would stretch the Exige out even more and build it Hennessey style with a porsche transaxle and LS engine. However what $15k in clams? I do not know what they would cost, just throwing out a number and of course not counting other associated parts but somehow I could end up with a new road legal V6 Exige that is not a V6 swapped one that is otherwise stock

·
Registered
412 Posts
Evora S

·
Registered
119 Posts
Stretched, widened and cut the top on a 70 Opel GT, 3.4 GM engine, t5 tranny, ladder bar rear, ford axle. Not for the faint of heart. Most projects that start with plenty of good intentions, plenty of time, and plenty of money end up being scrapped because of boredom, slow progress, and dried up bankroll. If you have done a similar sized project before... Then DO IT! Otherwise keep a useable Exige on the roads.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
If you are going to get creative, the new (not yet prototype) Hartley 2 litre V8, 13000 RPM redline V8, would be fun. It is compact and small, and will likely fit without a stretch. The normally aspirated 400HP rating is sexy too.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not a huge fan of the Evora S the way I am with the Exige. I think it is a good car with good looks, just not on a level of the new Exige.

I have spent the last 5 years making a 1968 Charger all wheel drive, made push rod suspension and sway bars, dry sump, etc...That Opel sounds pretty sweet, those cars do have a good look. That Harley engine sounds very interesting, wonder what it is being developed to fit into

I would probably be best off selling my current car and picking up a wrecked elige

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
For me, the main interest is the sound of an engine revving to 13,000 RPMs would be intoxicating. Blurb from Hartley site:
The BOLT V8 is a extreme race engine that will produce 400hp from 2 liters at 13,000 rpm- 14,000 rpm redline. Short of an F1 engine, we do not know of any other NA V8 that makes 200 hp per liter. Weighing in at 175lbs, the power density and packaging is unmatched.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I think by the time you finished an OEM quality custom, stretched V-6, S2 Exige, you'd discover that it would have been cheaper just to buy the Lotus version and swap every part onto a federally VIN'd frame. Plus you could rebuilt the non-legal frame with the old parts, and sell it as a track car. $100k and maybe 50 hours, and you're done.

·
Super Moderator
5,461 Posts
Read these two threads:
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/lotus-exige-v10-190769/
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/m5-v10-exige-oh-yes-those-crazy-swedes-122034/
They relate to this thread (open in google chrome to automatically translate into English... unless your Swedish is OK ;))
rejsa.nu :: Lotus Exige V10 GTR 2005/2013 

I think by the time you finished an OEM quality custom, stretched V-6, S2 Exige, you'd discover that it would have been cheaper just to buy the Lotus version and swap every part onto a federally VIN'd frame. Plus you could rebuilt the non-legal frame with the old parts, and sell it as a track car. $100k and maybe 50 hours, and you're done.
Book time for swapping the chassis is 80 hours ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts