The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After picking up my car from being serviced at a Lotus dealership I was excellerating on to the highway, the gas pedal dropped to the floor and the throttle became stuck wide open! After stomping on the the pedal a few time it became unstuck! Thinking it could have been the floor mats I pulled off the next exit and checked. Everything looked fine! Once again pulling on the interstate under moderate excelleration the pedal dropped to the floor again! This time cautiously expecting it I noticed that the pedal was almost being pulled to the floor like if the cruise control was activated but much more severely! The car continues to do this ever time it is under a spirited excelleration!

I'm thankful that I have a standard!
This could be really bad if it was an automatic!
Has anyone experienced this?????-eek-

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
That sounds very scarry. Must be some type of cruise control problem. My cruise control has not worked properly since it was install. many times it will not come on and when it does it shuts itself off. Noticed the little wrench symbol will come on during startup and will almost always have problems with the cruise.

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
Yikes! Did your dealer do any related work?

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
omg this is just crazy.. there should be a nationwide recall for this crap... People can seriously get hurt.. I've had my car stall out on me at speed on the freeway.. Not exactly something anyone should have to experience with their new car. But this takes the cake.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
I believe the pedal is held up by a spring. Check to see if the spring came off, resp. there my be two and only one came of.

The cruise control doesn't pull the pedal down, its fully electronic. So is the gas pedal, its all "fly by wire".

I'm amazed how often I read here that somebody came back from the dealer and had such serious problems. Are there only idiots working on LOTUS cars in the US? My German dealer would be out of business for good with this kind of service quality.

·
Registered
498 Posts
After picking up my car from being serviced at a Lotus dealership I was excellerating on to the highway, the gas pedal dropped to the floor and the throttle became stuck wide open! After stomping on the the pedal a few time it became unstuck! Thinking it could have been the floor mats I pulled off the next exit and checked. Everything looked fine! Once again pulling on the interstate under moderate excelleration the pedal dropped to the floor again! This time cautiously expecting it I noticed that the pedal was almost being pulled to the floor like if the cruise control was activated but much more severely! The car continues to do this ever time it is under a spirited excelleration!

TOYOTA SUDDEN Acceleration .:shrug:

·
Premium Member
2,092 Posts
Mine did the same thing back in October a few days after the dealer did the first service but it only happened one time and has not happened since.

I was entering a freeway and gave it a romp. When I went to shift, it went full throttle without me on the gas. My first reaction was what the hell just happened (I had a passenger that it scared the crap out of...well it scared teh crap out of me too). I kept kicking the throttle to see if it was stuck but the revs would not come down. I pushed the clutch in and put it in neutral and made my way around traffic to the shoulder while it was at still at full throttle. I shut the car down and restarted it and it acted totally fine. I tried to replicate it several times to see what might have caused it but I couldn't.

I also have floor mats and that is the first thing I checked when I shut it off on the shoulder. But my mat has a strap that secures it to the seat lever adjuster and wasn't even close to the pedal.

When I got home I contacted the dealer who said they never heard of it but would speak to the field rep. We agreed that since I am an hour away from the dealer and couldn't get it to happen again there was no sense driving it back to have a look.

I did document it via emails with the dealer in case I needed it for the future, but I thought it was a fluke. Now I'm not so sure....

·
Registered
595 Posts
Pretty attention-getting, I'll bet!

As others have pointed out, cruise control would not affect this. There's no servo motor in the pedal, and of course no mechanical connection with anything else on the car. So either the pedal shaft is simply sticking, in which case some silicone lube might be appropriate, or possibly a spring has come adrift as others have theorized-- though I think in this case it would not "go back to normal" once it happened.

Pulling the unit and having a look yourself would be fairly easy. I'd be inclined to have a look at the part to see if the failure was something obvious.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Did the full throttle go away when you went to apply the brakes? If it did, then it might be related to the cruise.

Man, scary stuff. Good thing we have a clutch.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is what happened to a tee!!!!!

"Mine did the same thing back in October a few days after the dealer did the first service but it only happened one time and has not happened since.

I was entering a freeway and gave it a romp. When I went to shift, it went full throttle without me on the gas. My first reaction was what the hell just happened (I had a passenger that it scared the crap out of...well it scared teh crap out of me too). I kept kicking the throttle to see if it was stuck but the revs would not come down. I pushed the clutch in and put it in neutral and made my way around traffic to the shoulder while it was at still at full throttle. I shut the car down and restarted it and it acted totally fine. I tried to replicate it several times to see what might have caused it but I couldn't.

I also have floor mats and that is the first thing I checked when I shut it off on the shoulder. But my mat has a strap that secures it to the seat lever adjuster and wasn't even close to the pedal."

Tomorrow I'm on the phone with Lotus!

·
Premium Member
2,092 Posts
Did the full throttle go away when you went to apply the brakes? If it did, then it might be related to the cruise.

QUOTE]

Mine stayed at full throttle while applying the brakes and pulling over to the shoulder. It only went back to normal after I shut it down and restarted it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
So here is what happened yesterday.
I turned on to a entrance ramp in second gear, gave it a spirited goose and the thing went full throttle. I pushed in the clutch and pulled to the shoulder and braked to a stop the whole time the motor was bouncing on the rev limiter. When stopped on the shoulder, I stomped the accelerator several times to no avail, still full throttle. Next I turned the car off and started laughing hysterically. After receiving a firm left, backhand punch from my wife (she didn't see the humor) I started it up and continued on our way. It happened very fast and I can't say for sure the position of the throttle but I don't think that it had physically dropped to the floor and I know for sure that nothing (rug) was obstructing it.
This was not after service so I don't think it is related to that. I picked up my car with 7 miles on it (last month) so it has only had the initial pre sale service. It now has 850 total miles...brand new! Last night I pulled the engine code log with my bluetooth code reader. The check engine light never came on and I have no idea what these codes mean or if they are related. engine code.png
I am so glad that I read this forum. I guess it is why I could find humor in such a crazy, baffling situation. This HAS to have happened to several Evora owners. It would be interesting to know how many owners look at, and would post on this forum. If 3 of us have had this happen, just wondering what kind of sample that is.

Thank God for the clutch!

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
I have had exactly these same codes come up. It has to do with my MAF at the time. I used a laptop and my bluetooth reader to get the real codes as Torque had issues for some reason.

I have had one other code thrown and Torque had no issues with it. Who knows. Good luck!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have had exactly these same codes come up. It has to do with my MAF at the time. I used a laptop and my bluetooth reader to get the real codes as Torque had issues for some reason.

I have had one other code thrown and Torque had no issues with it. Who knows. Good luck!
OK so the codes don't mean anything. Thanks. I have never used this reader on the Evora and wasn't even sure that it would work. I think I read on here (somewhere) that the dealer can download all sorts of history from the ECU on the post buy inspection. I think I will get it in for that download and get this documented. This really sounds like the Toyota acceleration issue. Matter of fact we should probably rename this thread "Sudden acceleration" so people can find it on searches. I'm just glad I have a manual.
One positive side effect of this happening, is that now my wife never wants to drive it.:D

·
Registered
595 Posts
This really sounds like the Toyota acceleration issue.
Apart from the roving floormat problem, there was never an acceleration issue on Toyotas. The results of NHTSA studies demonstrating that got far less press than the initial nonsense. Just pointing it out-- pet peeve of mine that this kind of thing still makes the rounds even among car guys.

Anyway.

So in each of these three cases, the pedal had just been sharply depressed when it stuck. To me, this suggests a mechanical malfunction with the pedal mechanism; if the problem were electronic, it would not necessarily be tied to any action at the pedal. Not a sure thing, just my feeling.

So, assuming it's a mechanical problem in the throttle pedal assembly, it would seem that a useful check would be to put the code reader aside and instead get your hands on the pedal. Push it gently, push it hard, and see if you can feel a stickiness or binding. Even a drive-by-wire system has a pedal pivoting on a shaft, and perhaps that interface has had some crud introduced or is for some other reason not behaving as it should. An easy check. Sure, your dealer can do it too, but if you can determine to your own satisfaction that the problem's there, you can insist on replacement regardless of what the service manager might come back with. Knowledge is power.

I wonder if you three could post notes on your cars. Is there a common factor? Build date?

·
Premium Member
2,092 Posts
So, assuming it's a mechanical problem in the throttle pedal assembly, it would seem that a useful check would be to put the code reader aside and instead get your hands on the pedal. Push it gently, push it hard, and see if you can feel a stickiness or binding. Even a drive-by-wire system has a pedal pivoting on a shaft, and perhaps that interface has had some crud introduced or is for some other reason not behaving as it should. An easy check. Sure, your dealer can do it too, but if you can determine to your own satisfaction that the problem's there, you can insist on replacement regardless of what the service manager might come back with. Knowledge is power.

I wonder if you three could post notes on your cars. Is there a common factor? Build date?
Here is mine:

2011 Evora S 2&0
totally stock
Built July 13, 2011

I’m not sure that the issue is a mechanical malfunction. When it happened to me, I tried to “kick” the pedal several times to get it to come back but it did not. I did not touch the pedal again but pulled to the shoulder to stop. I shut the car off and immediately re-started it. The issue was gone. That lends me to believe it may be electrical, as I had not touched the gas while on the shoulder but shutting it off and back on remedied it.

I should point out that when I originally contacted my dealer, they also thought that since it did not trip the CEL, there would be no code for them to read. So, I did not drive it back to them.
However, I emailed my dealer again yesterday and they indicated that they are forwarding it to Lotus and will advise me of a response. I will post it when I hear from them.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts