The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
am i the only one that gets the "Cold Feet" when buying a new car?

for example, i hesitated and thought and thought for weeks about a year ago before i decided to buy the 2008 Nissan 350Z. and now i've got a golden opportunity to but a Lotus, but i cant seem to pull the trigger.

I can afford it, but a $15,000 downpayment and a $700 a month payment are huge chunks of money. One minute i am all fired up about buying, and then when i wake up in the morning the doubts are back.

when i say i can afford it thats true. but if all of a sudden i have a bunch of unexpected bills i'd either have to totally deplete my checking account, or tap into my Home Equity Line Of Credit. when i say unexpected bills i am talking about, perhaps, such things as dental bills, or the engine/transmission goes on my '97 DD Hyundai Tiburon with 128,000 miles.

but i'm single, no kids, no mortgage, pretty good secure job. i dont think affording it is the issue. the issue is whether i want to spend that much money for a car. one minute its Yes, Lets Do It and the next minute its Wait, Dont Do That......

Mike

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
am i the only one that gets the "Cold Feet" when buying a new car?

for example, i hesitated and thought and thought for weeks about a year ago before i decided to buy the 2008 Nissan 350Z. and now i've got a golden opportunity to but a Lotus, but i cant seem to pull the trigger.

I can afford it, but a $15,000 downpayment and a $700 a month payment are huge chunks of money. One minute i am all fired up about buying, and then when i wake up in the morning the doubts are back.

when i say i can afford it thats true. but if all of a sudden i have a bunch of unexpected bills i'd either have to totally deplete my checking account, or tap into my Home Equity Line Of Credit. when i say unexpected bills i am talking about, perhaps, such things as dental bills, or the engine/transmission goes on my '97 DD Hyundai Tiburon with 128,000 miles.

but i'm single, no kids, no mortgage, pretty good secure job. i dont think affording it is the issue. the issue is whether i want to spend that much money for a car. one minute its Yes, Lets Do It and the next minute its Wait, Dont Do That......

Mike
Why don't you set up a poll here...to buy or not to buy, and whatever the poll results are, that's what you do. Don't look back.

Really.:evil:

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
If you have test driven one and have NOT bought it , then a Lotus is NOT for you.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...mike, if you're nervous about the ongoing payments, bear in mind that with your downpayment a used car can be as low as a couple hundred dollars per month...larry's correct that if you're the right kind of person for a lotus, you absolutely won't regret it and will be hard-pressed to ever let it go...

...unless they do so on a regular basis, everyone gets nervous about a major exotic purchase; that's normal...think of it like jumping into a frigid swimming pool, though: once you take the plunge and your head's underwater, it's fantastic...

·
Registered
274 Posts
...unless they do so on a regular basis, everyone gets nervous about a major exotic purchase; that's normal...think of it like jumping into a frigid swimming pool, though: once you take the plunge and your head's underwater, it's fantastic...

i told myself this very same thing. i ended up doing this with the 350Z last summer. that being to go ahead and take the plunge, and once its done everything will be okay.

M

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
...mike, if you're nervous about the ongoing payments, bear in mind that with your downpayment a used car can be as low as a couple hundred dollars per month...larry's correct that if you're the right kind of person for a lotus, you absolutely won't regret it and will be hard-pressed to ever let it go...

:up::up:

·
Registered
233 Posts
haha, I struggled too. Actually got as far as the paperwork signing and then backed out. 3 months later, purchased the same car.

It's not cheap, but no one else can decide whether it's worth it other than you.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
There are tons of Elises on the market for under $30k. Unless you want an exact color with very specific options, why not consider a used one? Your payment should only be about $300 a month, which isn't bad.

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
There are tons of Elises on the market for under $30k. Unless you want an exact color with very specific options, why not consider a used one? Your payment should only be about $300 a month, which isn't bad.
Very true.

Just don't buy one that's been tracked. :D

·
Registered
685 Posts
If you have test driven one and have NOT bought it , then a Lotus is NOT for you.
+1 :up:

****** #1, will you be selling your Z-car? Maybe you can get some equity from it to make you feel 'safer' financially.

I procrastinated for 12 months before taking a test drive and the <b>only</b> reason was I was afraid I might like it so much that I had to have it. Turns out my biggest fear was true. I paid cash but had to replenish my bank account by selling my RX-7.

FWIW, I managed to turn away from 2 other temptations during the same time period - a Cayman S and a Z4M roadster - that's how good the Elise is... to me.

Why not go for a used Elise instead? That way, you can have your cake and eat it too.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
don't buy it unless you truly love to drive it and can pay cash for it. It a depreciating asset..

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Given how many months you've been asking questions, I'd say the Lotus isn't for you. Elephants have had babies in the time you've been agonizing over this! ;)

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
How is it you have a 1 year old sports car and are already looking at another? Isn't that going to be expensive?

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Werd I don't think Ill ever buy a new car again (only did once). I put 20k down on my used elise and now I have a 300$ a month payment for 36 months.

If you like to change cars alot I cant see how one can justify new, espescially when many "used" lotuses are hardly broken in.

There is an exige S with an LSD in the classifieds for like 40k. My personal opinion is that you would have to be a bit slow (or a bit rich) to chose a new basic elise over this car!!

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
Let me help you out here. Tomorrow noon, Stop at the nearest bar with a friend (you need a designated driver) get blasted and walk in the dealership and sign the papers. get home and tell your wife, here honey I just bought a car, the contract for buying a car while drunk is unlike getting married in Vegas, is irreversible... :D

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I agree - buy used. Don't be burdened with that $700 payment, depreciation. Buy one for $30k or so and if things change in 90 days you are stuck trying to resell a used 2008/09? Lotus in this market. Whatever works for you though, no one can tell you what to do with your money .... a suggestion only.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
****** I hope you get a car you enjoy, but...

Please buy a used one. If you can afford a new one as long as you don't have any largish unexpected expenses... then you cannot afford a new one. Unexpected expenses ARE expenses; they're just unexpected ones. They WILL happen whether you expect them or not.

xtn

1 - 20 of 83 Posts