The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have developed an issue a while back were my 07 Elise would not turn over right away and/or acted like it was going to die after it stared. Force of habit had me trying to give it gas to keep it running. Though that never helps (not sure it would with this type of injection) and if I just start driving, it still acts the same way, like the fuel is not being delivered. It does not do this unless the car sites for 4 hours or more, and the longer it sits does not worsen the situation at all. If I just leave the car for a hr or so, it's fine. It is not effected by weather either.

I have also been kicking power train P0455 leak code for a far longer time but this is may be once a week with daily driving.

Today, the car would not start, it turned over once and just gave up. Again, I tried to give it gas (force of habit) but it didn't help. On the 3rd try it stuttered its way to a running engine.

I do have a SC but from what I know the injectors are standard. Not really sure what to look at or test here.

·
Registered
07 Aspen White Exige S - MT
2,146 Posts
Need 3 things, fuel, air, spark. Sounds like you arnt getting 1 of them and my bet is on fuel. Your code could be a simple gas cap issue.

·
Administrator
9,051 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
would not turn over right away
does this not mean your battery is low, and alternator is struggling to keep up. Its hard on the alt if your battery is almost dead.

It sounds like the normal glue turning to dust in the fuel tank, and plugging it up.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your code could be a simple gas cap issue. - Ok, ill just grab a new one and see how that goes.

does this not mean your battery is low, and alternator is struggling to keep up. Its hard on the alt if your battery is almost dead. - Battery is brand new, I also thought tat was my issue, was almost dead positive but clearly wrong. I think the alt only plays in if the battery is low. That new battery is a full sized one, I gave up the little guy. Alt's normally are good till the rushes go out and I'm pretty certain they are working ok.

It sounds like the normal glue turning to dust in the fuel tank, and plugging it up. - New to me, what do I do to figure that out?

" rough low idle on cold start for 10 seconds" - Ill try some of that after the simple ones.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I should state battery and connections. If your grounds, or positive to starter are junk.
Good batteries are delivered each day, most are "good", is yours? You know this how? A load test is good, an analyzer is a better final confirmation. Have you confirmed amps running through starter wire - Amp draw test? Brushes are one part of an alternator. Sounds to me like its having a difficult time turning over then, which is where your problem is. Low electrical current. Double check grounds.

Lotus used glue, around where the spot welds are in the tank. After some time, it crumbles (dust if there is no fuel), this plugs that wonderful fuel pump. The 1.95 micron (aka pasta strainer) fuel pump-sock Toyota/Lotus has in there is pretty much worthless.

Remove tank from bottom, add aggregate. Shake for 10-12 hours to remove crappy Lotus paste/glue, add POR (or similar) gas tank sealer if so inclined. Or just replace the tank.

If your tank is not able to bring in air as you use up fuel, you can simply loosen gas cap, as a test.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
58 Posts
“Turning over” means the engine is rotating. From context, you may mean “firing”.
If a car isn’t turning over, you turn the key and there is no sound. If the car turns over, but doesn’t fire, you will hear the starter crank, but not the sound of exhaust.
This is a pseudo common terminology mistake and always causes problems to diagnose remotely because the person reading it is thinking a different think than the person typing.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Just to clarify, the engine is running just wants to die. Like the old carb engines, where you had to pump the gas for a bit to get it running. I can actually drive it but it tries to stall like something is pinching the gas lines. Go, stop, go stop go stop...then its fine.

Got the new cap, it did it once but was ok the next day, will continue to test and follow up soon.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
58 Posts
The gas cap may stop your P0455 code, if the old cap was in bad shape. It will not stop the rough running.
Any comments regarding battery or alternator are red herrings aimed to resolve your mischaracterization of “not turning over”. You don’t sound to have a battery or electrical problem.

It does indeed sound like a fuel and fuel delivery issue. Check fuel pressure when it is running well vs not running well. I could also think a gross vacuum leak could cause this, but you might hear a hiss at idle when looking at the engine.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thought it was lick'd but it's back. Interestingly what I thought maybe a coincidence was not, and apparently a hint as to the issue. I had this impression the issue was related to the outdoor air, as opposed to the garage air. Honestly, I figured that could not possibly be a factor and blew it off. Since the last post I made, and buying the new gas cap, the issue has been gone but today it returned. Te only difference was returning to the office. I made it in to work ok, but on the way back, I threw a code and had that rough start.

I do live in F, last month and since I noticed the issue, it has been hot (today its cooler (52 F) ). So I think that rules out air temp. But, what would make this condition apparent that involves parking in an open parking lot vs a garage? Anyways, back to the check list, was not the gas cap.

·
Administrator
9,051 Posts
Thought it was lick'd but it's back. Interestingly what I thought maybe a coincidence was not, and apparently a hint as to the issue. I had this impression the issue was related to the outdoor air, as opposed to the garage air. Honestly, I figured that could not possibly be a factor and blew it off. Since the last post I made, and buying the new gas cap, the issue has been gone but today it returned. Te only difference was returning to the office. I made it in to work ok, but on the way back, I threw a code and had that rough start.

I do live in F, last month and since I noticed the issue, it has been hot (today its cooler (52 F) ). So I think that rules out air temp. But, what would make this condition apparent that involves parking in an open parking lot vs a garage? Anyways, back to the check list, was not the gas cap.

What was the code?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Administrator
9,051 Posts

Any other codes? Had any work been done to the car prior to all of this starting?

Do you have evap delete on your car as part of installing SC? What SC do you have and has it run properly prior to the issues? Have you checked grounds from battery>bulkhead>engine?

I would check coils and plugs at this point to see if they look good and have no arcing. Recoat in Noox. That way you can sort of rule them out. Have you had any success with giving a false start just barely poking starter and then hit it with a good start? I had seen another post about losing fuel pressure and the fake start building it back up. Do you have surge tank for your SC?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Had this issue while at stop lights. It did entirely die on my once, but started right back up once I re-fired. I just got to point where at all stops, I would keep ears attuned to engine revs and give it gas if it sounded a bit rough.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts