The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys i know this has been done on lots of lotuses but is it worth the delete?

1. does it lower the value of the car?

2. car there any problems with doing it? (i know the turn signal gets tied in with the daytime light)

3. for those of you that have down it, do you like or love it??

let me know thanks

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Personally I like the lights but I do admit that the car looks good without them. It would not be worth it to me...

Are those LED headlights? Where did you get those?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got them here on the forum just search led halo rings. but for some reason the little leds keep going out!! even after the guy selling them give me a new pair. so idk about the quality or if there is too much power going to it..

·
Registered
471 Posts
Personally, I like the way it looks with the lights in place. The hood looks a little bare to me without, but I've been looking at my car with them for nearly 8 years. I can't imagine that it would have much effect on resale value in any case, either positive or negative. But it'll cost you to do the delete and you likely won't recoup that cost at all.

steve

·
Registered
113 Posts
I like it! but only if you keep the line on the hood. Most shaved lights I've seen filled in the line on the front of the hood. What is the cost?

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
My Europa came to me with the parking-light "warts" shaved. I liked the look, but I doubt I'd do it myself. The problem I see on the Elise is that having the turn signals buried in the headlights seems wrong to me; not visible enough when the headlights are on.

In the Europa, the madman who shaved it had wired a logic circuit to use the fog lights as turn signals. This was nuts to me also, so I planned on using Bugeye turn signals mounted on the front of the body below the bumper and removing the non-stock recesses (they look like those on a Plus 2S, don't they?). In the meantime (which of course lasted until I sold the car...) I put some truck turn signals in the recesses.

The Elise turn signals are NOWHERE NEAR as ugly as the warts on a Europa, so I can't see me ever removing them.

015_12A Lotus Europa at 2002 LOG by philethier, on Flickr

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
It's a BIG job:

- Clam off
- Lots of fiberglass work
- Lights
- Repaint
- Reinstall
- New star shield

It's probably a good $3K plus job. Not worth it.

If you were doing it as part of a larger thing (look at my threads and Marius) - maybe.

If you do it, fix the OTHER things as well since its fiberglass and paint:

- Shave license plinth
- Do mesh kit conversion
- Shave the ugly seam

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Also, that's big area to fill.

You're in NC, so should be ok, but in a climate like Chicago with wild temp fluctuations, I'd worry about the filled in spots 'ghosting' over time. My body guy said 'I can't guarantee it won't'

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys its actually not going to cost me much because i was in a wreak the other day so they need to fix the clam anyways. So they said they'll do it for an extra $200. and i just wish i could see it in real life. anyone live near Anderson SC :D

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Since they are doing the other stuff ANYWAY, then it's worth it.

Again, you may want to consider the seam shave/plinth shave/mesh

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
My biggest fear would be that you will still be able to see that something used to be there. Just some fiberglass shop wont be able to make it perfect. When you get it into the sun, your going to see a depression, or raised area, or perhaps the outline of the turn signal hole. Photoshop cant fix the real thing.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My biggest fear would be that you will still be able to see that something used to be there. Just some fiberglass shop wont be able to make it perfect. When you get it into the sun, your going to see a depression, or raised area, or perhaps the outline of the turn signal hole. Photoshop cant fix the real thing.
agreed, but apparently they use a foam to fill it in...

·
Premium Member
6,758 Posts
If its foam___ NO!!! Do it right or don't do it at all.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Foam?!?!?! Ummm....no. Fiberglass should fill that.

1st - yes it will lower the value - and 2 - your car was in wreck, so it already has a lower value because of that and 3rd - shaving the signals or doing customization like that is a big red flag that the car was in a wreck.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts