The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. I've had two kids (well, 18 and 22) in separate instances mention that to me already. They said the Elise is a great car. :)

Both of them are friends who go to my church, and I pointed out to the older one that "it's just a video game" and his response is "but it a simulation."

I then asked what kind of steering wheel did he have and how far apart were was his brake from his gas, and was tire pressure was he running. He said he just had a joy stick but said GT was a realistic simulation and some steering wheels for the video games also include vibrations. ;)

So, never having played GT, how realistic is it? ;)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Its pretty realistic!!! Its fun to be able to win races and upgrade your rides. I got really into it for a few days then lost interest though. Its worth a rental at your local store though.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
You can't get closer to real life, other than sitting in a car and driving. If you ever get the chance, try the game out, you'll be very surprised. There are many realistic (not perfect, mind you) racing wheels available out there, that can capture the real thing, altough no clutch.

The kids did lie (or were mistaken) though, they couldn't have driven your car. The only Elises in any GranTursimo game are the S1 Sport 190, S1 Motorsport Elise. I can say for myself that the roadcar is fairly balanced, altough it does have a bit of understeer. With a bit of suspension tuning, the Motorsport Elise is sublime.

Alternatively, check out Gran Tursimo 4 when it comes out in January or so. Check the car list, it's quite the thing:
GT4 Master Car List
Oh, I forgot to mention the Nurbirgring Nordschleife and Le Mans are among the tracks to be included in the game.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I have an X-Box, no GT 4 for me :(

I did play previous versions, and I'm telling you, they were pretty good.

On the previous company I worked for, we did racing simulations (games) and we did go overboard on the physics aspects. Mainly Superbikes, supersports, top fuel dragsters, funny cars, Prostock cars and trucks.

Ron Capps, once came to our suit 5 min before his qualification run and he came to try something in the game because his crew chief asked him to do a shorter burnout. He used our game (err simulation) to see how it will be like to make a mental picture in his mind. On ESPN there was a show and they show him and playing our game and did mention that he used it as a tool at times. We even had RacePak hooked into the game so you could get the telemetry using the same software as the pros used.

Don Prudhomme, owner of snake racing finally played the game after half a year after being done and called us all excited saying "I had no idea, I never could be bothered because I thougth it was a game, but someone here was playing it and I did try it" I'm telling you, getting a call like that does make your day ;)

On the bike ones, we had analog mapped independent front and rear breaks, accel, clutch, driver weight distribution. You could counter steer it. I had two joysticks and and pedals to use all the controls independently. Of course no one could beat me at the office ;)

This was done with a small team and a lot of years back with a budget probably 1/50th of that for GT so I can't even start to imagine what they did.

·
Registered
304 Posts
They try and they try, but so far no one has succeeded in beating the all time classic Grand Prix Legends when it comes to handling and realism :)

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
GT is an excellent game. They should make it harder for you to win races, but I hope GT4 will have more competitive CPU drivers. GT4 should have been out today! :mad: Now I have to wait until after the LA auto show (jan 17).

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I too enjoyed GT and GT2 for many years. In GT2 you can slightly build your Elise, but it is definitely handicapped in the end by lack of HP. It was best to leave the HP alone, tune the suspension and keep it in class, because it kicked ass then. Lots of fun and part of what made me fall in love with the Elise, I must admit.:)

I also loved my NSX in GT2 and this crazy 900++ HP Subaru rally car that was unbelievable. I think I need to break that game out again. My sons and I did many a battle on the Playstation.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Yeah, Papyrus did know their stuff when it came to coding racing sims.

Barney Jr said:
They try and they try, but so far no one has succeeded in beating the all time classic Grand Prix Legends when it comes to handling and realism :)

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, you're saying I spent $50K+ when I could have just spent $100 bucks for an X Box and $20 for GT3 and have almost the same experience?!!! ;)

Incidentally, I'm going to cash in on the trend of teenage abstinence and market this "sex simulator" to teenage boys who're trying to wait till marriage. It's a simulation!

http://www.puppetartists.com/celebrity.htm
And for the ahem...

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
Each has their own strengths, and that's why at my school pad we have all three!

Obviously there is only so much realism that can be realized on a console game, but generally GT3 is in the upper half of what is available in terms of realistic games versus cartoonish/arcade style games. However, the makers of GT3 also realize what is popular and what people enjoy. If the cars were difficult to control and it was ultra realistc, they wouldn't sell as many copies. They do have the option for simulation tires, but it only changes a bit much. The real simulator types of games (flight simulators too) are real niche games.

Some of hte physics are cheesy (like collisions for example) and the AI is very poor!

But people love it and I think it's great as a game. Hope kids don't think their video game skills translate directly to the road. :eek:

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Vantage said:
However, the makers of GT3 also realize what is popular and what people enjoy. If the cars were difficult to control and it was ultra realistic, they wouldn't sell as many copies.
That's one of the thing that makes Grand Prix Legends so wonderful. It's so real.

It takes most people a long time to get good enough to make it around the track just once without crashing. It's not easy driving a '67 Formula 1 race car without losing it...:cool:

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
..I hate those video games! maybe thre is some benifit to learning courses in your mind, but the controls are just non-sense (to me)

·
Registered
304 Posts
TimMullen said:
That's one of the thing that makes Grand Prix Legends so wonderful. It's so real.

It takes most people a long time to get good enough to make it around the track just once without crashing. It's not easy driving a '67 Formula 1 race car without losing it...:cool:
Just had my first race in the Seloc championship, too bad it was also the last race of the season :(

But it is soooo much fun and still the most realistic of them all, despite it's age. You'd be surprised how much a good racing simulator teaches you that is usable in the real world. Over and understeer reactions, improvement of your reflexes, course layouts, etc.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Gran Turismo 3 is more realistic than the average arcade driving game, but it's only so-so. Both Need For Speed: Porsche Unleashed and Live For Speed are much closer to driving a real car (and LFS is due for a physics update to correct some significant inaccuracies). If you haven't played with NFS: Porsche, don't scoff. It's nothing like the rest of the series.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Just picked up a PS 2 for my son and I, mainly so we can get GT4
when it comes out. Anyone know if GT4 will have a career mode?
That's one of the features I like about the NFS series and the Nascar 2005 game.

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
JimK said:
Just picked up a PS 2 for my son and I, mainly so we can get GT4
when it comes out. Anyone know if GT4 will have a career mode?
That's one of the features I like about the NFS series and the Nascar 2005 game.
Well, in simulation mode the game will track your win percentage, how many gold, silver, bronze medals you are awarded when you try out for a license and for each race you get a trophy. I'm sure GT4 will be the same as GT3 in this respect.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
My friend took a Mazda Miata seat ($40 from a wrecked car) and made a frame that holds a steering wheel and pedals and let me tell you it made a huge difference to the driving experience on GT3. The wheel has feedback and vibration. I found myself hitting the rev limiter for the first few minutes but I really got used to it after a bit. The next day I got in my car and it took me a few minutes to adjust to it. I've driven a lot of games on both PS2 and XBox and I think Project Gotham 2 on XBox is the best, although the Gran Turismo games give you more tuning ability. On Project Gotham 2 the Exige is a blast! I've driven the Nurburgring so many times I think I could go there and actually learn the real thing much faster.

·
Registered
22 Posts
John Stimson said:
Gran Turismo 3 is more realistic than the average arcade driving game, but it's only so-so. Both Need For Speed: Porsche Unleashed and Live For Speed are much closer to driving a real car (and LFS is due for a physics update to correct some significant inaccuracies). If you haven't played with NFS: Porsche, don't scoff. It's nothing like the rest of the series.
I can't speak to the GT3 and the other console games, but NFS: Porsche Unleashed with a force feedback wheel and pedals was about as realistic as I would expect a game to get. While there are certainly places where the physics break down, I was amazed at how realistic the handling seemed.

Of course, I can't comment on how accurate the modeling is, since I've never driven most (OK, all but one) of the cars in that game, but still, impressively real handling.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts