The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, new owner of an '05 Storm Titanium Elise here. I've been loving it so far, however, it's always the dealerships that ultimatley end up ruining my experience with my vehicles. :(

Im sorry my introduction comes in this way, but I need some advice from some veteran Lotus owners! I need to rant a little bit to give you the background. Bare with me please!

I had the car for about a month when the A/C blower died out on me. Did some searching, found the TSB on it, and also found my car was still under warranty.

- August 11th, late in the day, the car is dropped off to the nearest dealership, 137 mi / 3.75 hours away. Dealer assures me it won't take anymore than a week for parts and repair, so I chose this day as I left for vaca for a week and wouldn't miss the car.
- August 22nd, morning. Parts finally arrive: New Steering Rack and A/C components. Advised car probably not done today, but will most likely be done Monday. I make arrangements and take 1/2 day to pick it up on the 25th.
- August 25th, afternoon, No call, so I call the dealer to have them tell me the vehicle won't be ready, but will be by the 26th afternoon. I take a 1/2 day to make arrangements to pick it up on the 26th.
- August 26th, afternoon, no call so I call them. Dealer is confident car will be completed by 5:30 PM, so I take my half day. Evening, I call dealer and they tell me vehicle won't be finished until 27th.
- August 27th, before noon they finally tell me the vehicle will be ready by 1. I arrive at dealership at 5:00 and they are JUST finishing it up, but they get the car to me.

On the drive home, the A/C is working great, and I notice they snapped a tab on my "Engine Start" and "Headlight button panel" and that it is hanging crooked. Whatever, no big deal... I can live with it. Then I start to notice the directional no longer resets either. Ok, still not a big deal. Im just happy to get my car back right?

By the next day, the A/C doesn't blow cold air, at all. Then my friend tries to get into the car at the passenger side, and when she opens the door, it makes a loud snap. They shimmed the front clam wrong, causing the door to rub the fender which ends up taking a gash and the paint off both. A little more investigation looking under the car, and I notice the splash guards in the fender wells don't match up, leaving big gaps.

Now im pretty mad. I call the dealer, and being very civil I tell them they should make arrangements to flat bed my car out there at their cost, seeing as how it's an unnecessary inconvenience and cost to me by their own negligence to get it back out there. They pretty much refuse but tell me they will take it in ASAP, when I get it to them... I called Lotus HQ with the number supplied on the website and I get an answering machine. I leave a message last Friday, and another today. Haven't heard anything.

I've been more then patient. I don't think its too much to ask for Lotus to pick up the tab and get the car back to the dealer for full repairs at my convenience, or at least put the owness on the dealer. The TSB for a steering rack is 1 hour. The A/C I beleive he told me is 9. That's 10 hours, and they had it for 27.5, then returned it to me with more problems!

So Lotus Vet's, do you think im p*ssing up a rope here? I kind of get that feeling when their customer hotline is just an answering machine :(

Thanks for listening, end rant!

·
Registered
315 Posts
wow that sucks... I'd talk to a lawyer if you have one easily available and see what your options are. The fact that the turn signals does not work and there is a very real possibility that something else may go wrong on the 137 mi journey to the dealership may make your car "undrivable" or "unsafe" to operate. In that case they should foot the tab. Before taking it anywhere take photos and or video. Don't waste anytime doing what ever it is you are going to do though.

It's obvious that they didn't do anything to the car until the very last moment and then really rushed through it causing damage to your vehicle. I'd never go back there again and who is this dealer?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, everytime I've called, they gave me some update on where they were, and just kept telling me they were having all sorts of troubles. Maybe it did take them 27.5 hours and didn't push it off. That just tells me they really suck at what they do and im not so sure I want to bring it back to them.

They called me yesterday and offered me a loaner car if I drop the vehicle off to them. I still think thats unacceptable. It's still my 6 hours and gas wasted, so they can put me in a rent a car Cobalt sedan im sure, and then have my car again for close to another month. :(

I don't know if I want to throw the dealer name out there right now, not until I hear back from Lotus, which were on day 3, with 3 calls but no return call.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have had my fair share of "interesting interactions" with multiple dealerships. For instance, when I went to a local Porsche dealership with check to pick up a Exige S they then added a $495 dealership service fee for loaner car, free car wash, free detailing blah blah blah. Ironically, the car wasn't gonna be ready for couple of days (it was already delayed about week at the time) as they were replacing the StarShield. So I offered to pay at the time (as they suggested) and asked for a loaner car, a subcompact car (I had almost sold my only car the same day), which they then promptly refused!:huh:

I inquired as to why I was paying the f****** dealership service fee. They responded, "Everybody pays it." I told 'em to keep their car and waited for additional couple of months before settling for my current car. I was almost confused... were they under the impression they were doing me a favor by selling me a car?

There much more to this story but I don't wanna have a brain hemorrhage!

Slightly off topic... sorry about that. Back to your point... call your lawyer buddies! It's incumbent upon them to fix their own mistakes. :shrug:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have had my fair share of "interesting interactions" with multiple dealerships. There much more to this story but I don't wanna have a brain hemorrhage!

Slightly off topic... sorry about that. Back to your point... call your lawyer buddies! It's incumbent upon them to fix their own mistakes. :shrug:
Haha, I hear you! It sucks you have to take it to this level, but I've learned from past experience like you, that if the dealer isn't responsive in the first couple go-rounds, then this is the quickest way to light a fire under their asses! So to speak. :)

Anyway, just an update to all, I got a call back from Lotus about an hour ago thanks to the prompt response of a member here. I think everything is going to work out fine. :)

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Make the name public to warn other owners and my guess is it's not the first time this dealership has had issues! My local dealership was Dimmitt motorcars in Clearwater Florida (2 hours away) and EVERY TIME the car went in for service they screwed up something and I would have a local trusted shop fix the crappy repairs and finally when the warranty expired I was actually relieved!
Move on up the LOTUS chain and make them aware of your issues with your local dealership - Be nice, Lotus USA has been pretty good about taking care of issues that arise at the stealership level!

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Make the name public to warn other owners and my guess is it's not the first time this dealership has had issues! My local dealership was Dimmitt motorcars in Clearwater Florida (2 hours away) and EVERY TIME the car went in for service they screwed up something and I would have a local trusted shop fix the crappy repairs and finally when the warranty expired I was actually relieved!
Move on up the LOTUS chain and make them aware of your issues with your local dealership - Be nice, Lotus USA has been pretty good about taking care of issues that arise at the stealership level!
Nick, if and when I get another, I'd almost be willing to take the trip over your way to have your guys work on it. I'm sure you know I'm less than enamored with Dimmitt for multiple reasons. That's also why I will likely buy used as I don't want to reward their actions by buying another car from them. I will say that the crew (Jason, et al) that was there when I bought my car was great, but it went downhill soon thereafter - not that the pre-sale service was exemplary by any means, which should have been a sign. And don't get me started on their body shop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts