The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I just joined this forum yesterday after placing an order for an Elise :)
Although I'm a newbie here, I wanted to offer my experience.

See, I pre-ordered my 350Z in Feb. of last year, and waited an agonizing, hell-of-a-7-months to get my car in Sep. So I know what you guys are in for while you wait :D
From reading some of the posts here, it seems many think that the cars will be delivered in the order the orders were received. Well, that wasn't exactly the case for the 350Z. To deliver 7,500+ cars in 4 months time, Nissan built cars in groups of like-equipment, etc. That meant, that even though I was No. 1 on my dealer's list, I actually got my car third. :mad:
Had Nissan explained that to us in the beginning, it would have saved us some heartache.

I don't know how Lotus will be handling their preorder thing, but I'm sure it's gonna be a hell of a ride for us! :D And ANOTHER one for me.

Anyway, I hope you guys will welcome a Z guy here.:p

Peace,

By the way, I'm keeping my Z, too!

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Welcome, had a order in for a G35C 6m/t before backing out to go with a Elise. The volume is a lot lower for the Liz and it looks like they will be built to order. On the G35S/C they did the same thing as the Z the first month or two factory pre-bulit & the dealer would try to pick the closest thing to a customers order. In the case of my Lotus dealer he's due to get about 6 cars a months. So if I'm #7 or #12 it really doesn't matter we'll get the car about the same time. We'll see how it plays out.

Hey guys first orders should be going in the next few months, then we'll have a good 4 month wait for the first batch to show up... that will be the harder wait.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
HI Zakira,
From my understanding of the manufacturing process, they don't necessarily batch build cars, because of the small number involved. Besides, they'll probably be relatively few options available for the car which is certainly different than the 350Z.

BTW> Probably late 02 I had a brief weak moment, almost caved and bought a 350z. I'm glad I stayed on the Elise waiting list (been on a list since Jan 02). 350z is a cool car

Chris

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
There has been some speculation here about the order and delivery process, but as usual the facts are unknown. It sounds as if we will be asked to choose options and colors within the next couple of months, so that Lotus can start working on production shortly after the first of the year. I have no idea if they would benefit from grouping cars for production, such as by color or suspension type.

Clyde indicated that he would have good color samples and cars with different option set-ups at the LA Auto Show, so I'm hoping that we don't have to commit to anything before then, but rather shortly thereafter.

I've only known about the car since January 2003, and it's been too long of a wait. Not looking forward to waiting another six months or more. I have been trying to focus on April 2004 as the end of the wait, but it seems likely that the first cars might not even arrive until May and I may not get mine in the first batch, so add another month or two or more.

I try to console myself with the fact that some day I will be driving an Elise, whereas if Lotus were not in the picture, I would be buying a Honda S2000 or BMW Z4 (and probably would satisfied, but not quite ecstatic).

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I try to console myself with the fact that some day I will be driving an Elise, whereas if Lotus were not in the picture, I would be buying a Honda S2000 or BMW Z4
There are a lot of people only finding out now... who WON'T be driving an elise for quite a while after it comes over here. I count myself as lucky I saw this thing at the Austin Motor Show over a year ago. Not that the wait hasn't been killing me for every minute of it.

Cade

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the welcomes and responses, guys.

Many of us here have been waiting an agonizing hell-of-a-2+-years for the Elise
MikeAR303, I hear ya, HAHA. I've been waiting for the Skyline GT-R, myself.

Anyway, I hope to learn a lot about the Elise here.

By the way, I ordered from Symbolic BH. They told me I'm No. 41. Does that sound 'bout right? Cause, deep down, I still wanna believe that the earlier you order, the earlier the delivery. :D

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Zakira said:
They told me I'm No. 41. Does that sound 'bout right? Cause, deep down, I still wanna believe that the earlier you order, the earlier the delivery. :D

That does sound about right, and I do think that in general, the earlier you order the earlier you will get the car.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Welcome!

My roommate has a 04 Z...we have lots of fun with that car:D

Hope to see you at the auto show. Good luck waiting...although some of us have been waiting since the S1 hit europe. Never thought it would actually reach our shores. Atleast you have a very nice toy to ease your driving needs until magic number 41 rolls around.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Randy. But, what would your best guesstimate be at this time on the ETA, say, for me (#41BH)? I hope it won't be too bad.

Modern Wedgie:
No kidding, and 04, huh? Nice. You guys must get a lot of attention in that thing. My GF says she gets lots of looks when she drives the Z. Of course, when we all get our Elise....:D

Auto SHow, that's right. That's the official unveiling of Fed Elise, isn't it. I'm a little slow, have a lot of catchin up to do. :p

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Zakira said:
Thanks Randy. But, what would your best guesstimate be at this time on the ETA, say, for me (#41BH)? I hope it won't be too bad.
41... maybe 6 months after they start to arrive?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
41... maybe 6 months after they start to arrive?
NOOOOOOOOOOOO, Randy. Tell me it ain't so...:( :( :(
THat's it, I'm outta here...(j/k) :p

But, how many Lotus dealers are there in the states? Do you think some dealers will get higher priority? etc., etc.

Oh well...just have to wait with everyone.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Some dealers should be getting more cars than others.

I suspect Symbolic will get 100 cars at BH and 100 cars at La Jolla. So it would take 6 months to get to the 50th person. At 41, maybe it's 5 months. And since cars come in batches, maybe you would get lucky and get it 4.5 months.

And people can still drop off the list.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Zakira said:
Do you think some dealers will get higher priority? etc., etc.
From a utilitarian standpoint, highest priority should go to dealers in the NorthEast and upper Midwest since if their orders aren't filled until September/October, their customers won't have sufficient warm weather left to enjoy them before locking them away for 6 months. Florida and California buyers can take delivery in December without any problem. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Bob, the sudden Utilitarian

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
Hell Zak,
You should be able to do the piddling few months remaining standing on your head, some of us poor schmucks have had deposits down since Dec 01-Jan 02

Chris:p
Think about this though... Having been one of those poor schmucks... :) It is probably...no...not probably...it will truly be harder for the people on the waiting list once the cars start arriving and we start posting pics and write ups.

I can't wait!

:)

·
Registered
296 Posts
HoopyFrood said:
priority should go to dealers in the NorthEast and upper Midwest since if their orders aren't filled until September/October, their customers won't have sufficient warm weather
How 'bout ya move to a better state Bob:p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts