The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey my name is Jeff and I live in the Denver area. I've been eyeing Elises for years but I'm finally in a position to buy one. I wanted to do a little research and possibly buy something from this forum.

From what I've seen over the years it seems like these hold their value pretty well. Do people feel like that is the case? If one of these is totaled from some cosmetic damage to the clam shells do insurance companies end up paying out anything close to what they are worth on the private market?

I'm just worried about buying a 30k car and having someone hit it and then have an insurance company give me 10k or something ridiculous.

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,377 Posts
Denver is a good place to own one of these cars. LOCO is fairly active with drives most of the summer, one coming up this weekend even.

I think the cars hold value well enough. I have agreed value policy on mine, guessing that costs a bit more but I know worst case that way.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Your state may value it at $10k for taxes (mine does) but your insurance won’t. You can get an agreed value policy if you want, but most companies will allow you to present current sales data to argue a higher value if they don’t want to pay out correctly at first

·
Registered
720 Posts
I bought my used '06 for $37k in '07. As of August 25, 2020, it's priceless!

Reactions: goelise

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm for some reason I thought the starting price of these back in '05/'06 was $45k. Maybe my poor memory just added inflation for me.

That is good to hear.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
74 Posts
Hmmm for some reason I thought the starting price of these back in '05/'06 was $45k. Maybe my poor memory just added inflation for me.

That is good to hear.
According to the below article MSRP was a hair under $40k, so with options $45k is probably realistic. There have been a few, particularly well cared for ones still selling around $40k, but yeah I guess the average is about $35k, but it has been for like a decade. I guess saying it's near MSRP is not overly accurate, I was thinking MSRP with both packs was around $40 new.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts