The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't sure where to post this. It is a fairly large forum and I tried searching and didn't find any helpful information but I need help with a clear bra.
I tried to remove one area and got exhausted after trying to pull it off. I cut off the piece so now it looks ridiculous and dirty because I can't get the glue off!
I have an 05 Elise with I think it is called starshield clear bra and I want to have it removed since it doesn't look good.
It has a lot of little wrinkles and fingerprints in the film ( its a yellow car) I would like to have it professionally redone in my area (Medina Ohio or within 25 miles).
I wondered if anyone here would know more or someone who does the clear bra installs with great results.
Any advice would be certainly appreciated.
Thank you,
Mrs.Peach

·
Banned
874 Posts
I think paint thinner will take off the glue but i dont know about any ppl who install it but i'm pretty sure there are many places.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Not sure I would want to use paint thinner on my paint. I would try and adhesive remover or something like WD-40..

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
contact (brake) cleaner should take off the glue without ruining the paint. Still, try it in one small area as a test.

·
Registered
317 Posts
If you search using the keywords "remove" and "starshield" you'll see several relevant posts or you could try contacting Starshield directly and have them tell you to steam it off.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm a bit nervous about trying solvents on my paint, so I will hold off on doing it myself.
I checked Starshields site and it says I would need to buy a 3m adhesive remover. I'm not going to bother doing that I'm 53 years old. I'm not going to take a full day removing this stuff.
The film was on the car when I bought it, in 2005 so it's not new and they will not come here just to remove it. I bought the car in New York, so I can't go back to the dealer. I think I will deal locally for a clear bra that way if I do have any other issues I can have it dealt with swiftly. The warranty work for this, just isn't worth it.
I hear venture shield is good, I will research it a bit more.
So I think I will call the dealer later today and see if they can remove this film and suggest a replacment.
Thanks for your help everyone and wish me luck,:wave:
Mrs. peach

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
I'll be more than happy to sell you a replacement in quality material if you need one.

venture. lol. No thanks. But if I did choose to sell that stuff I would make the highest profit margin since it's the cheapest film.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Contact Mats "swede".
He had his car done locally, Twinsburg area. It maybe more than 25 miles depending where in Medina you're coming from.

It has a lot of little wrinkles and fingerprints in the film ( its a yellow car) I would like to have it professionally redone in my area (Medina Ohio or within 25 miles).
I wondered if anyone here would know more or someone who does the clear bra installs with great results.
Any advice would be certainly appreciated.
Thank you,
Mrs.Peach

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Welcome to the Ohio club:wave:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts