The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll start off by saying that I'm gonna make this long winded because I can.
The time has finally come!! From being a 11 year old prepubescent boy, dreaming of playing Gran Tourismo 3 while in school to being a 21 year old recent adult dreaming of playing Gran Tourismo 5 wile at work.
From feeling exhil
From dreaming of owning a Porsche at 16 to still being car-less at 18 :(. From thinking about a prius (just last year) to jumping on the most mainstream of sports car, the mustang. From thinking about a lotus, to almost settling fom an RX-8.
From stalling the mustang 4 times on my first attempt on driving a manual, and having the dealer decide to drive me in it instead, to stalling the miata 4 times at a stoplight, making everyone behind me super pissed and starting to take over (actually had to trade seats so we could get out of there. The throw was so short, it was hard for me to differentiate between 1st and 3rd).
From driving 130 miles (chi) to test a lotus (which never happened) to flying 800miles to buy a lotus, I FINALLY GOT AN ELISE

Got up close and personal with an elise on thursday, for the first time. Got to drive it on the streets of DC/VA on friday. Only stalled twice, and required zero coaching. I never really let it loose during that drive, but i got to get a good feel for it. Still on the fence, but on sunday, my folks came around, and I immediately got it (for you chic-fil-a thread arguers, this was an actual miracle).

Worked everything out with the seller on Monday. Great seller by the way. Got it from mikeinalexandria. Took it home, spent 5 minutes showing my mom how to get in, and another 5 minutes getting her out :D.We picked up the other car came back. Luckily, I returned later than she so i got the drive way all to myself, unless the next paragraph would have ended a lot worse for the car.
Wanted my pops to hear the engine sound, turned the car on with the clutch pedal depressed, e-brakes on, but the car just starts rolling back, pulling him and my mom with the door. Thankfully for them and the car, they fell out of the path of the door.
Anyway, with about 40-50mins of total time behind the wheel of a manual tranny car, and these minutes always logged with supervision, and included a lot of stalling, I set out on my 800mile, half day trip from MD to IL!!! Got a lot of compliments, people gawking in their cars. I'm on 68 and decide to take a scenic route on 40 so I can really let the car loose. This road is super curvy, the car handled it well, but i almost lost control (due to my slow reaction, not the car) taking multiple consecutive S curves at 50-70mph , then slowed down.
I was coming off a ramp which i think was a 270deg ramp and decided to take it at 70+ , and near the end i steered a little harder and the back kicked out for a second there, luckily, it corrected without me having to do anything but slow down and release the wheel a little.
Took one more curve at 80, but didn't realize it came to a stop sign (was expecting a hwy). At least, I know the elise has excellent brakes :D. Tires squealed a little on that one.
The rest of the drive consisted of me following a mini cooper, which i have a new found respect for (had some problems keeping up), buick lucerne and older slk. And ofc, forgive me for doing this, but dropping down to 4th, flooring it into the second cam and into the red line a bit. Car just flies from 60 to 120 and still keeps the handling, then slowing down for the guy who tried to flex his muscles :D.:shift:
Oh, and while packing, I mistakenly hit the light switch right below the light and didn't figure out where that switch was until about 11 hours into the trip :wallbang:

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And wow, the growl is so infatuating, at parking lot speeds, i just want to go extra slow just to hear the growl more!!!
and when that second cam kicks in, its over.
Feels like a cockpit in there
Got one of those decorative pillows as a cushion, best $10 i ever spent on that car. Better view, posture and comfort

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Congrats on the car, you'll enjoy.

Heads up though. You say you've little to no experience with a manual transmission car. How about driving a mid engine car?

Your inexperience could have bitten you very badly when you decided to take that 270 turn at 70. If you don't know what you're doing with a mid engine car, you dive deep into a turn at speed like you did, feel like you have to over correct the steering or even worse, lift off the throttle during the turn and you will spin like a top. The way you described it, sounds like that almost happened to you.

Many folks have learned the hard way when lifting off throttle in the middle of a turn.

Be very careful until you really get the hang of driving a mid engine car.

·
Registered
170 Posts
my folks came around
If you let them read this post, they might "come around" again and get you away from the Lotus. You are driving the car too hard on the street. Only 35% of us have experienced significant oversteer in our Elises, and we've had our cars longer than you.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f259/have-you-experienced-significant-oversteer-108709/

I wanted an Elise in a desperate, talk about it all the time, way for 15 years before I got one.

Jason

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Go start autocrossing and do some track days to really learn the car.
It's not worth trying to 'learn' the car on the public roads.
You'll be surprised how much of a crappy driver you are with the car constantly laughing at you the first time you drive on the track.
But after all that, you'll enjoy the car even more and have some new found respect for the car.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Congrats on the car, you'll enjoy.

Heads up though. You say you've little to no experience with a manual transmission car. How about driving a mid engine car?

Your inexperience could have bitten you very badly when you decided to take that 270 turn at 70. If you don't know what you're doing with a mid engine car, you dive deep into a turn at speed like you did, feel like you have to over correct the steering or even worse, lift off the throttle during the turn and you will spin like a top. The way you described it, sounds like that almost happened to you.

Many folks have learned the hard way when lifting off throttle in the middle of a turn.

Be very careful until you really get the hang of driving a mid engine car.
If you let them read this post, they might "come around" again and get you away from the Lotus. You are driving the car too hard on the street. Only 35% of us have experienced significant oversteer in our Elises, and we've had our cars longer than you.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f259/have-you-experienced-significant-oversteer-108709/

I wanted an Elise in a desperate, talk about it all the time, way for 15 years before I got one.

Jason
Go start autocrossing and do some track days to really learn the car.
It's not worth trying to 'learn' the car on the public roads.
You'll be surprised how much of a crappy driver you are with the car constantly laughing at you the first time you drive on the track.
But after all that, you'll enjoy the car even more and have some new found respect for the car.
ee.engineer, these are all good advice and the first thing that came to mind when I read your thread...you'll appreciate the car more if you do what they say. And congrats on the car, it's gorgeous :up:

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
btw, this is my first manual, and first car that does 0-60 in under 8 seconds.
but yea, I'm going to slow it down now. One question, does shifting in the second cam hurt anything?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As far as a quick wash goes, is there anything special i need to do apart from just spray with water, and maybe scrub gently?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Learn proper wash techniques.

Dont make small scratches/swirls

Dont let the car get water spots.

First few months with the Elise it was outside....... got water spots, they got baked in.......

Many hours required to remove both. Only takes a few extra minutes when washing to do it right.

Auto geek has some good videos on youtube of how to wash properly. a vast majority of cars are swirl monsters.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
congrats, man! enjoy it!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
took the hard top off finally, so much fun without it, it should be illegal!!! (the fun, not the top)
Gonna spray the car this weekend, then do a full wash next weekend.
Do y'all cover the engine compartments when washing?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
It sounds like you made it home safely! I am so glad to have found a buyer for the car that seems to love it as much as I do! It was good fun. Remember what the other folks were saying about grip on the street, the whole time I had the car, it only came loose that one evening when I still had dissimilar back tires.

Have fun and be safe! Now the wait continues on the little silver car...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Nice car man, enjoy her. Practice hard turning in an open lot before taking the chances on the road, its not like other cars, It will get fiesty at times.

·
Registered
409 Posts
this can't end well :(

Sorry for my negativity but i feel you will keep pushing the car until you pass it's limit and you won't know how to recover. Or even more likely, you'll go too fast into a corner and lift off the throttle in panic.

Take it to the autocross and eff up there, these cars don't drive like others and you have very limited experience in the first place.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts