The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to the forum. One of those cars I dreamed of having as a kid was a Lotus. Currently have a mint 99 Vette that I'll be selling. Also going through a separation with my wife so may not be till next year. Could be this year if everything goes through well. Anyways, couple questions.

I'm interested in getting an Exige but possibly an Elise. Just for street driving, no track. Could those who own either explain what drew you to either the Elise as opposed to the Exige and vice versa? Just as a personal opinion type of thing.

Also what do they sound like stock. Anyone have a clip? I've looked at a lot of videos on here before posting, but most don't say if stock or if they do say it's an aftermarket. I have a Borla exhaust on my Vette. I like the sound of a nice exhaust. Any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
You should do a search on the subject as the topic has been discussed many times, but in general the supercharged Exige is an extreme track monster that can be driven on the street. The normally aspirated Elise doesn't have as much power, but has better rear visibility and is designed to be driven on the street (although it is also a great track car). The Elise SC (supercharged) has more power and performance than the normally aspirated Elise, and was introduced in 2008. The Exige and Elise are variations on the same theme, but with body and styling differences that you should look at and decide what appeals to you. It is very strongly recommended that you test drive both cars as they are not for everyone. Both cars are exceptionally beautiful and perhaps the best handling exotic sports cars made. Whichever you choose, it is highly recommended that you get your car in the color red.

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have done several searches. Just looking for people's personal opinions not in depth analysis of handling characteristics in both of them =). That, I've read about. I've always said in bikes, sleds and cars buy what gets your crank going. So tell me what made you chose the car you chose. I'd like to test drive one but I haven't seen any locally. Fairly rare. Closest dealer is 150 miles away in CT. If it's performance I can handle it =). Just take me some time to get used to it. It's what I want.

And yes I've heard red is fastest. My Vette's red =).

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
I bought the Elise SC with removable hard-top and soft-top over the Exige because I thought it was more beautiful (not that the Exige isn't) and was slightly more practical for the street. Not having an intercooler behind your head gives you a little more rear visibity and therefore safety. I drove both cars and found them to be very very close, but preferred the Elise (especially with the top off :) ). I have driven the Elise on the track and was extremely impressed with it's performance. I haven't driven an Exige on the track, but know from friends that it's a blast. One of the things I did that may help you is that I went to several dealerships and looked at their cars in person. I saw and sat in an Elise, Elise SC, Elise California, Elise Type 72, Exige (several) and in many different colors. At one Minnesota dealer, for example, I saw six Elise's and two Exige's (don't know if you can find that many in one place now though). Seeing them in person can really help you decide. Another thing you can do is watch this board and see when there is a "Meet and Drive" in your area. That would be your opportunity to see many different models, model years, colors and so on at the same time. Something is going to just "speak to you."

The Exige and the Elise both have extreme styling, for sure. Now this will sound a little ridiculous, but the Exige has Extreme Extreme styling and the Elise only Extreme styling - so you gotta ask yourself "how extreme do I want to be?"

With regard to the stock exhaust sound - not very impressive (Lotus-tuned 4-cylinder Toyota engine), but if you add a Stage-II exhaust they sound good.

In the mean time, you should join: Red Syndicate | Facebook

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
if you include your general city someone may offer a ride in a lotus.
they are a real kind bunch.
also, watch for some lotus function that may be near you. meet someone, they are willing to "spread the word".
sam

·
Registered
531 Posts
Welcome :wave:

What kind of Yamaha do you ride? Looks like an R1 in your avatar. I have had quite a lot of Yamaha's they are great bikes.

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
Welcome!! :wave:

·
Super Moderator
5,459 Posts
Welcome :wave:

And in answer to your question - I bought the Elise over the Exige because I like open cars - simple as that :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought the Elise SC with removable hard-top and soft-top over the Exige because I thought it was more beautiful (not that the Exige isn't) and was slightly more practical for the street. Not having an intercooler behind your head gives you a little more rear visibity and therefore safety. I drove both cars and found them to be very very close, but preferred the Elise (especially with the top off :) ). I have driven the Elise on the track and was extremely impressed with it's performance. I haven't driven an Exige on the track, but know from friends that it's a blast. One of the things I did that may help you is that I went to several dealerships and looked at their cars in person. I saw and sat in an Elise, Elise SC, Elise California, Elise Type 72, Exige (several) and in many different colors. At one Minnesota dealer, for example, I saw six Elise's and two Exige's (don't know if you can find that many in one place now though). Seeing them in person can really help you decide. Another thing you can do is watch this board and see when there is a "Meet and Drive" in your area. That would be your opportunity to see many different models, model years, colors and so on at the same time. Something is going to just "speak to you."

The Exige and the Elise both have extreme styling, for sure. Now this will sound a little ridiculous, but the Exige has Extreme Extreme styling and the Elise only Extreme styling - so you gotta ask yourself "how extreme do I want to be?"

With regard to the stock exhaust sound - not very impressive (Lotus-tuned 4-cylinder Toyota engine), but if you add a Stage-II exhaust they sound good.

In the mean time, you should join: Red Syndicate | Facebook
Thanks. That's exactly the type of feedback I was looking for. So I'd have to factor in the cost of an exhaust. I'm leaning towards the Exige because of that "extreme extreme styling." That's a good way to put it. I'm from the Syracuse area in Central NY. I'll have to keep my eyes open for a local Lotus function.

Buell that was my 04 R1. I got rid of my 07 R1 last summer. I was starting to get too crazy on it. Currently I have a Kawi Z1000. But the wife will probably take that with her believe it or not.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Z1000's are gorgeous bikes. I sure hope if she takes the bike you take the house. That would be a good compromise.
I know what you mean about the R1 I had a ZX10 and every time I rode it I should have got arrested. You didn't shift
out of first until 105MPH. :eek: How can you not get in trouble?

·
Registered
774 Posts
#1. Welcome to the boards. :wave:
#2. My GF and her family are all from Syracuse, and I am up there quite often (gotta pick up my regular fix of Dinosaur sauce don'tcha know ;)). If I ever make it up there in my Exige instead of the DD, I'll PM you, and you would be more than welcome to "test drive" it.

If you are a flat-out performance junkie, then the Exige is for you - probably even further modded even. However, if as you say - a track event is never even a possibility, over-all the Elise is a much more "streetable" car. Either one will sound much better with an aftermarket exhaust. Stock, IMO on either, is rather "whimpy". Combined with either being a Supercharged model - the sound can then be quite agressive, if not "refined". Think F1 sound, rather than rumble-ground-shaking american big v-8 muscle, which in any case - these cars will NEVER sound like (nor would I personally ever want them to) either.

LOONY (Lotus Owners of NY) hosts several events, and I'm sure there are meet-n-greets up that way somewhere. Watch out for those, and get out and say hello. As mentioned, I've personally found Lotus owners to be amongst the most friendly / open / inviting of any marquis enthusiast group, bar none.

Good luck in your search / selection / choice!

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
i picked exige over elise, because it looks more badass and it was the only model to come supercharged.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
#1. Welcome to the boards. :wave:
#2. My GF and her family are all from Syracuse, and I am up there quite often (gotta pick up my regular fix of Dinosaur sauce don'tcha know ;)). If I ever make it up there in my Exige instead of the DD, I'll PM you, and you would be more than welcome to "test drive" it.

If you are a flat-out performance junkie, then the Exige is for you - probably even further modded even. However, if as you say - a track event is never even a possibility, over-all the Elise is a much more "streetable" car. Either one will sound much better with an aftermarket exhaust. Stock, IMO on either, is rather "whimpy". Combined with either being a Supercharged model - the sound can then be quite agressive, if not "refined". Think F1 sound, rather than rumble-ground-shaking american big v-8 muscle, which in any case - these cars will NEVER sound like (nor would I personally ever want them to) either.

LOONY (Lotus Owners of NY) hosts several events, and I'm sure there are meet-n-greets up that way somewhere. Watch out for those, and get out and say hello. As mentioned, I've personally found Lotus owners to be amongst the most friendly / open / inviting of any marquis enthusiast group, bar none.

Good luck in your search / selection / choice!
I'll be sure to check out LOONY. I'd really like that if you do make it up here with the Exige. Was going to go to the Dinosaur the other night after a Hockey game but didn't make it. Great food. Thanks for the input. I'm leaning towards the Exige.

Buell it is one of the smoothest bikes I've ridden. Unfortunately though I ride it, it is "technically" her bike so she gets it.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I picked the Exige because Elises are for sissies. But I soon realized the Exige was too manly for me, so I put pink wheels on it.

xtn

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
Buell it is one of the smoothest bikes I've ridden. Unfortunately though I ride it, it is "technically" her bike so she gets it.
Really? I test rode the Z1000 and it is the only bike I have ever ridden where I giggled from the vibrations.

I chose the Exige over the Elise cause it was badass. As simple as that. :D I saw it and fell in love. Kind of like my latest motorcycle. Did I need a liter bike? No, but I fell in love. :p

·
Registered
817 Posts
Get a supercharged Elise. It's nice to see out of the rearview mirror, but most Exige owners don't mind...

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
OP, welcome :wave:

I picked the Exige because Elises are for sissies. But I soon realized the Exige was too manly for me, so I put pink wheels on it.
yea..pink wheels ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Really? I test rode the Z1000 and it is the only bike I have ever ridden where I giggled from the vibrations.

I chose the Exige over the Elise cause it was badass. As simple as that. :D I saw it and fell in love. Kind of like my latest motorcycle. Did I need a liter bike? No, but I fell in love. :p
No one on the road "needs" a liter bike lol. Musta ridden a loose one. No vibrations on mine, super smooth. That's why I think I'm leaning towards the Exige. It looks mean.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
I generally recommend the car you like the looks of better. Polls here have demonstrated that we're pretty evenly split on the looks of the Elise vs. the Exige.

I've owned two Elises. One with sport suspension and one without. One with an aftermarket exhaust and one with stock. If you don't plan to track the car, I would choose the non-sport suspension. The sport suspension can be uncomfortably stiff on bumpy roads.

Sound quality is tougher. The stock exhaust still has a nice sound. The quality of the sound from after market options varies, but they are definitely louder. Sound clips never seem to fairly represent the sound quality. You have to be in the driver's seat to properly assess this.

Start test driving cars. It will all become clearer.

Good luck and welcome!
Todd

1 - 19 of 19 Posts