The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all. I'm swapping my 996 Carrera 4 cabriolet for an 07 Argent red Elise. Can't wait. I have one burning question raised during the test drive. I am not a tall guy (5'8") but had to lean forward to see traffic lights because the top of the windshield blocked them. Because of looking through the very top of the windshield, I looked for a vertical seat adjustment and couldn't find anything. It looks like the seat is almost sitting on the floor. Is there a way to lower and/or tilt the seat backwards on this car. I have a large, full machine shop at my disposal.

Walt Donovan

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Welcome and hope you enjoy your new ride.

Only drivers seat adjustment is forwards and backwards. You just have to get used to stopping in the right place :tadts:

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
If the Elise you are buying still has the sun visors installed remove them and you will be surprised at how much better you can see traffic lights.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
TADTS

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
Congratulations.....and welcome. Lots of new owners this week!!

·
Premium Member
12,152 Posts
40-50 yrs ago, when many cars had visors over the windshield, drivers would mount a prism* at the front of the dash. It would show the colors of the traffic lights.

*Not a Geo.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
One solution to not seeing the traffic lights because of the windshield header is in fact a prism. Try a Light in Sight: LightInSight - Windshield Mounted Traffic Light Lens

I had one and it worked - until someone reached into my car when parked with the roof off and stole it (no, the motion detector did not set off the alarm - I probably have the only one that's not too sensitive).

Also, if you are going to pick up your car tomorrow, download the Owner's Manual and read it tonight. The car has lots of little quirks that are explained in the Manual: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101/elise-owners-manaul-pdf-34395/

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
Light In Sight - I clicked "Fits These Cars" and Lotus was not listed. Will it fit?

:p

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Light In Sight - I clicked "Fits These Cars" and Lotus was not listed. Will it fit?
Yes, it fits everything. It is just a vinyal film with a Fresnel lens molded into it. It simply sticks to the windshield via "static cling". You can move it from car to car.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Welcome aboard!! Nice to see more new owners! :clap:

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
Yes, it fits everything. It is just a vinyal film with a Fresnel lens molded into it. It simply sticks to the windshield via "static cling". You can move it from car to car.

Maybe you missed it. I was kidding. I thought it was funny that the site actually had a list of cars that it would fit.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Maybe you missed it. I was kidding. I thought it was funny that the site actually had a list of cars that it would fit.
:eek: Yep, I missed it. You are right, the list is a bit silly...

·
Registered
836 Posts
And swap the huge rear view (inside) mirror for something smaller. Check with Sector 111, they have a couple of options. I went with the micro mirror and it works great.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Pics! Gotta see it! Good luck with your new car.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome. The lens thing is unbelievable. Is there another mfr that made a car that you can't see out of? I'm reluctant to put something more on a windshield that I already have issues with (except as a very last resort of course). I will remove the visors today after I get the roof off. I haven't had a car with a hard roof since 1985 so I feel a little imprisoned until I get that thing off. I do want to pursue the seat position. I can't get my finger under the seat tub so I guess it's pretty close to the floor. I will look if the front can be raised a bit in an effort to tilt the seat backwards.

BTW Picked up my little toy yesterday and after driving it home (a 3hr 15min ride) I felt like pouring Champagne over my head in true Emmo style. It was a fun drive. Not as refined as the 911 I left at the dealer but a lot more fun. I will post pics soon.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
What I did to tilt my seat (not that I’m advising you to do this, OK that was my disclaimer) was to get longer bolts for the front and put large washer under the seat rails. I think I went up about 3/8 of an inch. I did nothing to the back of the seat. This tilted the seat a bit and made the seat vary comfy. In the stock position my butt bones (I’m skinny) would get a bit sore after awhile. Tilting it got more seat under my legs, now I can drive for hours and I’m just fine. The best seat I’ve had in any car. Also I don’t feel like I’m leaning forward anymore and the reach to the wheel and peddles is perfect for me now. A few other Lotus people that have sat in my car to try it out have really liked it.

Congratulation and Good luck with the new car, and of course welcome to Lotus ownership and LT.

·
Registered
685 Posts
BTW Picked up my little toy yesterday and after driving it home (a 3hr 15min ride) I felt like pouring Champagne over my head in true Emmo style. It was a fun drive. Not as refined as the 911 I left at the dealer but a lot more fun. I will post pics soon.
Welcome and Congrats!

I'm 5' 9". I too had issues looking out at traffic lights but got used to it after a couple of times. The visors is still on my Elise and is helpful when driving against long summer sunset. The seat, as-is, works for me. Again, you'll get used to it too.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What I did to tilt my seat (not that I’m advising you to do this, OK that was my disclaimer) was to get longer bolts for the front and put large washer under the seat rails. I think I went up about 3/8 of an inch. I did nothing to the back of the seat. This tilted the seat a bit and made the seat vary comfy. In the stock position my butt bones (I’m skinny) would get a bit sore after awhile. Tilting it got more seat under my legs, now I can drive for hours and I’m just fine. The best seat I’ve had in any car. Also I don’t feel like I’m leaning forward anymore and the reach to the wheel and peddles is perfect for me now. A few other Lotus people that have sat in my car to try it out have really liked it.

Congratulation and Good luck with the new car, and of course welcome to Lotus ownership and LT.
Under the rails? Not between the seat and the rails? Did you have to remove the belly pan?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts