The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so i've known about the elise for several years now, and was more into raw power until speeding down the highway in my piece of a car and couldn't sustain 120 on a turn and having to slow down. A friend of mine has always been a BMW enthusiast and got me into the M series.

I initially had planned on buying a used M3 in a couple of years after college but seeing how the elise is much more affordable and handles better, i'm seriously considering one.

Down below are serveral questions:

-If money isn't an issue would you prefer a exige over an elise? (<-a hypothetical question - most people seem to like the elise more)

-which options are a must have? (i'll probably just stick with the touring pack)

-I've always driven a white or white-like colored car because of the extreme heat where I live and white or any other standard color makes the car look cheap and/or don't want to be noticed too often by the cops. (essentially i'm asking what color, i'm leaning towards laser blue cause prism green is pricey), what year? (thinking about an 05)

And i'm a bit of a skeptic when used and lotus are in the same sentence (afraid the car will have some problems due to being raced)

I can't afford it as of now but lets just say when i'm 22 i can buy an m5 in cash but considering depreciation when it comes to cars i'd rather not.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I can't afford it as of now but lets just say when i'm 22 i can buy an m5 in cash but considering depreciation when it comes to cars i'd rather not.
...the exige is i think a bit more pure of a design, certainly more of a race car, but the elise is more casual and much better-suited to daily driving...the greater concern at your age, though, will be insurance - i know people in their early twenties paying four figures per month to insure their lotus...

·
Registered
852 Posts
The Exige is actually slightly slower than an Elise with the same engine, because of the aerodynamic elements used to generate a little extra downforce. It makes up for it in added traction in turns, but the difference in downforce at 100mph is less than 100lbs.

The rest of the car is very similar - interior's the same, and most options like suspensions, etc. are the same. Exige variants with superchargers have offered more HP, but aftermarket kits like the Katana for the Elise are very competitive in performance and cost.

You can find quite a bit more info browsing the forum for a few minutes...

John

·
Registered
344 Posts
The only option that is not an option: STARSHIELD (or an aftermarket)

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...surprisingly, my dealer recommends against starshield, in fact suggests that the cost of starshield installation and replacement coupled with repainting penetrating impacts breaks even at best versus simply repainting affected panels at similar intervals...

·
Registered
431 Posts
...surprisingly, my dealer recommends against starshield, in fact suggests that the cost of starshield installation and replacement coupled with repainting penetrating impacts breaks even at best versus simply repainting affected panels at similar intervals...
:huh: What's the name of your dealer?

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
:huh: What's the name of your dealer?
Yeah, he needs to not be a dealer anymore.

I would not consider one of these cars without Starshield, or coating the rockers and nose with Rhino Liner/Linexrotfl

·
Registered
119 Posts
Im 27 with two points on my record I added the 05 elise laser blue to my already existing two car policy for only 120 more a month, bought my car used no problems but I garage it alot not for daily use. My 22 year old girl freind has 2 points as well and is on my policy for all cars. The exige is more racer ready appearance wise and looks a little more intense definately liked more by a younger crowd. However I am modifying my car in time to my liking and its only adding extra mods to an already perfect car 05 elise laser blue. black rims, good luck.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
bolt said:
-If money isn't an issue would you prefer a exige over an elise?
I chose the Exige for many reasons, none of which was cost.

bolt said:
-which options are a must have?
Starshield (its almost a given that a used car would come with this anyway). Most cars will also come with the Touring Pack (adds some leather and electric windows...basically just an interior option).

bolt said:
essentially i'm asking what color, i'm leaning towards laser blue cause prism green is pricey, what year? (thinking about an 05)
with an 05, your don't have an option of prism green (which is an expensive new 08 color), however krypton green is available (which is much cheaper and looks similar) on the 05's.

bolt said:
And i'm a bit of a skeptic when used and lotus are in the same sentence (afraid the car will have some problems due to being raced)
Most Lotus are not raced. Tracked maybe, but that shouldn't deter you from a nice car. It does require you to be more diligent about inspecting the car and making sure it was cared for. Oftentimes, those that track their cars maintain them to a higher standard than those that don't. There are exceptions to this of course on both sides. Reputable sellers typically disclose how many track days a car has seen as well, so you know what to expect.

Advice you will hear often here...read and learn as much as you can so you can make an informed decision when you do decide to buy. This forum is a very valuable tool to someone interested in Lotus cars, and most of your questions have probably been answered many times...you only have to look. Good luck!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies. I'm much more comfortable into looking at the used elises. If I just had the money...i'd buy one now

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I have owned both. For primarily street driving - Elise. For primarily track driving - Exige (although the Elise is fine on the track).

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
Both cars have so many plusses, it's easy to see why a few people own one of each.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts