The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've lusted over the Lotus Elise ever since they came over to the US. I read all I could about them, and was in awe of the reviews and how they seemed to be able to finesse their way around tracks. There's a few that autocross near me, and it seemed unbelievable how fast they gobbled up corners. Living in CO, though, I didn't think that I could ever afford one, especially as a daily driver in the snow.

However, there was one near me for a good price. It popped up on Autotrader and I showed it to my wife. I expected her to say, "Oh, that's nice dear..." but instead, she said, "Oh! That's nice, dear!"

The dealer was supposed to have gotten the Elise in on a Tuesday. I swung by at lunch.. no dice. The delivery truck was late. I kept pinging them, until finally that Saturday, it arrived. I went down with the wife, checked it out, and we were both struck by the beauty of the car. The dealer wasn't eager to allow test drives due to fear of joyrides, so we got their card and went home and punched some numbers.

Come Monday, we were back. The Elise was still there, and we proved serious enough to the dealer to get test drives.

My car for the past two and a half years is an 04 Subaru Impreza WRX STi. It has some mods, but it is a pretty average STi. The Elise is, surprisingly, much softer than the STi. The ride is more comfortable, though the seat isn't as comfortable as the Recaro Speed I have in it. The stereo is much better in the Elise (I have a aftermarket one in the STi; the 04 didn't come with one stock) and it doesn't rattle as much. Obviously, space is tight. I like the shifter better in the Elise, but the gauges and driver ergonomics are much better in the STi. The STi has tons of torque on demand, while the Elise is much slower, especially down in the rev range. The STi makes all of its torque right at 3500-3800 RPM, so passing people on the highway is just flexing the foot away. The Elise needs to be revved to make power, so downshifting three gears is necessary.

However, the turns! There's a onramp that the STi takes at about 45-48 mph while on summer tires. The Elise is on all seasons for some reason, but it was able to take the same onramp curve at 50 mph, no sweat at all.

A few minutes of haggling later, and my wife and I are the proud new owners of a 2005 Elise with 6,400 miles on it. I'm told it has the Touring Package and the Sport Package, and it has the matching hardtop too.

It's late, so no good pictures yet, but I will definitely try soon. But in the meanwhile:

I'll be back to lurking and learning more about my new car. Can't wait to get it on an autox course!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Welcome and Congrats! great color!

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
A few minutes of haggling later, and my wife and I are the proud new owners of a 2005 Elise with 6,400 miles on it. I'm told it has the Touring Package and the Sport Package, and it has the matching hardtop too.

It's late, so no good pictures yet, but I will definitely try soon. But in the meanwhile:

I'll be back to lurking and learning more about my new car. Can't wait to get it on an autox course!
Welcome! :wave: You'll find lots of helpful information here...

·
Failed at Self Control
653 Posts
Beautiful!!! :clap:

- z

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Welcome and congrats! :wave:

Be careful taking ramps fast. Lifting or other silliness during a high speed turn might break your new toy. Best to drive hard at the track.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
CONGRATS and welcome to the club!:evil:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts