The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a deposit on a used 07 exige S which was originally from HRM it has a component mounted between the front clam and the inner wheel well (possible HID or front driving lights). Can anyone tell me if this is factory or dealer installed? If you open your door and look above the hinge you can see between the clam and the inner wheel well this component is bare metal and approx. the size of a cigarette pack. The problem with the car I put the deposit on, after the deposit was made, pressure or a shock to the front end had the clam hit the component and spider cracked the clam/paint. At this point I am out my deposit or purchase a damage car. Any help would greatly appreciated.:wallbang:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does your elise have any components mounted in this area? Closest dealship for me to look is 2 hrs.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Just checked my 2007 Exige S - there is nothing visible in the area you describe - sounds like aftermarket HID ballast to me also.

And, heading off what everyone is surely thinking, if there was damage after you paid your deposit ..... you need to get your deposit back - is this from a dealer?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bane,

Thank you that is excactly the component that is in place. Yes the car is from a dealership and I will work this week on return of the deposit. Extremely disapointing weekend as me and my 11 year old son rented a car and drove 250 miles with the intention of drive our purchase home only to discover the damage and rent again to get back home. Again thanks for your time and research.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HRM HID

All HRM car owners and those with HID lights should be aware of the potential for damage to the front clam if the ballast is located between the clam and the inner liner.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have HRM HID's but no issues like you describe

Hi Everett, I also sent you an e-mail, but after our telephone conversation this morning I checked my car and there is a small gap between the Ballast and the clam ( front wing ). Also if you look at this, the clam is much stronger than the semi-flexible wheel well liner which is a thin molded piece made from flexible nylon or ABS material. I cannot see how someone (or something) could have deformed the clam far enough to create spider webbing through the clam onto a relatively unsupported ballast. There are huge gaps around almost all sides
Something may have fallen / impacted this wing or someone may have sat on the wing, compressing the normal gap distance between the two items.
Anyway, I checked mine on both sides and there are no marks whatsoever under the clam, no contact at all and no dust or abrasions to even suggest it has come into contact with the clam ( wing ). I hope you get to the bottom of this with the dealer, and I am sorry you and your son must have been thrilled about picking up the car, only to let down with this event. Perhaps the dealer will step up to the plate and do the right thing. Perhaps you could suggest that you put their details on the board, and see if that smartens them up a bit. $500 is a small sum for all that bad publicity.
:huh:

Good Luck
Regards

Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts