The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just finished up retrofitting HIDs to my Main, High & Driving Lights (which are H3 bulbs) - plenty of information here on the board on the mains & high beams - not so much on the driving lights. I found just one thread from Dipan - anyway I thought I drop a couple of pointers for the next soul to switch the driving lights over.

It is more difficult then the Main/High Beams - First Off - the cap on the back of the driving lights does not lend itself to mounting the seal typically included in these HID kits (at least mine - DDM 35 Watt - 4500K) - my solution was to remove the cap completely and epoxy the seal included with the kit onto the driving light housing (Picture of the final product below).

Next - when it comes to mounting the bulb itself into the housing - the plastic base on the HID Bulb was thicker then the sheet metal base off the original bulb. To accomodate I had to sand down the plastic base portion which fits under the tab of the housing.

And Finally - as there is no wiring connector on the original H3 bulb - you'll have to cut off the ends and add new wire connections (one more failure point).

Also below is a picture of the ballast mounting locations - and the final product. I'll have to wait until the snow melts before she sees the road - but no doubt it is much brighter. The only disapointment being the color of the lights don't quite match? All three kits were 4500K - but the driving lights tend to be white - while the main/high beams have a definite blue tint to them? Not sure if the housing is throwing a tint to them - or if the manufacture mislabled them. I do like the slight blue tint - so maybe I'll try some 5K or 6K driving lights down the road - and hope for a better match. The other option would be a lense cover tinted blue.

Anyway hope this helps someone...

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No problem edaddy - drop a line if you run into problems.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I guess I don't see the need for HID driving lights. :shrug:

The Driving Lights are already pretty bright.
HID's take a bit of time to come onto full brightness.
High beams tend to be used intermittently, so they would be turned on and off often while driving.
The on/off cycles are not good on HIDs, and it also won't be operating at full brightness all the time because of the start up time.
The Driving Lights are already pretty bright.

The same goes for HID high beams...

You can always upgrade the regular high beam bulbs for brighter lights, and that combined with combined with the driving lights put out plenty of light.

HID low beams make sense, but not for high beams or driving lights. :shrug:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
First Off - Happy Birthday Tim!

Can't disagree with your assesment - mainly I did it for consistentcy between the three bulbs (I am a symetry freak). In fact I rarely use the highs or driving lights - to much traffic in these parts.

I wouldn't have consdered it a year ago - but some good HID deals can be had noawadays. So I jumped. That said - you should be out drinking tonight! :up:

·
Registered
624 Posts
Looks clean. I might have to do this if I end up installing driving lights onto my Elise. Great write up

·
Registered
440 Posts
Thanks for the write-up. I've search the forums and am now confused. Some say the Elise needs H1 bulbs for the low beams to work, others say H3...what size bulb is needed for the low beam?

I ask this because I am recommending an HID kit for my friend with an Elise from e-bay. I bought them from the seller from the link below and I am happy with mine on my Crossfire. I had 6500k before, which had poor lighting, and now I have 5000k, which is much better and there is no "bulb light out signal" anymore since I got this new kit. Does anyone have any opinions on if these would work fine with the Elise?

eBay Motors: H1 H3 H7 H8 H9 H10 H11 H13 HID CONVERSION KIT XENON (item 160233858981 end time May-01-08 13:32:25 PDT)

Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts