The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen the previous posts with hid installation done with Hella E-code lights. Those lights were not designed for HID bulbs. I used these for my install see photos. I had to switch the projectors inboard so they would fit in the buckets.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used BMW E30 projectors (euro H1 housings). They are available for $200 for all four smoked lights (dark smoked looks good on a black car) . I just purchased this 2003.5 FE car. I have to do the other side still and if you want i can post all the pics on the mods i did on the light housing assembly. once i figured out what needed to be trimmed on the lights it was easy (hand held grinder with a cutting disk to trim the plastic light housing (all cutting was done to the lights NO modification done to the car or the light adjuster assembly.) I purchased a slim ballast and it fits in between the two lights inside the light pod. I just fit them in and have not done the ballast install. All the other HID installs i saw on the board did not have real projectors and that is not good for other drivers on the road. I think that car look updated with these lights.
These smiley projector are being sold by a seller on ebay and are made in Germany. Excellent quality light with real glass and not plastic. I was worried about the quality when i purchased them but they turned out to be really nice quality.

I hope i answered all the questions.

lights $200.00 ebay
HID ballast and bulbs 32.99 Amazon
Total cost 233.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
YES! A DIY write up with pictures would be AWESOME! and link to where you purchased the parts, etc.

·
98 Esprit V8 Calypso Red
310 Posts
The projector housing is great, but how about the low beams on the outside? Those are H4's. Were you able to find projectors for the H4's as well?

Alan

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The projector is for the low beams. I had to switch the low beams to
The inner slots. The highs beams H4 are the outers now. The inner have 3/4 inch more room for the install. No room on the outer pod to install projectors,
Atleast not these bmw e-30 lights. I was not sure if they would fit even on the inners but after spending some time and trimming they worked.
I am sure if someone was to mix and match or shorten the projectors as i have
seen on the acura boards that will work also. This is a easier install without cutting up the car. This mod reversable and inexpensive.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Thanks! More pics and link to where you bought would be most helpful!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Link to the seller on ebay

They are available from many but this is
a good quality product from germany.
I will do the other side next week and post
pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
519 Posts
Thanks for the info just ordered a set. Now it will match my fog lights

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
This just came to mind a couple weeks ago too for me. Glad to see you did it first and with success. Is there no way to make it work?

I was going to use Ion Crystal bulbs from PIAA. Like the Le Mans look when all are lit up amber. Replaced the fogs and like it. :D

Thanks for the thread!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
G8 what bulbs are you using in your fog lamps?

When i got the lights it looked like there was not enough
room but if you take your time and trim all
the plastic carefully and cut out and shave the back metal
housing they will clear. Took me four hours
to make them fit. The other side should take less
then two hours to fit. It is very tight. I will try to post some
Pics and a quick dyi next week. If you have any questions PM me.

Attachments

·
Registered
519 Posts
Im using 6000k philips hid kit found them on Ebay for about 150 Im happy with them. I will get the same for the headlights when they come in.

G8 what bulbs are you using in your fog lamps?

When i got the lights it looked like there was not enough
room but if you take your time and trim all
the plastic carefully and cut out and shave the back metal
housing they will clear. Took me four hours
to make them fit. The other side should take less
then two hours to fit. It is very tight. I will try to post some
Pics and a quick dyi next week. If you have any questions PM me.

·
Registered
136 Posts
G8, did you have to modify anything to get the fog lights done? Do other drivers flash at you indicating they are too bright or aimed too high?

Thanks

·
Registered
519 Posts
G8, did you have to modify anything to get the fog lights done? Do other drivers flash at you indicating they are too bright or aimed too high?

Thanks
Just had to drill a small hole in back of the fog light cover for the wires. never get flashed by other drivers.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was in the UK and visited the lotus retail store. They had a F1 car hanging from the roof . Nice!!! Store but expensive.

Attachments

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,092 Posts
Anybody else notice the Lotus-Logo-Shaped "hanger" for the F1 car?

:cool:

·
Registered Insane
290 Posts
Nice DIY. I've installed aftermarket HID's in other cars, and the kit's always cost me more than $250.

Be careful with those cheap ballasts. What is the watt for them? 35 or 55? Did you install a relay? You can do damage to the electrical system if you use the wrong ballast.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts