The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
2006 Lotus Elise
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm a newb and was wondering if anyone has replaced their OE headlights with HIDs. Are there any particular manufacturers that make a plug and play? And does anyone suggest one over another? I'm looking for 5000k, thanks in advance for any advice!

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
google - Lotus Talk: HID headlights

·
2006 Lotus Elise
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
54 Posts
Holy crap that's cheap! I might swoop those up...haha. Thanks MadMan! Although it seems like the kit tends to have issues after a short span of time passes. How long have you had yours and any problems so far?
Recent; so don't have history to tell yet. However, for the price, the kit(s) are well made. Considering the low $$ of replacement bulbs make this a no-brainer.

Also, IMHO, with respect to the minimal miles I drive my Elise, especially at night, I installed HID on both Main AND Dip. It's more of a PITA up-front, but the ability to turn night into 'daylight' is worth the extra effort. :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
(Almost) reminds me of when I installed aircraft landing lights for high-beams on a '69 'stang in HS. Of course, at 250W/ea, they were more like blowtorches! (bugs melted right off!) :D

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I ordered a set of DDM's around Christmas, be prepared for a long drop ship from China!

·
shay2nak
25,171 Posts
is 55W too bright? I have 35 for the Exige but want to get a kit for my new DD. Thinking of going to 55 for that. What do BMW, Merc, Audi use for their OEM HIDs? I'm guessing 35W?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I think 55 isnt too bright. The projection cut off + low car height really makes 55w fine (at least for me and my mostly rural/suburban driving)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Wow you guys are all running 55w?

I bought the 35w out of courtesy to my fellow drivers, 55w just seems like high beam all day every day :p (I drive with my head lights on in the day)

Anyway, back on topic: +1 for DDM too, it was the first thing I did when I knew next to nothing about my Elise. Easy peasy and I found out the last owner torqued my wheels on like a mofo

1 - 20 of 40 Posts