The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done this, or is this overkill? Personally, I just use 35w low beams, but I got an email from DDM today and it clicked the "Hmmm I wonder" button.

55w highbeams?

*Disclaimer* I rarely use my highbeams and when I do, they are more than sufficient... but here in Texas they have an 85mph highway :) A highway that had several accidents just 24 hours after being opened. Basically the story as I heard it, people are simply over driving their headlights and hitting animals.

So that got me thinking, just how irresponsible can I be if I have the blinding power of the sun in my headlights? Just kidding guys, I live way too far from that highway. And you couldn't use highbeams there anyway!

I'm just really anal and having two different light types bothers me, so I was wondering if anyone else has done a highbeam swap? Any complications?

·
Registered
268 Posts
The problem is that the hid headlights take a few second to get to full brightness. The only time this will cause a problem is if you want to flash the high beams. I have been toying with the idea of swapping out the projectors with some higher quality ones that have a high beam switch. I used these for a projector swap in my daily driver and they are considerably better than what is found on the lotus.
HID Projectors from The Retrofit Source Inc

·
Such Administrating
6,860 Posts
Personally I don't see the need for it because other people will rarely see your high beams. Besides, the high beams don't have projectors, so the bowls weren't made for xenons. Not saying the projectors are, but they don't blind people like the bowls can.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah good point Jeff, that delay would kill 90% of their usage.

As a sidenote, something I should have realized from the start; HIDs are generally rated in number of on/off cycles (with quick on off cycles being the absolute worst for them... doh).

Guess I'm stuck with this *barely* noticeable twitch

1 - 4 of 4 Posts