The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the process of swapping LED parking lights, I noticed that the double sided tape that was holding the ballasts to the crash structure have failed to do their job. The tape is still attached to the ballast, but not to the crash structure. This has happened on both sides, even though I was careful to clean the area of the crash structure that the tape was applied to.

I noticed one side a few weeks ago... I replaced the double sided tape with industrial velcro (fuzzy side on the crash structure) and that has not budged. I just replaced the other side today.

For those of you who've done the HID install using double sided tape to mount the ballast, it might be worth looking to see if your ballast isn't hanging by the wires... mine was -eek-

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Last year I bought ekological's kit which includes ballasts mounted with an actual bracket. I heard that double sided tape no matter how good eventually gives out.
Heres a pic of the brackets supplied - and in case your wondering the ballast is actually a 50w unit, not 35w as its incorrectly labeled. Hmmm maybe ekological sells extra brackets and fasteners? Then again it needs to fit your particular ballast unit.

Here is the bracket used to hold my HID ballasts:

on the ballast:

side shot of fastener:

and installed. Its not going anywhere. You are required to drill 2 small holes into the crash structure, it was very small.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Hey that's the same place I installed mine. And I called it the crash structure as well. But looking now at your picture I realize it's just the air duct, not the actual crash structure proper.

xtn

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Hey that's the same place I installed mine. And I called it the crash structure as well. But looking now at your picture I realize it's just the air duct, not the actual crash structure proper.

xtn
True, its not really the crash structure. Close to it.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Goelise, I also went with Eko's kit. Fantastic stuff, quality work, and the brackets fit exactly where he said they would. Very quick plug and play and zero hassles since. :) These things should have been on the car from the factory; the stock headlights are a catastrophe waiting to happen on back roads at night!

·
shay2nak
24,978 Posts
i'll check mine, but mine after about 9 months have held up. Sector111 kit...I'm thinking it's some sort of 3M tape...can't be sure...anyone know? I want to use the same tape for the daBears HIDs.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I'll have to check my roll of tape when I get home tonight, but I remember standing there at Lowes checking out their offerings of tape. There were a couple different kinds of that 3M awesomeness tape. Only one of them said it was for outdoor use.

xtn

·
Registered
815 Posts
I would never use double-sided tape to hold anything together that I actually wanted to STAY together for a reasonable amount of time.

Screws for me (in my Maagjr kit) :up:

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i'll check mine, but mine after about 9 months have held up. Sector111 kit...I'm thinking it's some sort of 3M tape...can't be sure...anyone know? I want to use the same tape for the daBears HIDs.
My kit was a Sector111 kit also... I was suspicious of the tape but used it anyway :wallbang:

I would never use double-sided tape to hold anything together that I actually wanted to STAY together for a reasonable amount of time.

Screws for me (in my Maagjr kit) :up:
Yup, I'd have to agree. On the other hand, the high-mounted taillight on my 993 Turbo was attached with double-sided tape by the factory :huh: It lasted 10 years, after which I replaced it with new industrial strength outdoor stuff.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I have Eko's kit on mine with the brackets. Since I new I would be tracking mine, I installed a hose clamp around the bracket to secure the ballast to make sure it couldn't come out. One of my brackets fit the ballast very loosely so that was my main reason. I also used Welnuts instead of those little plastic screw thngs. I have already destroyed a wheel well liner with those little plastic screws under braking at the track so I put Welnuts all around.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
You know, I have a rattle that was new after the HID install. I also have some industrial strength Velcro here... Look like I'm going to go out to the garage and play with my car.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I also have HIDs I still need to install... Industrial strength Velcro: where can you buy that??
One more (stupid) questions: the glue the back side (non-velcro side) of the velcro to the crash structure, right?

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
I'll have to check my roll of tape when I get home tonight, but I remember standing there at Lowes checking out their offerings of tape. There were a couple different kinds of that 3M awesomeness tape. Only one of them said it was for outdoor use.

xtn
Probably this stuff - it looks & feels identical to what bodyshops use as 3M trim tape. I have a hard time seeing this stuff fail considering how many cars are out there with trim tape holding bits of trim on.

Photos ruthlessly snagged from a buddy's site... who told me about the stuff.
:)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I also have HIDs I still need to install... Industrial strength Velcro: where can you buy that??
One more (stupid) questions: the glue the back side (non-velcro side) of the velcro to the crash structure, right?
is this something we can do together if you want? i have that weekend set up in april, if you dont want to wait we could meet sooner to do it?

rob

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Probably this stuff - it looks & feels identical to what bodyshops use as 3M trim tape. I have a hard time seeing this stuff fail considering how many cars are out there with trim tape holding bits of trim on.

Photos ruthlessly snagged from a buddy's site... who told me about the stuff.
:)
SUPER Heavy Duty...

but does it go to ELEVEN?

·
Registered
740 Posts
is this something we can do together if you want? i have that weekend set up in april, if you dont want to wait we could meet sooner to do it?

rob
I'm planning to install the HIDs on your weekend in April, that'll work for me;
I understand that Bav.Mot. also plans to install HIDs in that weekend, so it looks like we can use some of that tape in the post above.
I looked at the Lowes website: no Lowes nearby my house but I can pick it up when I drive to you in April or maybe in a Lowes nearby your house.
Enrico

1 - 20 of 31 Posts