The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who here would be interested in doing a group buy on a HID kit? I have read of some folks that did a group buy from Xenon Factory and were very pleased with the quality of the kits. Apparently their kits use Philips ballast and bulbs and work quite well. I was thinking about getting the 4100k kit. The Liz uses H1 for the low-beams.

I considered doing the kit on Elise-Shops , however they are more costly and do not mention anywhere what brand components they use so I am wary.

Let me know if your interested, we should be able to get a nice discount.

·
Registered
2005 elise touring ardent red
612 Posts
hid

what pricing? how many people needed?
etc

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm waiting for details. The regular price is $450, if memory serves, I think the other forum people were getting them for $390. I wouldn't mind finding out a bit more about the Elise shops kit too. I will see if I can contact them to get details and info on a group buy. One thing I know for sure, the standard headlights are lacking. From everything I have read the HID kit is the best solution to the problem.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
How much does it weigh? No I am not kidding...

Is it hard to install?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Sounds like an excellent idea, especially since it looks like Lotus has abandoned the HID option.

However, before doing a big 'ol group buy, I'd want to hear about at least one successful installation of this exact kit in a Fed Elise. Call me pessemistic, but hey...

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Ground Loop said:
Sounds like an excellent idea, especially since it looks like Lotus has abandoned the HID option.
Lotus never had an HID option. The option was for brighter bulbs...

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ground Loop said:

However, before doing a big 'ol group buy, I'd want to hear about at least one successful installation of this exact kit in a Fed Elise. Call me pessemistic, but hey...
Here is a review of the Elise-Shops kit.

I have not seen a review of the Xenon Factory kit when installed in the Elise. I have seen a review of it installed in some other cars and the buyers seemed very happy.
I left a message with Xenon Factory but have not yet gotton a reply. I also emailed Elise-Shops. Their reply is below:

Thanks very much for your request.

For legal reasons, we are only delivering HID conversion kits for show use. By buying a kit, you agree to let a professional mechanic, who's able to deal with these high voltage units, do the installation.

Using these lamps on public roads might be illegal (depending on local laws)

The kit we're currently doing contains of Hella ballasts. I'm not completely sure about the bulbs, I think they are also Hella. (6000K)

Pricing for the kit is 525 Euro
Shipping to the US would be 27 Euro.

As you are outside Europe, we do not charge any additional taxes.

At this moment, we only have two kits left, any bigger number means a leadtime of approx. three weeks. If you order five kits at the same time, we'd be prepared to skip the shipping cost.

I hope this helps?

Best regards,

Yvo Tuk

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TimMullen said:
Lotus never had an HID option. The option was for brighter bulbs...
You are correct. However I could not perceive any difference in brightness gained by fitting the "brighter bulb" :rolleyes:

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
Yvo is right they are illegal in the US. You can retrofit a car that comes with HID as an option but not one that did not. That said I believe Yvo's kit gets good reviews from those who have installed it.

Derek, any problems with passing PA vehicle inspection? Do they check aftermarket items for legality? :confused:

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
shinoo said:

Derek, any problems with passing PA vehicle inspection? Do they check aftermarket items for legality? :confused:
Good question... I hope not, but I'm really not sure

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
shinoo said:
You could always show them them Headlight Exemption sticker that is on the car. They probably would see it and let you pass, since they arent going to read or have access to the exact Federal Regulation that pertains to it.

I have 90/130 H-4 watt bulbs in my 89 Ford Probe and Hella headlights that are DOT approved. When I went thru inspection in NJ, they said they were too bright, but then they looked at the lens and saw that they were USA approved, so they let me pass. They never bothered to check and see that the bulbs were illegal.

In some states, gas stations can do the inspections on the car instead of going to a state inspection place. Right after I moved to FL, my NJ registration came up (I still had a house in NJ and it was cheaper to insure my car there instead of in FL) and I had no intention of doing a 3000 mile round trip up there and back just to get the car inspected, so I just paid a friend of mine who owned a gas station in NJ the fee, and he mailed me the sticker.

Florida doesnt have inspections. I sort of wich they would, since some of the cars on the road around here look like they are held together with duct tape and bungee cords.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
shinoo said:
Yvo is right they are illegal in the US. You can retrofit a car that comes with HID as an option but not one that did not. That said I believe Yvo's kit gets good reviews from those who have installed it.

I couldn't find anything in their rejection critiria that would cause the car to fail state inspection if I did the HID upgrade.

PA State Inspection Rejection Criteria

Main Site

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I'm a bit worried about messing with ANYTHING electrical in a british car. Otherwise, I would like to be a part of a HID group buy.

Are my fears grounded? Get it? Grounded? :p

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Genjuro said:
I'm a bit worried about messing with ANYTHING electrical in a british car. Otherwise, I would like to be a part of a HID group buy.

Are my fears grounded? Get it? Grounded? :p
I spoke to the Xenon Factory guy. He said $400 for the group buy. He said his kit comes with a three year warranty. I also saw a McCulloch kit on EBay. It seems to be OK also. I read one review and they said they were pleased with it. The Xenon Factory guy said the EBay kit did not come with a relay harness so it was no good. But then when I explained that the battery and engine on the Liz are in the rear and directly connecting the relay harness to the battery would not be easy he said I wouldn't need it anyway.

Does anyone know why I would or wouldn't want the kit to come with a relay harness or if it makes any difference? If it makes no difference I might lean towards the McCulloch Kit as it is less $$$.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
as a certified inspector in texas we dont check if your headlights are too bright or too dimm, as long as they work and dont have condensation in them if HID if halogen its okay to have condensation..

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Derek said:
I couldn't find anything in their rejection critiria that would cause the car to fail state inspection if I did the HID upgrade.

PA State Inspection Rejection Criteria

Main Site
I don't think they check it for anything other than a burnt out bulb.

One word of advice: PA changed the way inspections run in the last 6 months. The shop that performs the inspection can get fined now if there is something out of line. This is making some inspection stations much more strict on the codes. Any chance of some thing not being right and they will fail you. If you get it inspected at Ascot I doubt you will have an issue but if you have it done elsewhere you might.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Condensation is okay for Halogen but not HID? Well our headlight covers definitely can get condensation / fog on their insides....

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Stan said:
Condensation is okay for Halogen but not HID? Well our headlight covers definitely can get condensation / fog on their insides....
yeah its okay if its a halogen bulb. Its b/c HID bulbs are very hot and will shatter or explode if water touches it.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts