The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
There are people in the rainy UK that have successfully done HID conversions and seem to have managed ok, despite the inherent moisture/condensation issues.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
:D looks like a good idea to me,and cheaper than elise.com's prices.also it seems to be well sorted.there don't seem to be any negative comments on SELOC .I'll get some when I get my car :clap:

·
Registered
653 Posts
is this a dead issue or not? i am interested in getting in on a group purchase if it goes through.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
reganfin said:
is this a dead issue or not? i am interested in getting in on a group purchase if it goes through.
lets do it ,anybody?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Allright... if you guys can wait a couple of weeks, I think I can make the waiting worth while :D:D

I am testing products of a new supplier at this moment. Some things which I've seen from them are very good (they've got a H1 conversion kit which is a lot cheaper then what we've seen so far), but there's also some developments going on which I would like to see finished before offering the kits in a bulkdeal.

The bulk deal has already been announced on Seloc, but not here, so here you go.. it's going to happen, but I am not able to tell you exactly when it's going to happen due to the above mentioned developments.

On thing they are doing, which is very interesting IMHO is the developement of a twin kit for the price of 1 1/2 standard kit. The trick is that you will get a separate H1 and H7 bulb for dipped and main beam, but you will only get one ballast with a special switch unit (all from the same factory, no tricky stuff with putting together kits or so). What will happen is that when you normally drive, you will have the normal lo-beam, but if you switch to main beam, lo-beam will be switched off, but main beam will be HID as well :D

So .. again.. if you can give me a couple of weeks, I think I can offer you guys a deal you can't resist ;)

·
Registered
764 Posts
I'm very curious here.

Don't HID lights take a bit of time to come up to full go?

I understand that their input power certainly has to be carefully managed; a spike to strike the arc, modestly high power to warm it all up and stabilize it, and then low power to hold it steady.

The thought of coming off the high beams and not getting instant on lows is terrifying.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I'll be ordering mine as well :D

·
Registered
970 Posts
I hope you guys are not paying more than 475.00 US or better buys can be had w/out sacrificing quality.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
mact3333 said:
I hope you guys are not paying more than 475.00 US or better buys can be had w/out sacrificing quality.
250 EuroTrash;)

·
Registered
970 Posts
Patricko said:
250 EuroTrash;)
ok price, not much different than you can get here for typical 4100-4300K kit...I hope your bulbs are not coated blue...you did get D2S capsules in H1 right?...I said 475.00 cause that is what I paid for a true Philips ultinon 6000K kit hence I am assuming you didnt get true 6000K bulbs otherwise that would be a really good deal you guys got.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Patricko said:
250 EuroTrash;)

what did he say about shipping to the usa?? also, how did you pay and when do you expect your new lights?

Did I mentin I am interested? If I can get the single kit for the same price shipped to my door, I am interested..

Adam P

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Adam P said:
what did he say about shipping to the usa?? also, how did you pay and when do you expect your new lights?

Did I mentin I am interested? If I can get the single kit for the same price shipped to my door, I am interested..

Adam P
Click here for the details

http://forums.seloc.org/viewthread.php?tid=36847

·
Registered
55 Posts
Gents, shipping to the US is 27 USD for a kit. If you combine more kits in one shipment, it'll probably be cheaper to ship them to the US.

Leadtime will roughly be second half of januari; reason being that we are waiting untill the 1st of Jan before placing the bulk order.

Re. the ballast and lamp:
The lamp is an H1 fitment. It fit's straight into the existing headlamp unit without modifying any wires.
The ballast and starter unit are kept outside the actual lampunit, wires need to be fed into the unit. Also, no stuctural changes apart from cutting one rubber.

As for the quality of the product; we are giving a 12 month full warranty.
If something goes wrong, the defective parts will be exchanged.

I can start a longlasting rant on the absolute BS story's about the need to have a Philips or Hella ballast.

I know as a fact that Hella units are made in China. Does that make them bad?
It's all down to the design which isn't rocket science.. :no:
Also; have you ever tried to find out how many products you've got in your house which are produced in the Far East? Right... LOADS of them! (and there's quite a few where you wouldn't even expect it.)

I am very familiar with the semiconductor market. I know for a fact that the US market has completely collapsed as did the European market (less), all in favour of the Far East market. EVERY big company either has production facilities in Far East or is subcontracting outthere.

I myself have seen several 'shows of knowledge' from Taiwanese and Chinese companies. RESPECT! is the right word here..

One example:
Taiwanese company designs a set-top box for sat-rx including conditional access etc.
Big US based semiconductor company gives them the fly when being confronted with exceptionally low market prices for the MPEG decoder device.
Taiwanese company get's mad about this. CEO walks away from meeting and says "I wish you a happy life" to the sales manager from the semiconductor vendor.

THREE WEEKS (!!!!) later, the same company hands over a FUNCTIONAL new design for the above mention application. Not debugged ofcourse, but it runs!! I've never seen a single Euro based company pulling off something like that..

As for the HID kits, I can assure you that the company we're working with is very cooperative.
They have actually changed the design of the H4 kits (for the Elise S1) because we made some comments about the legallity of the kit (glare problems). I've sent them pictures from the Hella test equipment, glare figures and some suggestions. DHL was delivering a parcel with new samples within 2 weeks..

·
Registered
970 Posts
YvoTuk said:
Gents, shipping to the US is 27 USD for a kit. If you combine more kits in one shipment, it'll probably be cheaper to ship them to the US.

Leadtime will roughly be second half of januari; reason being that we are waiting untill the 1st of Jan before placing the bulk order.

Re. the ballast and lamp:
The lamp is an H1 fitment. It fit's straight into the existing headlamp unit without modifying any wires.
The ballast and starter unit are kept outside the actual lampunit, wires need to be fed into the unit. Also, no stuctural changes apart from cutting one rubber.

As for the quality of the product; we are giving a 12 month full warranty.
If something goes wrong, the defective parts will be exchanged.

I can start a longlasting rant on the absolute BS story's about the need to have a Philips or Hella ballast.

I know as a fact that Hella units are made in China. Does that make them bad?
It's all down to the design which isn't rocket science.. :no:
Also; have you ever tried to find out how many products you've got in your house which are produced in the Far East? Right... LOADS of them! (and there's quite a few where you wouldn't even expect it.)

I am very familiar with the semiconductor market. I know for a fact that the US market has completely collapsed as did the European market (less), all in favour of the Far East market. EVERY big company either has production facilities in Far East or is subcontracting outthere.

I myself have seen several 'shows of knowledge' from Taiwanese and Chinese companies. RESPECT! is the right word here..

One example:
Taiwanese company designs a set-top box for sat-rx including conditional access etc.
Big US based semiconductor company gives them the fly when being confronted with exceptionally low market prices for the MPEG decoder device.
Taiwanese company get's mad about this. CEO walks away from meeting and says "I wish you a happy life" to the sales manager from the semiconductor vendor.

THREE WEEKS (!!!!) later, the same company hands over a FUNCTIONAL new design for the above mention application. Not debugged ofcourse, but it runs!! I've never seen a single Euro based company pulling off something like that..

As for the HID kits, I can assure you that the company we're working with is very cooperative.
They have actually changed the design of the H4 kits (for the Elise S1) because we made some comments about the legallity of the kit (glare problems). I've sent them pictures from the Hella test equipment, glare figures and some suggestions. DHL was delivering a parcel with new samples within 2 weeks..

OK...fair enough, the ballast is probably the easiest to "get right" and the least important aspect of the kit(assuming it works properly) but what about the bulbs???...are they coated blue?...what is the color scale rating?...are they either Philips or Osram???...Osram makes either 4300K or 5400K only...Philips makes 4300K and 6000K bulbs only....while my personal opinion, I would only buy bulbs made by Philips or Osram...if your bulbs are equivalent to Philips or Osrams and you guarantee them, then I think everyone should just buy from you but if they are coated blue, then personally I wouldnt touch them myself.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The bulbs are certainly not coated blue :no: wouldn't want to touch those either..

They are 6000K.

As for the producer, I'm not going to say they are Philips, Osram, of Ho Funk(y)Kit of China as I simply cannot guarantee the brand.

There is no aftermarket supplier in this world who can prove the source of the bulbs. Problem is.. there is no logo, no text no nothing on the glass, so you simply can't tell.

As I don't like to tell lies, I won't tell you funny stories about the source of the fillaments.

BUT....

:wave:

You will get a 12 month full warranty. If.. anything from these kits brakes down (either ballast, ignitor or lamp). We will replace it. Don't worry!

Plus.. We will stock the lamps. So if something would break down after 12 months, we will be able to replace the defective part. We currently have not got the bulb pricing yet, but I can assure you they will be way below 100 Euro's each (My guess would be around 50 Euro each, but that's only guessing!)

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Soo... where are we on this?

YvoTuk said:
Bumping an older thread.. is this still on-track?

Just to be clear on this.. it's plug-and-play? No wire cutting, no soldering, no searching for hard-to-find harnesses and connectors, no wires-too-short-and-don't-quite-reach.

Most importantly -- a kit tested with at least one successful install on a Federal car?

I figure if I'm going to swap out bulbs, the extra work to go HID is worth the better brightness. At this point, I honestly don't care if they're "legal" or not -- my car, as delivered, is unsafe to drive at night. I understand the issues with HID scatter from mismatched reflectors, and so long as it's not majorly offensive, I'm okay with a small difference. I need light!

So long as the balast and bulbs work, have a good color temperature and no hokey purple coatings or rice sparkle, then I'm okay with it. Strange that the specific brand or make of the bulb would be a mystery even to the kit manufacturer, but whatever.

Is this a go? Can we see install pictures?

I'll start by reaiming/adjusting my stock lights, but I have a strong feeling it's still going to be too little.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts