The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking for an HID kit that is proven reliable and easy to install without modification. I've read the stickied thread about the HID kit but it was posted in 2005.

What is the most popular brand that most of you are running? TIA

p.s. it's for 2008 s240

·
Registered
419 Posts
becareful. I got that kit, and one light stopped working. The ballast went bad. I sent it back and supposedly got a new one, but it didnt work either.

I just went back to stock.

·
Registered
301 Posts
i got the superslim haven't had any problems had it on the car for a year, my mechanic installed it, it was plug and play no splicing. i saw him do the install it took him 1 hour. it looked like a simple install. the warrant is lifetime that is i went i got this kit.

·
Registered
907 Posts
The Dabears2k is plug and play but you have to cut off a rubber grommet from their kit and I assume all other kits too as you don't need it.

The wire clips to hold the bulb in don't really work so I clipped mine the best I could and tie-wraped the clips together to make them hold.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I have the HID kit from Sector 111, plug-N-play. I have not had any problems, install was easy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the HID kit from Sector 111, plug-N-play. I have not had any problems, install was easy.
Where can I find out more about this HID kit. I can't seem to find it on Sector111's website. How much was the kit? TIA

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
I bought a kit from a contributing member here- Ekological (Dabears is a product shiller and not a contributing member- and you can get the kit he ripped off from someone else here direct at DDM tuning anyway)

I've had Ekologicals kit for 3 years now, and my car has 50K miles so I actually drive it. Works as good as new, and he has provided great service answering questions of mine on other applications.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Where can I find out more about this HID kit. I can't seem to find it on Sector111's website. How much was the kit? TIA
Their kit was a DDM one too and they were selling it for close to $400 I think. I paid about 130 for mine through Dabears2K but DDM are selling the same kit for $65

DDM 35W & 55W Slim Ballast HID Kit: DDM Tuning - HID Kits, HID Bulbs, DEPO Lighting, BMW and Porsche Performance Accessories

I think the difference Ekological's kit makes is that he built a custom harness to install inline to the Lotus' one. Edit -- Here's the link with the info: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/505833-post55.html

With the DDM kit, you have to run the power from the old H1 bulb power connectors inside the headlight housing out to the ballast.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Ekological's kit required ZERO cutting of anything. Truly plug and play. Worked great for as long as I owned the car.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Thanks guys for the feedback. If you're near NJ, I can even do the install. I can't compete on pricing alone because I do this just for fun and as a service to the community and have a regular full time job.

·
Registered
751 Posts
And apparently Ekological's kit is lifetime warranty. I just learned that recently after a bulb went bad (Had the kit for a couple of years already. ..maybe 3). Replacements were quick, and worked great. Thanks again! :up:

-Whit

·
Registered
907 Posts
Thanks guys for the feedback. If you're near NJ, I can even do the install. I can't compete on pricing alone because I do this just for fun and as a service to the community and have a regular full time job.
Is there any chance you can make a power harness for the DDM kit?

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I forgot to mention, my kits do have a full lifetime warranty. Also, no other kit comes with the harnesses that I hand assemble. Period. Some on this forum will say, "so what? Just some electrical tape is all you need..." Blah, blah, blah. Whatever floats your boat. On my car, I wouldn't do it without a harness if one was possible.

Buzzy: I can, but it opens a whole can of worms if something breaks and it's also not in my best interest for someone to piece meal a kit together. Let's just say that if I were to sell the harnesses separately, the cost of them + the cost of the cheaper kit would be what you'd pay if you bought the kit from me in the first place. Sorry.

As for customer service, I don't have tons of inventory (mostly because of said cheap kits flooding the market) to turn things around as fast as I wish, but I try to do the best possible. There was even a member on this forum who lives somewhat nearby. He said one of the ballasts went bad and asked if he could swing by to pick up a replacement. He came by and got the ballast and then called me in a few hours to say that it wasn't the ballast. So he drove his car over this time and I did the replacement myself. Free of charge. Admittedly, it's not cost effective to even do an install let alone a replacement for free if you consider the time involved and my normal professional billing rate with my regular occupation, but I do it for fun.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Is there any chance you can make a power harness for the DDM kit?
Why polish a turd? If you want his kit just get his kit. If you want to "save" a couple bucks, then get one of the other kits.

·
Registered
145 Posts
+1 :up: for Ekological's kit! I've had it for years, with zero issues.

His kit provides excellent light - Plug and play FTW.

MikeVR4

1 - 20 of 30 Posts