The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am picking up my car in a week and I just got rid of an 05 S2000. Now the lighting on that car was just amazing. It had hid on both the high and low beam lights and the low beams would be a wide and low beam and the high was a more pointed long distance light. Now the great thing is that when you hit high beam the low also stayed on so it was super bright. It was like driving during the day and when I go back to a regular car now it just does not cut it.

Now I am going to go HID, but should I go with low or high beam or both? IS it common to both the low and high beam in HID? And if I do both does the Elise have the low and high come on at the same time?

Thanks
Troy

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Low only and get them properly aligned. The highs will take too long to energize. Cars with bi-xenon headlights actually alter the cutoff, not activate a second set of lights. If anything, get your highs upgraded to some of the 55W Osrams and you'll be fine. That's the setup I had.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have HIDs on both Low & High, I don't use my high beams to "flash", it's however more used as an aux light when I require the extra lighting. If you don't flash your lights, the Low & High may be an option for you.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I guess on the Honda then the low beam was HID, I know that took a bit of time to heat up and the high beam went on right away so I now assume that was a regular light. Is that correct. I know they both still stayed on.

Does the lotus have the low beam stay on all the time when the lights are on and the high beam added to that? If that is the case then I would think the low beam as HID and the high beam as regular. Is there a specific regular high beam light that woudl be ideal then. I am thinking about the 55W HID kit with 6000K range that is plug and play. I can not find the site and where to get it, any recomendations on this?

I think I might want to make the low beam HID only if it stays on all the time and the high regular as I drive on back roads a lot to my house and we have to turn the high beam on and off a lot.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
No the high bulbs are only on when you turn brights on. They don't stay on.

If you want a really powerful low beam, 55w 5000k might be ideal. 5000k is brighter than the blue tinted 6000k. If my car was drive often, I would have gotten 5000k

Whatever you do, the stock alignment sucks (see pict), make sure you align them right (on my long to do list...still...)

My car on the right with 35w 6000k. Car on left is mazdaspeed3 with 4300k [I think]

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the high beams only come on when I turn on the high beams and that makes sense for sure, but do the low beams stay on all the time when the lights are on? So if in low beam mode we have low beam only and in high beam mode we have low beam + high beam?

·
Premium Member
11,891 Posts
So the high beams only come on when I turn on the high beams and that makes sense for sure, but do the low beams stay on all the time when the lights are on? So if in low beam mode we have low beam only and in high beam mode we have low beam + high beam?
Ok: Have you really owned another car before? rotfl What do you expect when you turn the lights on? Nothing? (j/k)

Later cars have DRLs.

Ice was right: Upgrade the highs, but use HIDs only for lows. I adjusted mine so the left HID is as high as possible w/o bothering oncomings. My rh HID is adjusted way up on extreme right so as to see deer/animals about to cross the road. One has less time when animals come from the right.

Get the whitest light: the point isn't to look cool, it's to see.

OK?

·
Registered
466 Posts
The lights on the Exige work exactly like the lights on the S2000. I own both these cars.

I bought my HIDs from Sector111, depending on your year, the earlier models use a H1 application, while the current models FY07 onwards use a H7 application instead. The K rating is 6000K.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, thanks for all the help everyone. Here is what I came up with
Lowbeams- 55W HID 5K kit from Dabears2K
Driving lights- LED kit from Dabears2K
Highbeams- Osram Silverstars -

Does this sound like a good setup?

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Yeah, both light up when high beam mode

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Low only and get them properly aligned. The highs will take too long to energize. Cars with bi-xenon headlights actually alter the cutoff, not activate a second set of lights. If anything, get your highs upgraded to some of the 55W Osrams and you'll be fine. That's the setup I had.
Yep, What he said. Additionally, get the Lotus Driving Light kit and install it. It's not difficult. It will add very bright long range high beam lights that only function with the high beams (then are not "fog lights").

Does the lotus have the low beam stay on all the time when the lights are on and the high beam added to that?
Yes, the low beams lights are powered (when ever you have the lights on) - they stay lit when you turn on the high beam lights.

On '06 and newer cars, the low beams are on when ever you turn on the ignition - it's how they implemented the DRLs. Most people that add HID low beams, disable the DRLs (search for "green wire mod"). The problem with the DRLs is that they power on with the ignition, then drop off when you crank the starter, and then power them back on. Rapid switching on/off of HIDs is supposed to be very bad on the life of HIDs.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Additionally, get the Lotus Driving Light kit and install it. It's not difficult. It will add very bright long range high beam lights that only function with the high beams (then are not "fog lights").
+1

The Driving Lights solve a lot of the lighting issues with this car. I highly recommend them. Plus they look good. :nanner2:

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
485 Posts
I am installing both hi and low 5000k 55w bulbs this weekend. I think it looks better when both the bulbs are HID's.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I have the lower temp (yellower ones in the low beam, or dip beam), so as not to attract undue attention.

I, the high beam (aka main beam) I put the bluer ones in, as well as in the driving lights.
They take a while to light up initially, but if they are only off for a minute or so, then they turn right back on at full intensity.

I would put in which ones you use most.

I have them in the main, dip and driving lights - as I use them all and want to see the animals I am going to hit.

If you are mostly using them to flas then I wouldn't get the HIDs.

·
Premium Member
11,891 Posts
1. IIRC, HIDs don't like being flashed; it shortens their lives

2. As said, the point is to see, not look cool: get the whitest light, no blue

3. Who cares what it looks like? Do we spend a lot of time looking at the fronts of our cars with the headlights on?

4. Function over form for most of us, esp when it comes to safety.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
1. IIRC, HIDs don't like being flashed; it shortens their lives

2. As said, the point is to see, not look cool: get the whitest light, no blue

3. Who cares what it looks like? Do we spend a lot of time looking at the fronts of our cars with the headlights on?

4. Function over form for most of us, esp when it comes to safety.
Yep, what he said!

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
i dont feel like reading the whole thread so...

just make sure that you get a good HID kit. Theres a lot of cheap HID kits out but they will only last you about 3-4 months if your lucky. Might as well spend some money the first time and get a good kit. if you want to SEE and not have any color then go with 5k or 6k...but if you want some color to your lights then get the 30k (might be illegal where you live) they are really blue and really bright.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I am picking up my car in a week and I just got rid of an 05 S2000. Now the lighting on that car was just amazing. It had hid on both the high and low beam lights and the low beams would be a wide and low beam and the high was a more pointed long distance light. Now the great thing is that when you hit high beam the low also stayed on so it was super bright. It was like driving during the day and when I go back to a regular car now it just does not cut it.

Now I am going to go HID, but should I go with low or high beam or both? IS it common to both the low and high beam in HID? And if I do both does the Elise have the low and high come on at the same time?

Thanks
Troy
No it didn't, no US Honda S2000's any year had Xenon HID high beams. I have a 00 and my dad has an 06 they all have regular halogen high beams.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
when you install your Low beam HIDs. might be a good idea to raise the projectors a little. Made a big difference on my car. Maybe went a little too high, but easy to fix.

·
Registered
466 Posts
No S2000s in the world have HID high-beams or aka bi-xenon. Heck, not any Japanese manufacturer has bi-xenon till date.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts