The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry no pics, but this is really easy. I had fuzz from the radio when the HIDs were on and despite how rarely I use the radio, I found this annoyance unacceptable. I stopped by the local auto parts store and purchased one of the ~18" long, $9 flexible antennas. I then insulated the metal base of the antenna with electrical tape so that it wouldn't come in contact with all the aluminum under the dash ( tried the mod without the insulation, but the grounding to the chassis killed all reception).

Pull the stereo, unplug the stock antenna, and plug in the new flex antenna. I found that flex antenna rec'd comparable reception as the stock antenna if I tucked it behind the airbag area in the dash. I then pushed the stereo and wiring back in the dash and I was done. 20 minute job and the HID radio fuzz is now gone...

Best,

Phil

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Any pics of the antenna or something similar? Would Radioshack carry this? I take it the antenna had the right connector to plug straight into the back of the factory head unit?

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All the antennas have the same plug. The stock head unit has a universal adapter from factory already plugged into it that will accept any antenna you find...

The antenna is simply one of those cheesy rubber units that you see on circa mid 80's GM products that are still on the road today;) I think just about every auto parts store carries them. You may have to play with the orientation of the antenna for a bit until you find its happy spot within the dash...

Best,

Phil

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
I may have to try that.
I get NO radio reception with the HID's on.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Thanks for the tip I'll check it out. I get no radio reception with the HID's off either, well it's really hit or miss sometimes it's crystal clear but 90% of the time it's fuzzy to none.

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It helps for sure. There's now no difference between HIDs on or off. It took some fiddling to get the antenna positioned right in the dash so that it had good reception, but not that big of a deal. Again, I found that it worked best pointing to the passenger side behind the air bag. Recpetion is just as good (or bad:rolleyes::D) as it was stock...

Cheers,

Phil

·
Registered
145 Posts
It helps for sure. There's now no difference between HIDs on or off. It took some fiddling to get the antenna positioned right in the dash so that it had good reception, but not that big of a deal. Again, I found that it worked best pointing to the passenger side behind the air bag. Recpetion is just as good (or bad:rolleyes::D) as it was stock...
Thanks for this, Turbophil! :up:

I bought a "Universal Rubber Antenna" CK-UT03R from Checker Auto Parts ($10.79 with military discount). Pulled the radio and plugged in new antenna, insulated the antenna's metal base with electrical tape, fiddled with the placement behind the passenger side airbag, and enjoyed the return of FM (and even AM!) reception with HIDs on!

MikeVR4

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great, I'm glad it worked for you too!

It may not be a perfect solution, but it's certainly better than the stock setup if you're running HIDs:up:

Best,

Phil

·
Premium Member
4,563 Posts
The HID buzz has been killing me at night....thanks for this mod, can't wait to do it!!!

·
shay2nak
25,161 Posts
You guys have interference on both FM & AM?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts