The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, im new here and this is my first time to own an elise. I would like to ask for your help regarding high fuel consumption on my newly acquired 2005 lotus elise with 4k miles on the mileage. My consumption is around 4.8kms per liter(city driving with 97octane gas) with no modifications. Sorry i dont know how to convert liters to mpg. I hope you can help me look for the problem. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Took me forever to get mine down to 4 mpg. But the new supercharger and getting more comfortable about pushing the limits finally broke the 7 mpg and I finally achieved my 4 mpg goal!!!

Vroooom!!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took me forever to get mine down to 4 mpg. But the new supercharger and getting more comfortable about pushing the limits finally broke the 7 mpg and I finally achieved my 4 mpg goal!!!

Vroooom!!!
How many sec is your 0-60mph? Quarter mile?

I want to acheive 23-25mpg (normal city driving) Thats why im asking for help because my engine might have problems thats why i only acheive 11+mpg on my elise (city driving). My ap2 s2000 is more economical :-(

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
My 2011 SC Elise is also abysmal on gas. I've noticed that if you lay into it and rev all day, it's worse than an SUV. IF you keep the rpms under 3000 and go very gentle, it's 10x better.

But let's be honest, there's no point in discussing mileage here. Enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Saketome,
Unless you constantly on the throttle hard, and never just cruise, I don't see how 11mpg is possible on a stock NA 2005 Elise. Before all my upgraded (see signature), I was mid-twenty miles per gallon city, and about 33MPG highway driving. Even with all the mods I average mid-twenties in mixed driving. I think something is wrong with your car, or you put a brick on your gas pedal.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I get mid-high 20's when I'm driving spirited on back roads, or low 30's being gentle on the highway. And that is with the VF2 supercharger :shift:

The MPG this thing gets for as fast as is is amazing :clap:

·
Registered
297 Posts
There must be a hole in your tank!
4.8 Kilometres per litre!!! this is over 20litres per 100Km!! (ferrari teritory) No way! something is wrong. I have a SC lotus Elise and I can't make it uses this much fuel no matter how hard I try. These cars should be excellent on fuel, somewhere around 8ltrs per 100kms. The new 1.6 litre Toyo claims 4.9 litres per 100kms.

I would have it looked at.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My 2011 SC Elise is also abysmal on gas. I've noticed that if you lay into it and rev all day, it's worse than an SUV. IF you keep the rpms under 3000 and go very gentle, it's 10x better.

But let's be honest, there's no point in discussing mileage here. Enjoy it.

I will try your suggestion. Thanks!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Saketome,
Unless you constantly on the throttle hard, and never just cruise, I don't see how 11mpg is possible on a stock NA 2005 Elise. Before all my upgraded (see signature), I was mid-twenty miles per gallon city, and about 33MPG highway driving. Even with all the mods I average mid-twenties in mixed driving. I think something is wrong with your car, or you put a brick on your gas pedal.
My city driving is more on cruising speed, slow speed on heavy traffic and sometimes hard throttle on open roads. Like what i do with my s2000 (2.2 ltr, hks headers, decat, hks full exhaust system and aem cold air intake) but i got surprised seeing that my stock elise consumes more gas.. :-( i hope there is no serious problem with my engine..

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There must be a hole in your tank!
4.8 Kilometres per litre!!! this is over 20litres per 100Km!! (ferrari teritory) No way! something is wrong. I have a SC lotus Elise and I can't make it uses this much fuel no matter how hard I try. These cars should be excellent on fuel, somewhere around 8ltrs per 100kms. The new 1.6 litre Toyo claims 4.9 litres per 100kms.

I would have it looked at.
No fuel leak on my garage floor.. You are right about its excellent on fuel, thats why i got scared in my mpg consumption.. I hope you can help me on this.. Thanks a lot!..

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Full tank, reset odometer, use the car.. Then fill it up and get how many liters were used. Get the odometer km reading divided by liters.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
11.3 mpg is bad enough where a heavy foot is not the problem, unles you live on one side of the nurbburgring and comute to the other side. I think something is wrong that should be checked out (including varifying it is that bad and a relative didnt take it for a joyride and reset the trip counter).

I averaged about 24-28 mpg in my elise and 21-24 in my exige. My foot is made of depleated uranium.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Check for clogged air filter or intake acts like a choke and burns more fuel. Is exhaust really sooty then running way too rich. I agree you must be loosing fuel because with the vf s/c i avg 22 mpg at avg speed of 90 mph. Put a locking gas cap on and then check. It sounds crazy but do it as my friends and i did that to another friend in his gti back in the 80's. It could be a leaking pintle on a fuel injector which would cause it to run rich but not enough to trip the ecu. Hope you find it

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

1 - 20 of 56 Posts