The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

High idle + check engine light

4K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  Sburke 
#1 ·
Took the esprit out to dinner tonight and noticed a few things out of the norm..

It's around 48 degrees here and when coasting to a stop it will idle at about 2k then as you come to a complete stop it will sit at 1200 rpm. It's normally at 1k. Also when idling at a long light the check engine light came on so I turned the car off then back on and it was gone. 15 minutes later it was back on at idle then as I drove away it was gone within a minute.....

Also the esprit usually only gets to the red zone (100) when in traffic or idling forever but then always comes right back down which I gather is normal... But today under normal driving it seemed to get there but always come back down...

Are any of these symptoms pointing to something common? I had the esprit out yesterday for an hour and none of this happened..

Any input would be appreciated.

#2 ·
Start with the V8 Esprit code reader and monitoring software.

With modern cars, if you get a check engine light, don't waste time asking people what they think it might be before you check the actual codes.

As for the disturbing 100degC temp, check out my fan switch thread.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#3 ·
He doesn't have a V8.

The high idle could be caused by the throttle jack capsule and mechanics sticking. I removed mine completely because the car would often get stuck at a 2k rpm idle after getting off the highway. Fixed my issue. Only remove the throttle jack if you have already removed the EBPV.

Another cause of high idle could be an intake manifold air leak. Are you having any stalling issues?

The gauge on the dash isn't too accurate, best to check it against the coolant temperature sensor for the ECU by using Freescan or Espritmon. Some reasons for the higher temp could be a clogged radiator (from debris), or a coolant system leak, head gasket leak, trapped air in the system, or a bad pressure cap not holding 15psi.

First step is to check to see if your coolant level is going down.

I suppose if the ECU coolant temp sensor is reading low, then you could get a high idle even when the car was actually warm, and then the fans might not come on at 95c like they should... Definitely see if you can use Freescan or Espritmon to see what the ECU coolant temperature is reading.

#6 ·
The light only happened to go on twice. Once I shut the car down and fired it right back up and it was gone. The other time it went away a minute or two later from just driving. The car neve stalls. It doesn't smell like coolant. No smoke. No leaks. Does the throttle body have any sort of idle set screw that could loosen? I've had cars with that issue ..

#9 ·
DO NOT adjust the screw on the throttle butterflies!

That is not the correct way to adjust the idle. The ECU does that. There is an adjustment procedure if the Idle Air Control Valve cannot command the correct idle, but that is only done with a laptop connected to the car.

Replace the cracked coolant reservoir cap. If the cooling system cannot reach 15psi, then the coolant will boil early and not have enough heat capacity. That could be part of your issue.

You still need to read the code, and verify the ECU coolant sensor temperature.

#10 ·
I wasn't going to touch anything without knowing the correct way ;)

I will replace the cap ASAP. There's two sections of rubber on the cap, it appears to be a stock one. The lower level is the one with the cracks so not sure it is even leaking but I will still be replacing it.

Does the check engine flash for knock?? Considering it only happened at idle maybe some sort of phantom knock...

Best place to buy that cable?

#12 ·
That vacuum hose was to the EBPV valve, which looks like it was removed from your car. So You should also remove the throttle jack capsule and linkage if still present.

The Check engine will not usually light up for knock, or normal amounts of knock for these engines. If you stall the car and it vibrates badly as it stops spinning, then you can sometimes throw a code for knock. It would have to be a bad knock to throw a code.

#13 ·
Thanks. I will have to search for where that is. Also I just remembered the idle did bump up to like 2k at one point till I gave it a little gas . I've had a good number of modded turbo cars so that stuff is usually just normal. But on the esprit any little issue I'm on here :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.