The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, really weird. So I realize that my engine start-up and idle is inconsistent sometimes, but something happened today that's really got me puzzled. Here are the particulars:

> 07 Exige w/ "retune"
> 11,000 mi
> Last driven 4 days ago.
> Garaged @ ~ 70 degrees F (today).
> After start-up the engine idled at 3K. I let it sit for a few mins, but it continued to idle at 3K.
> CEL on (first time ever in 4 years - w/05 Elise and 07 Exige)
> Began to drive, hoping that the idle would slow - it never did.
> In 2nd gear, I noticed a huge loss in power - I pushed the throttle almost to the floor, and the car accelerated slower than a semi truck.
> Immediately pulled over (after driving about 4 miles) and shut down.
> Waited 3 mins, and restarted. Fired-up fine, idled as normal, and I continued to drive - everything normal.
> CEL still on tho (I assume it will eventually correct and turn off??).

WTF??? :shrug:

Anyone have any insight here?

thanks,
-dan

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok.. so I gave my old mechanic Qais a call, and he's fairly sure that the throttle actuator stuck. But I will run it by him to scan it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ok.. so I gave my old mechanic Qais a call, and he's fairly sure that the throttle actuator stuck. But I will run it by him to scan it.
Hey did you ever find out what the problem is? I am experiencing exact same symptoms in my 07 Elise. Thanks

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey did you ever find out what the problem is? I am experiencing exact same symptoms in my 07 Elise. Thanks
Nope... Problem continued getting worse. Had stock ECU reflashed by dealership several times which would misteriously "fix" the problem... for awhile. But it always slowly came back. Eventually (summer 09), the car would only operate between 3000 (idle) to 5000 (WOT). Took it to dealership last Sept with a request to fix or swap out the throttle body. The dealership was instructed by Lotus to install a "new" program designed to fix the problem. So it was reflashed again. And it drove like new.. for awhile. After a few months, the high, irratic idle began to come back intermittently. Then, the high revving between shifts, especially 1st and 2nd, began. What a surprise. So, Lotus finally agreed to replace the throttle body last week. No change. None. This week I removed and cleaned the MAF, which was pretty black on the upstream side. No change.

The odd thing is that when I fire up the engine, it either starts high or low, goes to 1000, jumps to 1500 for a few seconds, then settles back to a hair below 1000. However, when driving and shifting between 1st and 2nd, rpms will not drop below 2000, unless I wait a few seconds. At a stop, it takes about 5 or 10 seconds for the revs to drop from 2000 to 1000.

The frustrating thing is that I know it will eventually get worse, because this has been the exact same pattern I've experienced over the last 2 years. :mad:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Did it happen after you used the A/C?
I had a similiar problem before, it's A/C related issue. Dealer replaced something regarding to the A/C unit and it's all fixed now

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did it happen after you used the A/C?
I had a similiar problem before, it's A/C related issue. Dealer replaced something regarding to the A/C unit and it's all fixed now
Nope... I never use the AC.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, almost 2 years later, after several trips to NE, several reflashes that were supposed to "correct" the problem, a newly replaced throttle body, and I STILL have the same problem with the throttle/pedal. Although I have not had a repeat of the scary incident last year when the throttle was stuck while on the freeway (in the #1 lane with trucks to the right and behind me and unable to accelerate around them to exit ramp), I am still experincing the same issues that led to that incident - intermittent erratic, high idle on start up, and intermittent slow throttle response between shifts (won't drop below 2000, or sometimes as high as 3000). Dealership nor Lotus has resloved the problem and I am left with the car essentially garaged for over 1 year now. However, I found the error codes that came up last year before NE reflashed the ECU. Those were:

P2106 - Throttle Actuator Control System - Forced Limited Power
P2122 - Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch "D" Circuit Low

NE service recently has been insisting the problem is due to my catch cans, however, they bypassed the cans, road tested the car and said that they could not get it to fault. So I picked up the car, with cans bypassed, and I am still experiencing the exact same problems. But, I am not getting a CEL, and they told me that they need error codes to get Lotus to authorize repairs, even though they admitted the car is not running properly!!!!!

Very, very, very frustrated.

·
Registered
19 Posts
TPS

May be a bad throttle position sensor. I haven't had this problem on my lotus, but on other cars. If the ECU is not getting the right values from the TPS, it typically puts the car in limp mode limiting the RPMs.

Skip

So, almost 2 years later, after several trips to NE, several reflashes that were supposed to "correct" the problem, a newly replaced throttle body, and I STILL have the same problem with the throttle/pedal. Although I have not had a repeat of the scary incident last year when the throttle was stuck while on the freeway (in the #1 lane with trucks to the right and behind me and unable to accelerate around them to exit ramp), I am still experincing the same issues that led to that incident - intermittent erratic, high idle on start up, and intermittent slow throttle response between shifts (won't drop below 2000, or sometimes as high as 3000). Dealership nor Lotus has resloved the problem and I am left with the car essentially garaged for over 1 year now. However, I found the error codes that came up last year before NE reflashed the ECU. Those were:

P2106 - Throttle Actuator Control System - Forced Limited Power
P2122 - Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch "D" Circuit Low

NE service recently has been insisting the problem is due to my catch cans, however, they bypassed the cans, road tested the car and said that they could not get it to fault. So I picked up the car, with cans bypassed, and I am still experiencing the exact same problems. But, I am not getting a CEL, and they told me that they need error codes to get Lotus to authorize repairs, even though they admitted the car is not running properly!!!!!

Very, very, very frustrated.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
May be a bad throttle position sensor. I haven't had this problem on my lotus, but on other cars. If the ECU is not getting the right values from the TPS, it typically puts the car in limp mode limiting the RPMs.

Skip
I agree that it may be the throttle position sensor (and/or pedal assembly)... but the car is NOT, nor ever was, in limp mode. However, Lotus is now saying that it may be a loose ECU harness connection which is not covered under warranty (here goes more $$$). I understand Lotus' desire to methodically check one item at a time, but what I don't understand why the freakin' shop just can't run thru their checklist and test these things until they find the problem. It's just an endless series of band aids that result in no improvement and me running back and forth to the shop, wasting valuable work time and eating up the time that could be spent actually enjoying the car. :mad:

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Final Resolution with Throttle

The issue was finally resolved last Jan, 2010. Sorry it's been so long, but frustration with the throttle issue combined with economy, work, and family issues (including a very sick pet), led me to garage the Lotus for most of 2009 and 2010. As a result, I didn't spend any time on LT.

Anyway, after numerous trips to service, here's what they supposedly... FINALLY... discovered, verbatim, as per the service order:

"Check engine codes P2122 and P2106. Check signal - short circuit at pedal potentiometer. Yellow wire 6 volts, green wire 6 volts. Check grounds - ok. Check signal on brown wire - ok. Check signal on blue wire - no signal."

As a result, they "renewed" the throttle pedal assembly and electronic throttle assembly.

-dan

·
Registered
24 Posts
All I can say after reading through all these messages is Dan D has great patience and endurance. I have been reading all the throttle and ECU information because I get a CEL and Limp Mode with codes P0638 and P2104 under full acceleration in any gear. Shut the car off and restart and the limp mode clears and runs fine. It only seems to happen when the outside air temp is below 50 degrees. I can run the hell out of the car in the summer heat and this never happens. I've been very carefull to make sure the car is warmed up before getting on it but it still happens (but not every time). The records from the original owner shows the ECU was reflashed (TSB-2006-07) So I'm scratching my head whether to take the car to the dealer for another reflash. I'm really concerned that when I spoke to the service rep, that he hadn't heard of this problem. I told him to check for these codes on Lotus talk. Sorry for the long message, but it's good to know what the rest of you are saying so I can have a nice talk with the service tech if I bring the car in.

·
Registered
101 Posts
This actually recently happened to my 05 Elise. What I did was turned off the battery using the killswitch and it resetted back to normal idle. If you don't have a killswitch to your battery try disconnecting your battery. Hope this helps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts