The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys....first post. MY wife is looking for a "fun" sports car to run around in (may drive to work also). Our local Exotics Dealer has an 05 Elise with around 65K miles. Price seems reasonable but just wandering about the miles. Will I start getting into any mechanical "issues" at higher miles such as this. I have not seen any other car posted anywhere with miles close to this. Anyone thoughts?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Working on 70,000 miles.

Hey, I'm pretty close to 70,000 miles with virtually no major problems. As long as the maintenance is kept up with then there shouldn't be an issue. I use mine as a "daily driver". I switch between the '03 Esprit, the '90 Esprit, and the Elise. So far... all of them have been very reliable with the occasonal "Lotus experience" thrown in. The only one I've had any issues with to speak of was the 1974 Europa so I decided to rebuild that one from the ground up... the never ending task.

Get it. Drive it. Have fun.

Life is something you do for entertainment between the time you were born and the time you die.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I am trying to figure out weither I want to go for this car with higher miles and risk higher maintenance costs or go ahead and pony up a little more $ now and go for a lower mileage 05/06.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I have an 06 with 54,500+ and have had no major problems. A few rattles and not so tight bolts but I think I got a hand on all of those a wile ago. If you read through this site a bit you will get a feel for this car and its quirks. But you will find no major problems with the car. A few cars have had their problems of course but most of those got figured out within the first 20,000 miles or so. With this car’s Toy motor and simple layout 70,000 mils is nothing to wary about. There’s not much on this car so there’s not much to go wrong.

Most people on this site are helpful and nice, even the ones that will tell you to use the search. So be warned about the search police, and welcome to LT.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
What is your general whereabouts? There’s bound to be a few people in your area that you can meet up with at some time and get a bit more of a hands on/up close look. Plus an owner may meet you for a look at the car in question with you for a bit of help if you would like.

Kevin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts