The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in experiences of higher mileage Stevens models. Mine has 44k on it now, I put 7k on it in the last 10 months and I plan to continue to accrue mileage at that rate. It is currently running very well and strong.

So, how many miles do you have on your Stevens and what have you seen that is mileage related?

I think my next action will be a complete valve adjustment, probably with follower replacement based on some comments on this forum.

I've already replaced the brake discs and installed EBC pads and JAE stainless lines and flushed the brake fluid twice with ATE Blue stuff. Accumulator is new. Hoses, timing belt, tensioner, etc. all done. Looking at the electric chargecooler pump as well. New injectors and TPS installed a few months ago. Did the Elise wheel and a HUD so I can see my speed and rpm.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Assuming you are talking a four cylinder, your current miles are modest.

Most well cared for cars that are not beat too hard go 70-80k without major issues. After that it is much less predictable. We have seen cars with lots of internal wear and others with minimal.

Seals start to go, water pumps wear out, cam towers leak, valves start to leak.

The fuel tanks are rusting as we speak and most look bad and start to leak after about 20 yrs. transmissions tend more reliable if not abused.

Unless you drive like grandma, most motors will need a lot by 100k.......may still be running, but not at the level the car deserves.

A modest rebuild will make everything near new again!

Randy

·
Super Moderator
4,038 Posts
[snip]
So, how many miles do you have on your Stevens and what have you seen that is mileage related?

I think my next action will be a complete valve adjustment, probably with follower replacement based on some comments on this forum.[snip]?
I put on 29K miles in 29 months (at 59K now) 88 Esprit.

Click on my 'garage' - I have listed ALL the maintenance done by date.
While it doesn't list actual mileage, you can compute backwards from Oct 2011 1000 miles per month.

The follower replacement was an eye-opener for me too - I'm thinking of having that checked out at my 36K timing belt replacement (around August 2014).

Car has been in shop for last 3 weeks for a radiator replacement (after 7 months with a 2nd aluminum aftermarket radiator failure) and for the Citroen circlip fix. While they're in there, new clutch disc, throw out bearing, pressure plate, and a Quaife differential.

They had to remove a lot of components to get the transmission out. My turbo looks real good - tight, no bearing slop, some oil leakage (not clear if that's from removing the turbo). Hopefully it'll take me to 100K.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Assuming you are talking a four cylinder, your current miles are modest
Sorry, I should have said mine is a 95 S4. I don't doubt the fuel tanks are rusting, I'm hoping to avoid that until the inevitable rebuild, but that may be years away and may have to bite the bullet to stop the corrosion before I lose the tanks.

I do track the car, maybe twice per year, so not babying it and I drive in the rain, but not snow or sub freezing in order to avoid the deicer. It's possible that I might occasionally exceed the speed limit :D but I'm easy on the tranny and clutch, prefer to go fast around curves than lose drag races with camaros.

Engine and tranny oil looked good when I changed it, then I changed it again, then again after the last track day along with the brake fluid. No metal in the oil. Shocks seem fine and everything works.

Anyone know the cost of a set of followers?

·
Cal H
982 Posts
In the 40K range look for cracks in the exhaust manifold usually between 3 and 4.

Shifting starts to get loose. so maybe look at shifter improvment kits in the near future

You change fluid the tranny yet?

Keep an eye on the turbo

You are okay its not like you are near 100K

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I put on 29K miles in 29 months (at 59K now) 88 Esprit.

Click on my 'garage' - I have listed ALL the maintenance done by date.
While it doesn't list actual mileage, you can compute backwards from Oct 2011 1000 miles per month.

The follower replacement was an eye-opener for me too - I'm thinking of having that checked out at my 36K timing belt replacement (around August 2014).

Car has been in shop for last 3 weeks for a radiator replacement (after 7 months with a 2nd aluminum aftermarket radiator failure) and for the Citroen circlip fix. While they're in there, new clutch disc, throw out bearing, pressure plate, and a Quaife differential.

They had to remove a lot of components to get the transmission out. My turbo looks real good - tight, no bearing slop, some oil leakage (not clear if that's from removing the turbo). Hopefully it'll take me to 100K.
Sucks about the radiator, was your original unit leaking, or was it damaged? That quaife should be nice!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I made the decision to do a complete engine rebuild (as well as other work) at close to 70k miles - though the car was running well and compression was good. Based on what I have seen from others on the list the main bearings can show wear at the 70-75k range. I probably could have gone another 10k without an issue but I was motivated to do the rebuild just for the sheer pleasure of working on the car. A lot of the stuff I replaced did not really need to be replaced, and some of it was put to use in other Esprits I have worked on - but I wanted to get my own car as close to a new Lotus as possible.

I also had managed to acquire new pistons and liners as well as a new UN1 trans for the car. It also was beginning to lose clearcoat so I wanted to get it respayed. Iy seemed logical to have that done while the engine, brakes, and suspension were being reworked. Ultimately my objective was to redo every mechanical system in the car. It took about a year and is pretty well documented on the forum under "Tom's '89 Project".

It was a great project! The car, in my opinion, must be very close to what a new Esprit must have felt like driving it out of the dealer lot in 1989. Since then I have put about 5k miles on the car and it has performed beautifully. I do not track the car but it is used on a near-daily basis. I do live in Florida so I drive it year-round.

Tom

·
Super Moderator
4,038 Posts
Sucks about the radiator, was your original unit leaking, or was it damaged? That quaife should be nice!
The radiator was a $1600 assembly with 3 fans, billet construction - pure automotive component pr0n. But my experience shows it does not last.

I only replace the original (which I kept for backup, luckily) because it was 70% clogged. It was in great shape otherwise. I had it rodded out and boiled and it's going back in. The 40% larger aluminum unit appealed to the 'improvement' side of my brain, but it was offset by the lack of durability.

The Quaife - for a street cruiser it's overkill, but after driving Mustangs for 19 years with Traction-Lok, it'll be more familiar behavior than the spinning I get sometimes in the rain. And its behavior is more friendly to the CWP assembly noted for its unobtainium nature.

·
Super Moderator
4,038 Posts
[snip]No metal in the oil. [snip]
That's my car's Achille's heel - I had a Blackstone analysis done around 50K miles and it showed high levels of copper/lead (indicative of bearing wear).
Yet the oil TBN is 2.9 indicating its ability to lubricate is not deteriorated yet.

I use Redline oil and changed it at 5K mark (now I do it at the 3K mark). The 5K mark was recommended due to my frequent driving, but unclear if that contributed to the high copper/lead. I have a sample at 3K but haven't submitted yet.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
than the spinning I get sometimes in the rain.
Yes, I get that occasionally going to second on the curving on ramps here in the rain when it's cold outside.

I also use redline in everything.

So, I think I can plan on an engine out (tanks out as well) freshening in a couple of years depending on condition. Plenty of time to save up!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts