Discussion Starter #1
Doh!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1FASTMX5 said:
GeeeZ! You would think they would have cut the hippo open immediately and retreaved the lil fellow.
Not a simple prospect! Hippos kill more people in Africa yearly than any other animal. More news you can use. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
495 Posts
Now wait a minute...

You can't actually believe that, can you?

True that hippos kill a lot of people, but they don't EAT them, let alone swallow them whole.

Incidently, I have a lovely bridge I'm selling -- a real bagain;)

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Need4Speed said:
Not a simple prospect! Hippos kill more people in Africa yearly than any other animal. More news you can use. :rolleyes:
Busted !!! You watch "Animal Face-Off" on Discovery !!! (I saw that one, too)

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Didn't say it was by eating. Your inference.

They are particularly dangerous in Africa because they are of course river creatures and hang out feeding by the banks. Villagers need access to water too and inevitably surprise a hippo in their transits near the river, coming between them and the water. Hippos take to this poorly, and are very territorial. Under these circumstances they frequently attack and are highly lethal.

Having been 20' from a grazing Hippo in the wild in Botswana (came into camp and was eating some grass between huts), I can tell you they are big, fast when they want to be, and could thrash you (or me) in a heartbeat.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
HOLY $HIT!!!!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Police said the trampoline had been sent in for forensic analysis
That reminds me -

If you see the commercial where one 7 year-old kid in a suit and tie is selling the new Ford Excessive or whatever SUV it is to the other 7 year-old kid, watch the bottom of the screen for the disclaimer while they're jumping on the little mini-trampoline towards the end of the commercial.

Nah, we aren't to litigious here.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I previously noticed that about the trampoline commercial. Actually trampolines do have a pretty back record. Many home owners insurance companies will cancel you if they find out you own one.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Hippos have poor eyesight and are regularly poached.
They are territorial and have less space as human population expands.
In the end, more people in Africa kill other people than hippos do.
m.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thegit said:
Hippos have poor eyesight and are regularly poached.
They are territorial and have less space as human population expands.
All too true, and illustrative of why we should go now to see 'The Big Five', the Six, the Seven - take one's pick - while we still can. Go to India now and see the tiger while he roams wild. Go to Cocos & Galapagos now to see the schooling hammerheads, while you can, before the long-liners have had their way. In a short decade or two, it may all be gone...

thegit said:
In the end, more people in Africa kill other people than hippos do.
m.
Of course, what can one say to human nature and our proficiency at killing. Perhaps Vonnegut was right.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts