The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a weird noise show up this morning on my drive to work (06 elise, only mod is a Larini exhaust which has been on for ~4 months). About half way to the office I started hearing this hissing noise at 5,000 RPM's. If I go past 5,000 it goes away; if I stay under 5,000 no hissing. It's quite loud - I'm running a Larini exhaust and can hear it over the exhaust - sounds like its coming from right behind my head. I checked around the car when I got to the office and don't see any fluids dripping, no CEL light or codes, temp and gauges all normal. I don't have a way to get under the car or get the undertray off so my view is limited at the moment. My idle is rough, but it's been that way for 2 years since I got the car - it's no different now.

Questions:

1) If it was vacuum leaking, would it be quiet then LOUD at 5k? I'd think it would get louder all way to redline rather than go away when I get over 5k.

2) Same comments with exhaust leak - wouldn't an exhaust leak get louder throughout the RPM range or throughout the throttle position?

3) If I hold the car at 5,000 RPM's the noise stays for as long as I hold it - sounds like your head is right in front of a fan.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Dan

1 - 1 of 1 Posts