The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going about 40 mph through an intersection in a city with roads that haven't been re-paved for probably a hundred years. As I crossed the intersection the road dropped off into a gutter and CRACK, I ground a 4-inch hole in the buttom edge of my front clam.

I was wondering anyone has come across a problem like this before and was able to DIY it. Im thinking liquid fiberlglass might work?

thx

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I was going about 40 mph through an intersection in a city with roads that haven't been re-paved for probably a hundred years. As I crossed the intersection the road dropped off into a gutter and CRACK, I ground a 4-inch hole in the buttom edge of my front clam.

I was wondering anyone has come across a problem like this before and was able to DIY it. Im thinking liquid fiberlglass might work?

thx
You should check to see if your local city/county will cover this. Up here if a pot hole or similar road condition causes damage you have a certain number of days to make a claim. The time period is short (something like a week). you should check to see if you have anything similar there. Take some pics of your car's damage and the gutter.

·
Registered
624 Posts
check randy chases post. he did a big clam repair thread.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I feel your pain, I've done something close, not as bad, but plan on getting a spoiler and using it as a sacrificial part. I'd rather use something functional as apposed to using chin-guards.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
You should check to see if your local city/county will cover this. Up here if a pot hole or similar road condition causes damage you have a certain number of days to make a claim. The time period is short (something like a week). you should check to see if you have anything similar there. Take some pics of your car's damage and the gutter.
This is true, usually, only if the city/county have been informed of the pot hole/bad road prior to your occurrence. "Prior to" varies from "someone called yesterday" to "4 months or longer." If you are the first person to call, they usually deny any responsibility.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
This is true, usually, only if the city/county have been informed of the pot hole/bad road prior to your occurrence. "Prior to" varies from "someone called yesterday" to "4 months or longer." If you are the first person to call, they usually deny any responsibility.
Then how would you know if someone else has reported it before?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Hey Baysailor.. I tried sending you a PM on repairing the clam once.. You never replied.. Just wanted to know what materials you used

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Hey Baysailor.. I tried sending you a PM on repairing the clam once.. You never replied.. Just wanted to know what materials you used
Sorry about that... I just went into my PM box and sure enough there is one from you! You sent it around the time I was helping another member with his clam repair. I had gotten several PM's on the same subject and must have just breezed through yours thinking it was from the same person.

I used West System Epoxy for my repairs. They also have a good variety of fillers and additives with various characteristics for specific applications. I used straight epoxy with cloth for the physical repair, epoxy with adhesive fillers for fillets on the backside and epoxy with fairing fillers for shaping/finishing the front side.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the advice everyone. Once I actually repair the hole in the clam, where can I purchase GG touch-up paint?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts