The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, great day. 80 and sunny and we have a FANTASTIC spirited drive happening. About 12 or so Loti and a few others (Viper, Maserati).

Went to southwestern Wisconsin to the amazing 'Alphabet Roads'. Tons of twisties/elevation, etc.

Well about and hour and a half into the drive, a deer (maybe 150-200#) jumps RIGHT out in front of my car. I was doing about 60-65. Keep in mind, I have 15 other cars (mostly Loti) right behind me.

- I was fortunate to hit it with a 'glancing blow' and not head on, so no front end damage.

- Car is 100% fine mechanically. Matter of fact, I did probably another 2 hours of spirited drive route after that and the two hour drive home.

- Fortunately, the deer fell of the car and fall into the side ravine on the right side of the road. What this means is that it DIDN'T land in the road, which would mean that the other Loti behind me would hit it causing a chain reaction would would be really bad.

- No broken windshield, no broken glass.

- I have the hard to find Carbon Grey RAC Monolites and they weren't damaged at all.

- Also, no oncoming traffic. Fortunately, I hit and was able to maintain steering and stop. If I hit it head on and lost control, there was a ravine to the left with about 15-20' drop.

- The animal was clearly in a lot of trouble. Wisconsin is concealed carry so fortunately one of the guys on the drive in a Maserati had a fireaarm and was able to administer roadside mercy to put the animal out of it's misery.

- Damage is to the passenger side mirror (he hit that and took it off), pass door and rear clam (passenger side). All repairable and NO mechanical damage (amazing).

As we all discussed, I was VERY fortunate at how it turned out. I hit a large deer at 60-65mph and sustained no front end damage, zero mechanical damage, I was unharmed and none of the others in the group were either.

So, there ya go.

Pics (and yes, that's blood and deer hair in my rear clam).

Attachments

·
Registered
668 Posts
:(

i am gonna keep a gun, just in case from now on. you never know when we need it.

i guess i lost the ROADKILL contest. all i got was 100000+ bugs on my clam.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Sorry to hear SwingLo, glad to see nobody got hurt (except the deer!). I'm surprised there isn't more damage to the car. Are you going to have the dealer fix the clam or do you have a good independent body shop nearby?

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a good shop right down the street. He's a buddy of mine - did all the work on on my car (custom clams, etc) and has done like 20 Eliges.

·
Premium Member
2,839 Posts
Ugh.......You are so lucky. A 2 mph. difference could have landed a large deer through the windshield. Nobody would've won that impact:( Good to hear that you're ok. Wow.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I'm very lucky as are the others who were behind me as well.

·
Registered
742 Posts
That sucks but that's what insurance is for. Any additional plans on taking advantage of it being in the shop?

·
Such Administrating
6,894 Posts
very lucky!

And when you submit it to insurance, send them the pics, including the deer lol

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
Wow dude!! that really sucks, glad you're OK BTW not to make light od the tragedy but did you tell the Maserati driver "I'm fine"

Farmer Jeb decided his injuries from the accident were serious enough to take the trucking company (responsible for the accident) to court.

In court, the trucking company's fancy lawyer was questioning farmer Joe. "Didn't you say, at the scene of the accident, 'I'm fine?'" questioned the lawyer.

Farmer Jeb responded, "Well I'll tell you what happened. I had just loaded my favorite mule Molly into the..."

"I didn't ask for any details," the lawyer interrupted, "just answer the question. Did you not say, at the scene of the accident, 'I'm fine?'"

Farmer Jeb said, "Well I had just got Molly into the trailer and I was driving down the road..."

The lawyer interrupted again and said, "Judge, I am trying to establish the fact that, at the scene of the accident, this man told the Highway Patrolman on the scene that he was just fine. Now several weeks after the accident he is trying to sue my client. I believe he is a fraud. Please tell him to simply answer the question."

By this time the Judge was fairly interested in Farmer Jeb's answer and said to the lawyer, "I'd like to hear what he has to say about his favorite mule Molly."

Joe thanked the Judge and proceeded, "Well as I was saying, I had just loaded Molly, my favorite mule, into the trailer and was driving her down the highway when this huge semi-truck and trailer ran the stop sign, and smacked my truck right in the side.

I was thrown into one ditch and Molly was thrown into the other. I was hurting real bad and didn't want to move. However, I could hear ole Molly moaning and groaning. I knew she was in terrible shape just by her groans.

Shortly after the accident a Highway Patrolman came on the scene. He could hear Molly moaning and groaning so he went over to her. After he looked at her he took out his gun and shot her between the eyes.

Then the Patrolman came across the road with his gun in his hand and looked at me. He said, 'Your mule was in such bad shape I had to shoot her. How are you feeling?

It was then that I said, "I'm fine." what would you have said?

·
Registered
796 Posts
glad you are okay Swinglo! Sorry about your car. Looks repairable!

Renderman - yea, that is about the truth. Lawyers are paid well to spin the truth to their clients advantage. Individual perception dictates facts for each of us.
"Then you'll see, that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself." - Buddhist kid from the Matrix.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Wow dude!! that really sucks, glad you're OK BTW not to make light od the tragedy but did you tell the Maserati driver "I'm fine"

Farmer Jeb decided his injuries from the accident were serious enough to take the trucking company (responsible for the accident) to court.

In court, the trucking company's fancy lawyer was questioning farmer Joe. "Didn't you say, at the scene of the accident, 'I'm fine?'" questioned the lawyer.

Farmer Jeb responded, "Well I'll tell you what happened. I had just loaded my favorite mule Molly into the..."

"I didn't ask for any details," the lawyer interrupted, "just answer the question. Did you not say, at the scene of the accident, 'I'm fine?'"

Farmer Jeb said, "Well I had just got Molly into the trailer and I was driving down the road..."

The lawyer interrupted again and said, "Judge, I am trying to establish the fact that, at the scene of the accident, this man told the Highway Patrolman on the scene that he was just fine. Now several weeks after the accident he is trying to sue my client. I believe he is a fraud. Please tell him to simply answer the question."

By this time the Judge was fairly interested in Farmer Jeb's answer and said to the lawyer, "I'd like to hear what he has to say about his favorite mule Molly."

Joe thanked the Judge and proceeded, "Well as I was saying, I had just loaded Molly, my favorite mule, into the trailer and was driving her down the highway when this huge semi-truck and trailer ran the stop sign, and smacked my truck right in the side.

I was thrown into one ditch and Molly was thrown into the other. I was hurting real bad and didn't want to move. However, I could hear ole Molly moaning and groaning. I knew she was in terrible shape just by her groans.

Shortly after the accident a Highway Patrolman came on the scene. He could hear Molly moaning and groaning so he went over to her. After he looked at her he took out his gun and shot her between the eyes.

Then the Patrolman came across the road with his gun in his hand and looked at me. He said, 'Your mule was in such bad shape I had to shoot her. How are you feeling?

It was then that I said, "I'm fine." what would you have said?
Haha!!! That's great!

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
SwingLo, sorry to hear about the accident. Good to see that your spirits are still up. I know I'd be devastated.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts