The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a sickening feeling to get back to your car and find her damaged, and then to find no note left by the offender.

Apparently someone backed into the driver's side door. There are a couple of big scrapes, and it's cracked by the pull handle and again in the lower right.

My insurance deductible is $1,000, so I'm weighing my options. I could file a claim and take it to a body shop and have it fixed. Or I could order a door shell, have it painted, and rebuild the door myself.

Couple of questions: Would a body shop working under an insurance claim repair the fiberglass or replace the shell? What would you guess it will cost to have this professionally fixed? Has anyone rebuilt a door themselves? How difficult is it?

Thanks!
Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Hopefully the aluminum hinge is not bent, does not look too bad at all from the pict, I would try for a new door personally vs having somebody try to patch the door handle area.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I don't think there was any structural damage. Door opens/closes fine and the door gaps are fine.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I wonder if you could find a salvage, destroyed Elise/Exige that happens to have an undamaged door, there is also a very large shop in the UK that parts out Elise bits, and the shell of the door seems like it would fairly light to ship... can't remember the name of the place but if you search here should find it.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
^^^^ yes, and post a WTB in the Parts for sale section.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm...I'll look into that.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't, but I highly doubt it. Worth a call, I guess. Good idea...thanks.

Tom

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
the skin is a very low dollar part. hopefully the internals are okay.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
It's amazing. Some people are lower than a bowlegged snake. Hitting a car and not leaving a note? Terrible. Good luck with the repair.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yea, and then there's the opposite. Someone I know hit (tapped, I was in the car at the time) an older Jaguar in a parking lot, left a note, and got a bill for several thousand for a small bump at the back of the car. Methinks they fixed more than just the bump.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Same thing happened to me...I scuffed the bumper of a car, left a note, was sent an estimate of $1400!

The shell is $590 from lotusgarage. With painting and R&R, I'm guessing we'll be somewhere in the $1500 ballpark.

·
Registered
422 Posts
UGH!!! That really sucks, man. Sorry to see that. I've recently decided to lower my comp deductible to $250 because of sh!t like that.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm thinking of doing the same.

Thanks for the sympathy!

·
Registered
317 Posts
did you check to see if the lot that you were parked in has security cameras?
Check with any surrounding businesses that may also have cameras. On Thursday, I spoke with one of our clients who had pulled video to help catch some thieves that broke into the commercial HVAC company next door to steal copper. They got the color, make, and model of the their vehicle and a decent shot of the perp. Modern video surveillance cameras and digital recording can offer much better images than most people think (570 TVL color CCD cameras and recording D1 resolution at 30 IPS have become standard).

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Arrgh! That happened to me two years ago with another car I own. In a CHURCH parking lot, I came out to find that someone had scraped the side of my car with theirs from the rear quarter down past my door. I was so angry, and it is an insult to injury that you have to pay for their stupidity.

In the words of Bill Clinton, "I feel your pain."

·
Registered
85 Posts
I could be wrong but I think the door shell glues on to the door frame. Might make it difficult to rebuild yourself.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Unfortunately, no other businesses nearby that would be at all likely to have cameras. Kind of a "weird" area.

Glued, really? Where in this diagram would the glue be? Oh I hope not.

I was parked in a parallel spot behind some head-in spots.

Also, the damage to the shell is worse than I though. If you open the door at look end-on at it, the outer surface is separated from the middle surface. I'd be surprised if it's repairable.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Sorry about your car. Someone from where I used to work backed into my front clam and never said anything and I worked with them! :mad:

As for the repair, if you do not like any of your local quotes I can quote you the paint work on it but I can not do it until next month. Shipping would only be one way as I am sure FVMC could order one here and I could pick it up.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts