The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone dealt with the Hertz insurance? I got hit by a Hertz rental car yesterday. Should I go through my insurance or contact Hertz directly?

As I was coming out from the shopping mall, a foreign tourist couple, in a Prius, backed into me at the stop sign. :wallbang: Luckily they had the full coverage through Hertz. I hope I don't have to pay for the deductible. Since it wasn't my fault, my insurance shouldn't go up. I hope.

I may need a new front clam. Do I need to go the specialty shop or any old body shop would do? Do you know any good body shop in Sacramento or SF Bay Area?

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
If you want your car to go back to NEW take it to a specialty shop. Chances are any old body shop would not know how to fix the car correctly, paint match..etc.

I would contact my insurance and let them deal with Hertz insurance, that's what I pay insurance for. Make sure that you get to pick the body shop you want to take the car to, hertz insurance will probably try to make you go to one of their body shops but you dont want to do that.

Someone familiar with the area will chime in and tell you a reputable body shop that has experience fixing lotus.

Good luck

post pics up if you want.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
ALWAYS go through your own insurance - let THEM worry about getting the money from Hertz. That's what you pay them for. Your insurance shouldn't go up. I believe you also need to notify the CA DMV whenever there's an accident that causes damage like this.

Lastly, go to a speciality shop, you're not paying for it! Get it done by someone that's worked on Elises before. If there's still a dealer in Sac, take it there.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
hertz insurance will probably try to make you go to one of their body shops but you dont want to do that.
True, and more importantly, remember that in CA, you can take the car anywhere you wish to get it repaired, even if it's not one of the insurance company's 'approved' shops. They'll still have to pay even if it's not one of their approved shops.

·
Registered
907 Posts
ALWAYS go through your own insurance - let THEM worry about getting the money from Hertz. That's what you pay them for. Your insurance shouldn't go up. I believe you also need to notify the CA DMV whenever there's an accident that causes damage like this.

Lastly, go to a speciality shop, you're not paying for it! Get it done by someone that's worked on Elises before. If there's still a dealer in Sac, take it there.
Actually, if you claim through your insurance and then try to switch insurance companies - you'll have a claim on your records and the quote will be a lot higher because of it.

I was in exactly the same situation as you - hit by a hertz rental car which was 100% at fault according to the police report. I claimed through my State Farm insurance. When I went to insure the Lotus, State Farm quoted me $600 and Progressive quoted me $2800 because of the previous claim.

I'll never claim through my insurance again when the other party is 100% at fault.

If I can recall correctly, Hertz dealt with it quite promptly and paid the full amount requested. I also took the car to a MINI dealer and had their approved body shop repair the car.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Actually, if you claim through your insurance and then try to switch insurance companies - you'll have a claim on your records and the quote will be a lot higher because of it.

I was in exactly the same situation as you - hit by a hertz rental car which was 100% at fault according to the police report. I claimed through my State Farm insurance. When I went to insure the Lotus, State Farm quoted me $600 and Progressive quoted me $2800 because of the previous claim.

I'll never claim through my insurance again when the other party is 100% at fault.

If I can recall correctly, Hertz dealt with it quite promptly and paid the full amount requested. I also took the car to a MINI dealer and had their approved body shop repair the car.
If its not your fault then your claim should state that, so if your trying to change insurance companies your quote shouldnt be any higher.

Bottom line, if its not your fault then your quotes/payments should not go up.

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
I believe you also need to notify the CA DMV whenever there's an accident that causes damage like this.
Correct, for any incident with over $750 in damages a form SR-1 needs to be filed with the DMV.
Traffic Accident Report (SR 1)

However, typically if you go through your insurance company they will file it on your behalf.

Good Luck
Kiyoshi

PS There are a couple decent shops in the San Jose/Santa Clara area if that helps.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
If its not your fault then your claim should state that, so if your trying to change insurance companies your quote shouldnt be any higher.

Fault has nothing to do with it. It is all about "claims made."

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Has anyone dealt with the Hertz insurance? I got hit by a Hertz rental car yesterday. Should I go through my insurance or contact Hertz directly?

As I was coming out from the shopping mall, a foreign tourist couple, in a Prius, backed into me at the stop sign. :wallbang: Luckily they had the full coverage through Hertz. I hope I don't have to pay for the deductible. Since it wasn't my fault, my insurance shouldn't go up. I hope.
I would begin by dealing with Hertz directly. Get your quotes etc from the body shop of your choice. Hertz may require their adjuster to see/evaluate the car. Do not let that happen anywhere except at the body shop of your choice while the body shop folks are present, please. There may be supplemental repairs that required (hidden damage) so do not accept a check and sign a waiver for the initial estimate amount. You would be on the hook for the remaining amount.

If, and only if, Hertz is giving you any grief about the repair/payment/choice of body shop/etc. you should contact your state insurance commissioner's office. They will assist you further.

If that fails, then your options (outside of the legal system) are paying for the damage yourself or filing with your insurance company and having them deal with the subrogation against Hertz (ie, they will attempt to get their money back). The problem with this option is the "claims made" tag on your file. It can cause problems or loss of your $$/insurability/etc. in the future and IMHO should be your last resort.

·
Registered
907 Posts

That's that I told them but it doesn't matter who's at fault.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thank you so much for all your great advice. Yes, I think this will cost a bit more than $750 to fix. I will let you know how it all turns out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts