The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Off subject, but last night on my way home from work, some low-life scum though it would be great fun to throw a rock at me. Now I have a nice huge double dent in my front fender of my top-down, black Miata.:mad:

I can just imagine if it had happened a moth or so from now when I'll be driving my nice new Orange Elise. -eek-

When I got home and found the damage, I called the police to let them know what was happening - the lady on the phone insisted that an officer should come to the house to take a report. When he got there, he spent most of the time trying to tell me that it was probably a rock from another car. He kept saying that in spite of me explaining that I hadn't hit any rocks, I was on the right side of the road (divided highway), the dent was on the right side of the front fender, and since I was at the front of the line at the last traffic light, there wasn't a single car in front of me for over a hundred yards...:rolleyes:

Now not only will I have to watch out for all the SUVs that will be targeting the Elise, but I also have to keep a constant eye out for the scum hiding in the bushes...:huh:

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear that; look on the bright side though - at least you were not hurt.

Awhile back, I was cruising along on the freeway in my Miata and out of nowhere, I here a very loud "smack!" sound right next to my head (on the left side). I didn't know what was going on at first, but was able to quickly assess things and generally the car was fine, so I kept on to my destination a short ways down the road. When I got out of the car, I looked the car over and noticed a small chip out of the drivers-side window, right in line with my head ! So I figure a rock was probably flung from another car's tires and was whizzing right for my head, fortunately stopped by the window glass. If I'd had my window down and the rock had smacked me in the head, who knows what would have happened ? It's a sobering thought in a way. For me the take-home message is that we all should be as aware and prepared as possible -while still having fun, of course :p

Cheers, Mike G.

·
Registered
587 Posts
About 5 years ago, I was driving down a street in my neighborhood with the windows open when I heard a loud crack from the passenger side.

I drove the last 1/5th of a mile to my house and got out to look at the passenger side of my car.

There was a perfectly hemispherical chip in the middle of the rear quarter panel. I walk back down the street to find my neighbor's 10-year-old (I think) son was playng "moving target practice" with his new BB gun!!!

I had quite a talk with his parents, and quite understandably they were very apologetic and a bit nervous too. They offered to pay for the whole repair... of course the only thing I was thinking was what if he had aimed a little higher and to the right!!

Thankfully I've moved since then - I really can't imagine what kind of parents in this day and age would give their 10-year-old a gun -- and this was in a heavily populated suburb of New York City!

- John

·
Registered
479 Posts
My grandfather has a little canister of pieces of broken glass. The glass is from his rear windows when someone took a random pot-shot at his car with a gun in Washington DC. Nice town...good thing they missed his head else I wouldn't be here.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Several years ago my girlfriend showed me a small but very deep ding in the roof of her 260Z. It very nearly punched all the way through the sheet metal. I didn't tell her, but I have no doubt it was from a bullet that some ******* shot randomly into the sky.

Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts