The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rolling into work yesterday I hit a pothole on the interstate so hard my speaker grill popped off and my light switch panel popped out of the dash.... -eek-

I really thought I had destroyed a rim and tire at the least and maybe worse. After pulling into the parking lot (a mile away) I climb out and start inspecting....

NOTHING :coolnana: No rim damage, no tire damage... nothing :confused: So I went into work, expecting to have a low/flat tire after sitting there all day, but, no.... Tire still up, drove her home with no shakes, no pulling side to side, absolutely nothing.

It amazes that my Elise took an impact hard enough to pop off a speaker grill and drop the light switch out of the panel and shrugged it off like it was nothing.

I guess this is not as fragile as it seems :cool:

Zig

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
wow - i'm impressed and happy - i hit one less forcefully than your encounter and was sure i had totalled my left front. Like you i was waiting for it to show in the handling, but like yours - it's fine. Question - my light panel is held in with screws......was it just the top part of your panel that popped out?

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
I'd put the wheel on a spin-balancer just because. Look for hops and have it rebalanced.

Rolling into work yesterday I hit a pothole on the interstate so hard my speaker grill popped off and my light switch panel popped out of the dash.... -eek-

I really thought I had destroyed a rim and tire at the least and maybe worse. After pulling into the parking lot (a mile away) I climb out and start inspecting....

NOTHING :coolnana: No rim damage, no tire damage... nothing :confused: So I went into work, expecting to have a low/flat tire after sitting there all day, but, no.... Tire still up, drove her home with no shakes, no pulling side to side, absolutely nothing.

It amazes that my Elise took an impact hard enough to pop off a speaker grill and drop the light switch out of the panel and shrugged it off like it was nothing.

I guess this is not as fragile as it seems :cool:

Zig

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
The panel which has the push buttons to turn the headlamps on/off just have spring-loaded tabs holding it in on my 05 Elise.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
this is also the start button panel - yes? Ive got 2 phillips machine screws on the bottom (In the recessed cubby) The top has clips but i unscrew the bottom, then it hinges out at the top. Early car.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I smashed one today. Exige with track pack spring setup. Felt like a sledgehammer but everything appears fine.

·
Back to the Future, again
6,154 Posts
I've been surprised at how well this car handles the crappy LA roads with no apparent affect at all on the car while my BMW alignment can be bent just by touching a parking space curb feeler.

·
3Xtothe0[]
489 Posts
Potholes rattle your teeth and feel like you destroyed your car but considering your whole chassis vibrates the impact, even a small one, it is just anoter unique aspect to our cars.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I also hit a pothole and thought I destroyed the whole front of the car. Nothing. No wobble, no damage, nothing at all. Amazing, especially when everyone's telling me that you can breathe on the fiberglass panels and they'll shatter.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Just another aspect of the "exceptional telepathic road feel" that is alway cited by people who review Lotus cars. If you can feel it when your car goes over a paint stripe, which is only a 32nd of an inch thick, a 4 inch chughole is 128 times the "feel".

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wow - i'm impressed and happy - i hit one less forcefully than your encounter and was sure i had totalled my left front. Like you i was waiting for it to show in the handling, but like yours - it's fine. Question - my light panel is held in with screws......was it just the top part of your panel that popped out?
No, it was hanging by wires. It's an 05 and no screws, it just pops into place.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did my own spin balance check this weekend :shift:. Found a stretch of interstate with no cars in site and rolled her up to 140. Still smooth as always and no pulling. I will probably get it checked anyway when I go pick the Vette up from Jimmy's next week.

·
Registered
817 Posts
no symptoms, you are likely safe.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I would check your suspension, see if anything bent. including the rear toe link, inner and outer ball link joint, unless you only hit the front wheel and not back at all

·
Registered
124 Posts
Car suspension is pretty strong. It might be worth getting a geometry check but if the steering wheel is still straight and the car does not pull to the left or right you are probably fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts