The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all. I am moving from Shanghai to either HK or Singapore. In the process of choosing where to live, one of the main factors to consider is the price of a new Elise R in each country. Anyone know off hand how much it costs? (I prefer Singapore to live, but car prices are way too high so I might just choose HK, cos I need my Elise !)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For Asia countries import duties on cars and the complicated process don't make it worthwhile. I've been Lotusless for two years now since they don't sell them here, so can't wait to get to either HK or Singapore. I believe the last time I lived in Singapore, a new Elise R cost about US$ 185,000 incuding COE. Now prices are higher. Just want to know how much in HK now for a new Elise....

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Both have crazy high prices compared to the US. HK has really high taxes and license fees which make the car cost more than twice the US. Not sure about Singapore but I imagine it must be similar. The singapore governemt may have even higher taxes though, not sure.

I think I'd rather live in HK though, personally.

Edit: asking my friends, they say Singapore is likely the more expensive one. Can't tell you by how much though

·
Registered
34 Posts
DeanAsh, The HK dealer is doing a promotion right now and you can have a 2009 Elise S (only 2 left) for HKD399,000. FYI. I believe they are normally listed for HKD480,000 or there about. Hope this helps.

Reindeer

·
Registered
14 Posts
HK and Singapore both have high taxes on cars but I believe its cheaper in HK to buy and own the car. Singapore has alot of other cost involved with ownership which make owning any car costly.

HK registration fees are based on capacity so at 1.8L, its really not that bad.

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
IIRC import taxes are in the 40% or worse range. E-mail me and I'll put you in touch with a friend in HK who has done this several times.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. I was in HK last week. Taxi drove past the dealership and in the window was an Isotope Exige with my name on it.... Also checked Singapore prices, for an Elise SC, currently SG$ 213,800 + COE, which currently stands at SG$ 40,000, so on the road for about US $ 183,000. Ridiculous if you ask me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks guys. I was in HK last week. Taxi drove past the dealership and in the window was an Isotope Exige with my name on it.... Also checked Singapore prices, for an Elise SC, currently SG$ 213,800 + COE, which currently stands at SG$ 40,000, so on the road for about US $ 183,000. Ridiculous if you ask me.
Hi there, I'm working at the Lotus Dealership in Singapore and we've got a special deal on our last S240 if you do happen to come to Singapore and if u dun mind an S240 over an Elise R :)

·
likes to drive fast
1,127 Posts
The thing I quite miss about SG is the tarmac. The road in SG is phenomenon. I don't even recall seeing a pot hole there...ever. Or maybe they are just so efficient at repairing road defects.

I recommend Old Upper Thomson Road for a good drive, which btw, hosted its last GP in 1973.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The thing I quite miss about SG is the tarmac. The road in SG is phenomenon. I don't even recall seeing a pot hole there...ever. Or maybe they are just so efficient at repairing road defects.

I recommend Old Upper Thomson Road for a good drive, which btw, hosted its last GP in 1973.
No potholes indeed. But we are always digging our roads cause everything is underground in Singapore....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cars in SG are not particularly cheap - I have had the conversation with a friend there several times.

Elise's in SG: Used Lotus Elise Car & Used Cars & Vehicles Singapore - sgCarMart
you're right, they arent, which is also why luxury cars make sense in a way....
since ur already paying so much, might as well go for something you really like..
that being said though, labour costs arent tt crazy yet so the maintenance of the car (mechanically) is quite alright

1 - 15 of 15 Posts