The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that my gauges often are not set to 0 when the car is off. See pictures below. When I start and drive the car the RPM and MPH gauges are incorrect by the amount the gauges start out above 0, if that makes sense. For example, in the first picture, the RPM gauge is 500 RPM above 0. When I start the car the engine idles normally but the gauge reads 500 RPM above its normal level.

Using the RPM example above, when I shut the car off the gauge will not settle at 0 but instead will still settle at 500 RPM. If I come back to the car a minute later after all the internal lights/dash have turned off and I open the car door, the dash and interior lights will come on and the gauges will reset to their correct 0 position - most of the time.

Anyone else experience this?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I'd imagine there is a way to re-cal the gauges. I remember doing it for a car a while back, but I just can't remember which car as I work on so many!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Perhaps it's the same as with the Elige?
For these the gauges recalibrate within 3 seconds of the ignition being turned on. The manual says that if they hang you:
1. open drivers door
2. press and hold the trip odometer reset button
3. turn on the ignition

·
Registered
736 Posts
Your car is sleep-revving. rotfl :rolleyes:

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MadMan, good one! I also love your footnote at the bottom of your message. That is awesome!!

My service center already got a reply back from Lotus and they said to replace the gauge cluster.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
the fact they do go down to zero at some point suggests there is some residual power keeping the miscalibration. Keep in mind when you power down, the power to the cluster doesn't shut down completely, even though the lights go out. If you look closely, you can still read the displays without the backlight.

Anyway, if Lotus is changing them out, great. Maybe it's a good time to also ask them to inspect the steering wheel and door locks, as there are recent TSBs published about them.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks squidward.

When I purchased the car they explained the the door lock issue had already been taken care of.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
MadMan, good one! I also love your footnote at the bottom of your message. That is awesome!!

My service center already got a reply back from Lotus and they said to replace the gauge cluster.
Couldn't help myself.
And thanks for the footnote comment.
Might not do much or anything at all, but have you tried disconnecting the battery and leaving it off for awhile?
Your member ID name is ironically tied into this. Your car is running wild.
It's experiencing launch control envy. It's trying to fit in :p :panic:

·
Illegal Alien
5,147 Posts
on start up do the needles go through their dance to max and then back?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Your Lotus is just in REM dream mode as it imagines itself racing around the next great corner with you! Shhh Let is sleep...

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys! Fun stuff! :D Yes, the gauges do go through their cycle each time I turn on the ignition. I also have the slow running clock.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Beware about resale if guages are replaced and you get a Fed sticker saying the odo has been replaced. This can be a big $ problem, trust me. Do anything you can to avoid having a "not actual mileage" on the title. -eek-

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
Proper mileage can be entered into Evora speedos unlike then Elige speedos. At least that is what my shop guy told me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts