Discussion Starter #1

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
I wanna see more pics of that sedan.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
I do hope those are just renderings/early prototype pics of the next car...

because if that is what the next car looks like then an Evora is definitely my next major car purchase...

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stole a Ferrari front end.

If it handled like a Lotus and did not weigh a huge number Icould see it. Accereration is nice.

·
Less is Better
2,631 Posts
Oh crap, they're going to ruin Lotus. Notice they never mentioned anything about the weight of an electric drivetrain. And we know the Evija isn't going to be anything close to light weight. This line is one of the worst things you could say to a Lotus enthusiast: "the new model as a “significant engineering programme” that addresses “some of the negatives of our current cars” such as space, storage and on-board connectivity ". I translate this to mean that they're making a Porsche!

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
I have heard they are wanting to become direct challenger to Porsche in the consumer / road market...

and the renderings look like a first year auto design student trying to use the Evija body to cover a pic of an Evora...

·
purveyor of lightness
4,150 Posts
  • Front view is gorgeous and distinctly Lotus.
  • Side view is very 328->488 Ferrari.
  • Rear view has photochopped C7 Corvette lights pasted into the Evija's holes. OMFG :(
  • Also needs to have a removable roof. Don't care about storing it in the car ala Elige. :)
  • Doors seem to be conventional and not McLaren "dihedral"
  • If this is the electric sports car it needs to have ~500hp & ~500 lb/ft and weigh < 2700 lbs. otherwise the power-to-weight ratio is moot and the C8 Corvette would beat it. That would give it a 2.8 zero-to-sixty time, a 5.8 zero-to-100, a quarter mile of 10.5 @ 136mph and top speed of 180mph. Fast enough!

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
760 Posts
What a not-Chapman approach. Replace a high density power source with a lower density one with current cachet at the expense of performance: Function follows form (and fashion), and Complicate and Subtract Lightness.

I'll keep my 190 HP / 1980 lb Elise burning pickled dinosaurs over 300 hp/3000 lbs, thanks.

I'd be much more interested to see something like metal hydride fuel storage and/or a hybrid drivetrain optimized for peak output, low weight, and efficient four wheel regenerative braking which, again, would be a lot easier to pull off if you weren't dragging around half a ton of batteries...

And yeah, those tail lights must go.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
It’s a rendering using Bahars Elise, an Evora and the evija.

If it’s designed based on one of those (or even two) it will be ok and I’m pretty confident Lotus will design a good one so I don’t think it’ll be anything like this mishmashed mess.

I’m ok with them going electric in the future. They’ve always been an innovative company so why not lead the way in BEVs. Once they’re the best handling and lightest in their respective group and it’s a lotus as far as I’m concerned

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
760 Posts
I’m ok with them going electric in the future. They’ve always been an innovative company so why not lead the way in BEVs. Once they’re the best handling and lightest in their respective group and it’s a lotus as far as I’m concerned
I'm OK with them going electric in the future as long as it does not compromise the ability of the car. If it does, then function is following form, which is the opposite of how you engineer a solution.

Further, I'd argue that at this late date (Millions of Teslas, Volts, Bolts, Leafs, 500Es, etc on the road), it is not innovative to build a lithium battery pure EV. I can kick the tires of five of them a day without looking very hard. It wouldn't even be innovative to build it with a monocoque tub like the first Tesla roadster (based on the S2 Elise). BTDT - in fact Tesla is bringing out a new roadster. Unless Geely has some secret sauce, I doubt they're going to get better energy/mass than Tesla, with its integrated supply chain, does.

Far better to do something actually novel, but that wouldn't feed directly into the Geely and Volvo mass production lines like a mass produced pure EV Lotus will.

·
Registered
64 Posts
It looks nice, I am hoping to see more photos of it, but then again will it be worth it to just produce EVs?

·
Registered
147 Posts
There is basically no competition for sub $1MM electric sports cars. If you consider the Taycan a sports car you still really have nothing sub $150k. If Lotus can make a truly compelling EV package in the $70k-$100k range they could really start building a substantial presence. I think the biggest issue with EV sports cars right now though is you can't really track them because the battery is going to be depleted after a single session and take too long to recharge to be viable. The range issue also becomes and problem for even going on fun drives because spirited driving severely reduces range and the good roads are often a decent drive from the city to start with. For commuter cars they make a lot of sense but they become a much harder sell for enthusiast vehicles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts