The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone contemplating this? It's more expensive than a regular track day, but for 495.00 you are getting only 2 run groups all day. (15 cars per run group). I'm going back and forth about it, but it sounds like a good time. September 17th, 2008 @ Thunderhill Raceway in Willows, CA.

Sports & Exotics is a special track event that was created based on customer input from those who would like a bit more time and space on the track. With only 2 run groups of 15 cars each, this event almost always gets reviews like, "The best time I've ever had at the track!"
A full breakfast and lunch is served, meetings are held to a minimum, coaches are available as needed, and everyone gets so much track time that most end up pooping out before the end of the day. The two run groups are loosely defined as "Race-Prepped" cars – with racing safety gear, running with mandatory point-by passing – and – Exotics (we have a non-snooty image of what exotics are) cars driven by mature adults who are looking for lots of practice on an uncluttered track, without lots of external disturbances. There are no "de-brief" meetings, as most drivers in need of coaching are served on an individual basis. Bottom line: Sports & Exotics is for those drivers who are looking for TONS of track time (3.5 hours!), and an intimate, semi-private feel to the day on track, and camaraderie with other autophiles like themselves
..:: Hooked On Driving ::..

·
Registered
935 Posts
I didn't see specifics about the exotics catagory.
Do you need safety equipment, ie: helmet,fire suits, harness, and how much does coaching usually cost.
Is this something you could drive to or would you trailer your car, I'm 93 miles away.

·
Registered
494 Posts
IME (and not the gospel) it's still an HPDE event. Even for race-prepped cars we're talking about point-by passing -- so there's never any surprises when you turn down to the apex.

So in short, you need a helmet and a well maintained car. Some folks will drive in, some will trailer in. Assuming I'm there and in a pure race car, I'll still play by those same rules and not be quite as on the edge or as aggressive as I would be during an pure test day. At the same time, I would expect the same from cars faster than myself.

The only thing that might hold me back would be getting the nose of my car repaired from a bit of a kerfuffle I had over the weekend racing at Sears.

Steve

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Been thinking about it for a little while now....
Thinking it might not be best since I'm beginner and there will be some high HP cars out there.
A different HOD event would probably be better (and cheaper)

loki: are you an instructor for HOD? Not sure what your comment above is supposed to mean :)

·
Registered
215 Posts
I didn't see specifics about the exotics catagory.
Do you need safety equipment, ie: helmet,fire suits, harness, and how much does coaching usually cost.
Is this something you could drive to or would you trailer your car, I'm 93 miles away.
The exotics are a loose catagory, kind of your idea of exotic, the driving will be polite with point by passing and no equipment other than helmet necessary. The sports will be more race prepared cars but still only a helmet is necessary. We don't expect and truly discourage contact and "agricultural" experiences. Coaching is available for all, all day, no extra charge. Check out ..:: Hooked On Driving ::.. schedule for info.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
def- it's about double the cost. But you also get almost x2 the seat time. Main thing is they seem to do away with the "de-brief" meetings. Was there when they had a "Lotus" day, think it was a big help for a newbie. Then again if you hook up with a fellow owner like loki for a instructor that can be a big plus.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Yup, think it was the first time I drove Laguna Seca. Had Loki take my car out for a few laps, that was a big help. :up:

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Having done a full HoD event as a novice...I'd recommend the Friday event instead of the Sports and Exotics event as your first. I'm only considering the Sports and Exotics event because I've been to one of their track days and I understand what they are and are not offering that day.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Thinking it might not be best since I'm beginner and there will be some high HP cars out there.
I wouldn't let that stop you at all. If anything, it's better to be around fast cars, because you give them a quick point, and they take off. And with so much track time, no one is under any pressure to get by anyone else. And with at most 15 cars on track, there just won't be that many cars around. For the first session or two, just go out last and you'll get at least 6 or 7 laps before anyone catches you under even really pessimistic assumptions.

Steve

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Listen to Steve and LarryB, they know WAY more about this stuff than me. :D

·
Registered
215 Posts
A different HOD event would probably be better (and cheaper)

loki: are you an instructor for HOD? Not sure what your comment above is supposed to mean :)
Yes I am an instructor with HOD specializing in Lotus and mid engine and momentum cars (Exiges and SC Elises are somewhat in between). I plan on being there coaching which means I don't pay for track time (if I get any) but I wear out faster coaching than driving so get to me early! Don't worry about the high HP cars. If you want, sign up with the exotics (we ARE exotic!) and pretty well pick your pace with only 15 cars on the track. It is more expensive but a rare chance to get wide open track practice.
;)

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
That is a nice added factor, typically you'll have x2 more cars on track. Don't really have any track days plan until Nov., now you got me thinking about it. Loki do you know how many spot are open in the "exotic" group?

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm really considering it as well, as I'm definitely getting the itch to get out on TH again. :D

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
For me that is part of it. Plan on Seca and Sears Point in Oct/Nov/Dec. Want to fit T-Hill in again this year, last time I drove it was in April. Looking forward to the fresh pavement.

·
Registered
215 Posts
That is a nice added factor, typically you'll have x2 more cars on track. Don't really have any track days plan until Nov., now you got me thinking about it. Loki do you know how many spot are open in the "exotic" group?
Don't know but if it shows available go for it! I'm pretty sure they are not full groups even at 15.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Looks like I'm going to be good to go. Is anyone else going to go?

I was thinking of going on Friday, but the extra track time is tempting :)

Steve

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Must convince wife I need to go...must convince. :D

I'll post here if I do sign up.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts