The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed a few 2011's priced in the mid 40's.....am I missing something here? I would like to buy one but why is the Evora losing value so quickly?:confused:

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
I have noticed a few 2011's priced in the mid 40's.....am I missing something here? I would like to buy one but why is the Evora losing value so quickly?:confused:
It isn't in demand. There are plenty of new Evoras on dealer lots.

San

·
Premium Member
7,553 Posts
Just look at prices on Eliges. We'll drop till ~5yrs old then rebound esp if production ceases.

·
Registered
795 Posts
They're not holding value for all the reasons that have been discussed ad nauseam on this forum. I'm not sure I'd want to wait out five years or the end of production to change cars. Lotus' market right now is almost exclusively other Evora owners and Elise owners who fancy themselves trading up. That's a limited market. You want to sell your Evora? Find another Lotus owner who'll buy it off you privately.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
They are just incredible cars, I'm not sure why either...other than the fact they suffer from typically British resale...

·
Registered
606 Posts
Because of the stigma that was addressed in that one thread earlier last week, "why buy an evora". People see it as a Camry engine wrapped around a $100k body. So probably doesn't even register on the radar as far as a potential car when 911/jag/benz potential owners are looking for something.

We all know how special the evora is, but can't honestly say the general public does. Or when they do, they don't think of it as the bargain we all know it is. Same with the Elige.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Small dealer network
Some dealers not so good
Poor to no marketing
People just do not know enough about the car and make snap judgments about the car without driving one.

People ask me all the time "who makes Lotus?" :facepalm

I still think the car is a bargain and suffers from no more problems than any other car.
As far as the engine. really? really?
I have seen to many people on the track with way too much engine and stinking up the place for everyone. The race is not in the straights but the twist.
sort of like golf. a lot of guys can make the long drive, but cannot putt worth a crap. The short game it where it's at, but golf marketing is all in oversize drivers and balls with more distance

There is a "replacement for displacement"

is called "simplify and add lightness" :UK:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Not a lot of cars out there in this arena hold their value. Aston, Ferrari, Maserati, McLaren etc. all depreciate rather quickly. Now I suppose it can be debated if the Evora belongs with those brands. Heck even an M3 will drop like a rock. Thats life and most accept that fact going in.

·
Registered
346 Posts
My 2010 ford edge has lost 50%+ in value maybe in the last 3-4 years, a 2011 Evora could have been bought for low-mid 60's. A 2013 S IPS have been purchased for $75k. Doubtful my 2013 will be valued at $37k in 3-4years. Im hoping for $55-60k in 3-4 years (which looks very likely), those figures are nearly Jeep Wrangler resale value ballpark.

But if you pay retail/sticker/msrp your going to get hammered.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Don't forget that the Evora had a bunch of significant changes for the 2012 model year.

The 2012s seem to be holding their value much better than the earlier years.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Small dealer network
Some dealers not so good
Poor to no marketing
People just do not know enough about the car and make snap judgments about the car without driving one.

People ask me all the time "who makes Lotus?" :facepalm

I still think the car is a bargain and suffers from no more problems than any other car.
As far as the engine. really? really?
I have seen to many people on the track with way too much engine and stinking up the place for everyone. The race is not in the straights but the twist.
sort of like golf. a lot of guys can make the long drive, but cannot putt worth a crap. The short game it where it's at, but golf marketing is all in oversize drivers and balls with more distance

There is a "replacement for displacement"

is called "simplify and add lightness" :UK:
Who makes Lotus? Sort of a chicken or the egg question. Probably wouldn't be asked if the cars weren't depreciating at the rate they are. Hence the cost for that elusive exclusivity factor.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
It's a niche market. If the Elise and Exige were still coming to the U.S., their values would be bad too - especially considering how much the price crept from when they were introduced as a $40K car.

·
Premium Member
7,553 Posts
Don't forget that the Evora had a bunch of significant changes for the 2012 model year.

The 2012s seem to be holding their value much better than the earlier years.
That statement doesn't hold water as vehicle is just plain newer. Personally I have no complaints about their values esp once the original excess MSRP scenario has been corrected. Any top shelf car that can be driven for 5K /yr is doing fine IMHO!

·
Registered
165 Posts
That statement doesn't hold water as vehicle is just plain newer.
Well, looking at Auto Trader, the cheapest 2012 is $62K. The cheapest 2011 is $48K.

So, there seems to be more going on than just the normal depreciation from the 2011s being a year older.

·
Premium Member
7,553 Posts
And maybe you're looking at 50K miles v 2K. ???

·
Registered
6,956 Posts
Yes, you are missing something. You are missing the fun of driving a Lotus whenever you want.

A car purchase is nearly always a bad investment. The few examples otherwise just prove the rule.

If you buy a new Evora, it will depreciate. You probably won't get your money back. You MAY get a fair amount back, BUT if you get the Lotus and actually drive it..you know...get some enjoyment out of your purchase, the cars with higher miles will of course be worth less.

If you drive it very little with an eye towards minimizing depreciation...just remember that's all your doing...not enjoying the car and minimizing, not eliminating depreciation.

There is a guy on the Solstice forum who bought one of the 1100 total Solstice Coupes made. It's far rarer than the Elise and about as rare as the Exige. He goes on there about every six months with an update on how few miles he put on it. I think, buying it in 09 he still has less than 1000 miles. He openly says he's done it as an investment. Thing is right now his car is worth MAYBE what he's paid for it, but he's gotten no driving enjoyment, he's using up square footage in his garage, and that $30K he spent on a car he doesn't drive could have been working for him these last five years if he'd put it to better use.

He was absolutely appalled that mine was my daily driver and that I had 22K on it after 2 years.

If the price is something you can swing, find an Evora you like, buy it, then start driving and enjoying the darn thing. New ones are selling 'cheap' so while you'll lose some money when you go to sell, you probably won't lose a whole lot.

Besides, you'll probably start doing mods...an ECU flash here, a new front splitter there, some interior upgrades, exhaust, maybe a different diffuser, or even wheels/tires.

You won't get any of THAT money back, either.

And who knows, maybe the Evora WILL be the exception to the 'cars as investment' rule.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Yes, you are missing something. You are missing the fun of driving a Lotus whenever you want.

A car purchase is nearly always a bad investment. The few examples otherwise just prove the rule.

If you buy a new Evora, it will depreciate. You probably won't get your money back. You MAY get a fair amount back, BUT if you get the Lotus and actually drive it..you know...get some enjoyment out of your purchase, the cars with higher miles will of course be worth less.

If you drive it very little with an eye towards minimizing depreciation...just remember that's all your doing...not enjoying the car and minimizing, not eliminating depreciation.

There is a guy on the Solstice forum who bought one of the 1100 total Solstice Coupes made. It's far rarer than the Elise and about as rare as the Exige. He goes on there about every six months with an update on how few miles he put on it. I think, buying it in 09 he still has less than 1000 miles. He openly says he's done it as an investment. Thing is right now his car is worth MAYBE what he's paid for it, but he's gotten no driving enjoyment, he's using up square footage in his garage, and that $30K he spent on a car he doesn't drive could have been working for him these last five years if he'd put it to better use.

He was absolutely appalled that mine was my daily driver and that I had 22K on it after 2 years.

If the price is something you can swing, find an Evora you like, buy it, then start driving and enjoying the darn thing. New ones are selling 'cheap' so while you'll lose some money when you go to sell, you probably won't lose a whole lot.

Besides, you'll probably start doing mods...an ECU flash here, a new front splitter there, some interior upgrades, exhaust, maybe a different diffuser, or even wheels/tires.

And who knows, maybe the Evora WILL be the exception to the 'cars as investment' rule.
what he said :up::clap: +1

·
Registered
2,383 Posts

·
Premium Member
260 Posts

+ 1

I purchased a 2013 NA IPS with 27 miles on it back in late Jan. 2014 and I now have 3,000 miles on it in just a little over 3 months and LOVING EVERY MILE BEHIND THE WHEEL!

A car is meant to be driven. It's what brings a smile to my face. You want to make an investment, go buy some bonds or invest in the stock market. You want excitement - go buy AND DRIVE an Evora! :)

1 - 20 of 74 Posts